07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

I heard it on the radio today for the first time!  

The sound quality was not as good as the cd, but that's normal I suppose.   

I hope this song climbs to #1.    

So ready for the next single!!!!!!  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I heard it on the radio today for the first time!  

The sound quality was not as good as the cd, but that's normal I suppose.   

I hope this song climbs to #1.    

So ready for the next single!!!!!!  

I had to hear it on the radio to realize how much it stands out. It's super catchy, even for a green day song. 

25 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I had to hear it on the radio to realize how much it stands out. It's super catchy, even for a green day song. 

I'm always thrilled to hear their newer songs on radio.  I hardly ever listen to radio, so if I'M hearing it, it must be getting played a lot.   

Funny thing is I had the cd playing and when I switched to radio, there they were again.    Anyone have that where you're either listening to a song or thinking of a song and it comes on right then?    Very cool.     

10 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Anyone have that where you're either listening to a song or thinking of a song and it comes on right then?    Very cool.     

Happens once in a while! It's so cool 

• 2 weeks later...

I love this song! After the last year I had it really got to me. Started crying the first time I heard it. After every thing that had happen both I and all of Green Day was after all still breathing and still alive.

On a nother note some times I kind of feel like it is too fast, like Billie is rushing through the lyrics. I find the song caming in a away, but some times the speed of it feels moore stressfull...I don't know, not sure if I know myself what I mean..:ermm::lol:

I have also been wondering if some of it has the same beat as when you do CPR to a person having cardiac arrest (100 compressions per minute)...like I've heard that the song Stayin' Alive by The Bee Gees has this beat, but I don't know...

This song is such a grower and now I can't stop listening to it. What do y'all think it's chances are of crossing over from alternative & rock to mainstream charts?

1 hour ago, neverdone2000 said:

This song is such a grower and now I can't stop listening to it. What do y'all think it's chances are of crossing over from alternative & rock to mainstream charts?

There is a chance, but I don't think it will a smash hit like BOBD and 21 Guns were. The music scene has changed and though the song will do well, I don't see it beating the likes of 21 Pilots and other hip hop-infused alternative bands ruling the airwaves.

On 16. 12. 2016 at 8:16 PM, Green333Day said:

On a nother note some times I kind of feel like it is too fast, like Billie is rushing through the lyrics. I find the song caming in a away, but some times the speed of it feels moore stressfull...I don't know, not sure if I know myself what I mean..:ermm::lol:

I have also been wondering if some of it has the same beat as when you do CPR to a person having cardiac arrest (100 compressions per minute)...like I've heard that the song Stayin' Alive by The Bee Gees has this beat, but I don't know...

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. Sometimes it sounds like Billie struggles to sing all the lyrics and keep it understandable/in tune. 

I guess it's faster but I can't say a number for sure. Last time I heard the song was on Wednesday last week. Lol (I remember because I woke up, turned on a radio and it was on. Made my day.)

I heard this song 5 times today in a very short span of time.  I switch between 6 or more radio stations and the rock station, alternative station and the "We play everything" station were all playing it just about every time I got in the car.  

Good to finally hear new Green Day on the radio because around these parts we usually only hear the same ole tracks over and over.  Kind of the like the live show problem of being too heavy on Dookie / Idiot.    

I am fairly certain I've never heard any Warning, Breakdown or Trilogy songs on the radio.  Oh Love once or twice when it came out but that was it.   Nada.  

These are the Green Day songs that are staple of my radio stations:   

All the Dookie singles

Geek Stink Breath and Brainstew/Jaded 

Hitchin a Ride and Good Riddance

American Idiot, Broken Dreams and Holiday 

...................................................................................

BANG BANG and Still Breathing could join the ranks if they don't fade away in the coming months.  

It's sad that with 42 singles only 28.57% of Green Day's singles are getting airtime but that's the nature of the beast I guess.   There's so much music out there I'm glad that they as a whole are a staple of Rock N Roll radio.  

