07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

17 minutes ago, zeebodaclown said:

See...I'm not convinced.  

He's "shining a light into the wreckage", which to me means the Bookmobile is in the bottom of the San Francisco Bay...and he's "still breathing on my own" because he refuses to use scuba gear to retrieve it....because he's a badass

You sold me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

I'm very open minded. Complaining about a song being generic is completely unrelated to open-mindedness.

Except an open-minded person wouldn't draw any conclusions off of a premature song leak :P

Just now, Z J said:

where exactly is this marketing? 

On mobile so won't link to exact articles but all the interviews and Rolling Stone articles they referred to the album as what I wrote above.

I like this song a lot. It's a little bit more pop punk-ish than ordinary Green Day as we know them, but this is an emotional song. When I was listening to the chorus and thought what it means for Billie, it brought little tears to my eyes. I'm emotional person and I've had my own mental struggles, so it hits me hard too. Like someone said, this might be a huge hit and it's awesome.

Just now, Harry Potter. said:

On mobile so won't link to exact articles but all the interviews and Rolling Stone articles they referred to the album as what I wrote above.

burden of proof, etc. etc. 

So I've noticed something. Unlike Bang Bang and RevRad, the vocals are actually loud enough in this song. I feel like the chorus doesn't sound as big as it should though, I feel like this song would have actually been better under Rob Cavallo's production, at least on songs like WMUWSE and boulevard the choruses sounded big and heavy, it seems like heavier guitars were buried in this one, and I feel like Mike could have added in a few more bass lines

3 minutes ago, Z J said:

Except an open-minded person wouldn't draw any conclusions off of a premature song leak :P

It doesn't matter if I listened to the song today or tomorrow on a streaming service. The quality of the leak I heard was allegedly 320kbps. Even though the quality wasn't actually that good, it was definitely good enough to base an opinion on.

Just listened, I like it. I like it a lot. I like how different and Un typical it is of green day, billie sounds very pure and true in terms of emotion and lyrical content. 

The only thing that bothered me was the production on the vocals, they almost sound auto tuned. It kills the song a little bit but a good, honest track none the less

First time it was like idk how I feel about it. It's definitely really weird hearing Billie singing a melody like this for some reason combined with the low gain guitars in the beginning. I was thinking at first that it sounded kinda like a generic rock song (which I still kinda feel) but the second listen right now and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I'd imagine this would get a little bit of AirPlay on pop stations along with rock stations. There's still another 9 songs to go though so I'm really excited to hear what else there is to come.

Also not to be one of THOSE guys bu I do think it would have sounded better if the vocals sounded a little more natural like Wake Me Up When September Ends style production

7 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

It doesn't matter if I listened to the song today or tomorrow on a streaming service. The quality of the leak I heard was allegedly 320kbps. Even though the quality wasn't actually that good, it was definitely good enough to base an opinion on.

knee-jerk reactions are always accurate, you're right. Not saying you'll like the song, not saying I do, just saying music needs a little bit more time, especially from a band of this stature

My reading of this song is that it's almost reflecting on writing a song about such a heavy subject. "Shine a light into the wreckage, so far away/cause I'm still breathing." Kind of the idea that it's ok to sit back and think about the bad things that you've been through and even share those experiences with others, because you're on the other side now and you can be honest with yourself about that period of your life. 

Some of the analogies I'm still wrapping my head around, a bit. I guess with every analogy—soldier/junkie/single mom—he's saying that they are/were all on the brink of losing it but didn't. But the beginning analogies, about the child and the ambulance, are more about looking into the future, I think—a child imagining the vastness beyond the horizon, and an ambulance going to save someone from an emergency. I'd like to know what other people think of it when you break down the lyrics, though.

Ugh I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something but I reallly don't like it. The guitars sound like they're from a Pink song. The "woahs" at the end sound straight from blink's new album. I really didn't find the chorus that catchy. It sounds like a lot of stuff I hear on Top 40 stations and really doesn't bring anything new to the table. Doesn't sound like anything Green Day has ever made, but not in a Nightlife/Kill the DJ experimental way, just in a boring One Direction/Katy Perry way. Frankly, I really dislike it and I'm only holding back on my emotions bc people here and on r/GreenDay seem to like it and I'm afraid of getting torn apart. I'm sorry, but as a fan of Green Day's music 90s to now, this is the poppiest and most boring song they've ever written, and I'd prefer songs like Makeout Party and Troublemaker over this crap.

I also like how much the songs we listened to have varied completely. A lot of dynamic writing so far. I think this would be a song that definitely sounds better live.

It is entirely different from what I expected though, I was expecting a "Famous Last Words" by MCR kind of feel for some reason about still kicking around and stuff

Just now, Grinch said:

I also like how much the songs we listened to have varied completely. A lot of dynamic writing so far. I think this would be a song that definitely sounds better live 

And interestingly enough, they all have this immediate quality where I can just HEAR them live in my mind. These concerts are going to be (rev) rad. 

18 minutes ago, Z J said:

What does that even mean? It's a high quality leak lol

I finally heard the whole song

AWFUL

I couldn't belive it was Green Day. I heard One Direction, 5sos etc, not Green Day. It's not going to be a hit anyway cause shitty music like this is just everywhere. Yes, to me it's a shitty song and I hate it.

I love BB and I recently liked RR but this is the worst thing they've ever made. It really hurts ;( 

I also don't see how it's experimental and "trying something new" when it's what pop artists have been doing for decades.

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Ugh I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something but I reallly don't like it. The guitars sound like they're from a Pink song. The "woahs" at the end sound straight from blink's new album. I really didn't find the chorus that catchy. It sounds like a lot of stuff I hear on Top 40 stations and really doesn't bring anything new to the table. Doesn't sound like anything Green Day has ever made, but not in a Nightlife/Kill the DJ experimental way, just in a boring One Direction/Katy Perry way. Frankly, I really dislike it and I'm only holding back on my emotions bc people here and on r/GreenDay seem to like it and I'm afraid of getting torn apart. I'm sorry, but as a fan of Green Day's music 90s to now, this is the poppiest and most boring song they've ever written, and I'd prefer songs like Makeout Party and Troublemaker over this crap.

Dont worry dude, youre not the only one. I dont like it that bad too :/

I also feel like although Billie's vocals are good here, they sound very fake and forced. Kind of feminine. I thought I got a bad link and it was a Billie imitator at first. 

Why is pop = bad though?  It's got great lyrics and a good melody.

Frankly, it's the production and the mixing that I don't like 

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I also don't see how it's experimental and "trying something new" when it's what pop artists have been doing for decades.

New for them. I doubt anyone means it sounds so new like its never been done before. Pop music is cool, man I use to remember thinking I was so cool hating Katy Perry and stuff. 

7 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I wouldn't worry about getting torn apart on this board, from my experience the insults tend to be pretty cringeworthy lol

Tell us how you really feel. I'll fight them off by your side lol

I really like this song, especially the lyrics (even though they continue Billie's overuse of similes :P)

Archived