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. Sometimes it sounds like Billie struggles to sing all the lyrics and keep it understandable/in tune. 

I feel this sensation only when they play it live. The song is faster and BJ's voice is not that precise. Talking about the studio version, from this perspective IMO is pure perfection. :)

19 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

All the Dookie singles

Here in Italy (from the very few times I put the radio on, because I prefer watching music videos and charts on MTV Rocks) I noticed that they have the preference for BOBD and WMUWSE. Predictable. :D

11 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

I feel this sensation only when they play it live. The song is faster and BJ's voice is not that precise. Talking about the studio version, from this perspective IMO is pure perfection. :)

Here in Italy (from the very few times I put the radio on, because I prefer watching music videos and charts on MTV Rocks) I noticed that they have the preference for BOBD and WMUWSE. Predictable. :D

True, the studio version feels ok 

44 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

True, the studio version feels ok 

I love the tempo of the studio version. Fast enough to really pull you in but slow enough to hear the lyrics clearly, which with this song is important. 

1 hour ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I heard this song 5 times today in a very short span of time.  I switch between 6 or more radio stations and the rock station, alternative station and the "We play everything" station were all playing it just about every time I got in the car.  

Good to finally hear new Green Day on the radio because around these parts we usually only hear the same ole tracks over and over.  Kind of the like the live show problem of being too heavy on Dookie / Idiot.    

I am fairly certain I've never heard any Warning, Breakdown or Trilogy songs on the radio.  Oh Love once or twice when it came out but that was it.   Nada.  

All the Dookie singles

...................................................................................

BANG BANG and Still Breathing could join the ranks if they don't fade away in the coming months.  

It's sad that with 42 singles only 28.57% of Green Day's singles are getting airtime but that's the nature of the beast I guess.   There's so much music out there I'm glad that they as a whole are a staple of Rock N Roll radio.  

Yeah Still Breathing is on heavy rotation on our alternative station. And they play the songs you mentioned regularly (except Hitchin a Ride), so there is at least hourly Green Day right now. I'm not great at predicting the success of singles on mainstream because the top 100 right now is absolute shit. Hearing Still Breathing on it would restore my faith in today's music, just a little. I have this fantasy that the Armstrong family will lead a punk rock resurgance. I think the climate right now is ripe for it. Even if JB isn't punk, if it gets kids listening to our boys' back catalog that would be great.

Hadn't heard this song for a while and it made me cry all over again, ffs :lol: Billie said in one of the interviews that he wants listeners to relate to and see themselves in songs about him, and he sure nailed that with this one.

Heard it on the radio again this morning twice!   This song is so powerful and I love how it builds and gets more emotional with each verse.   It begins with people in different situations, but the second verse starts really tearing at the heart strings.   A junkie finished with drugs.  boom.   Betting on your last dime.   boom.    You can hear the pain in Billie's soul as he sings about not having a father and a struggling mother.   

Walking out on the ledge.  I feel like he is literally talking about suicide here.   As I listen to it, I can see Billie standing on top of a building.   He's asking himself if he's scared to live.  As he sings about running I imagine him hugging someone close to him and realizing what's important in life.  

I love the music video they did but it can never compare to the one that plays in my head as I listen to this song.   I imagine a huge visual build up during the "ledge" part with Billie running towards his death.   He jumps off He jumps at the "death to live" line and falls.  

As the songs builds to the "running all my life" section the scenes of him falling turn into other shots of him hugging loved ones and the video ends with him surrounded by family and friends as the chorus celebrates with them all.  

Some people take it that maybe he actually died but it's not like that at all.  

He jumped but landed on his feets and kept on going.  

and is in fact, still breathing.    

It´s such a beautiful, powerful, honest song. It´s easily one of my favourite Green Day songs so far. And I think, the whole album would be my favourite GreenDay album. Right now. May change again. Just love it. And I am soooooo much looking forward to the concert! Got my ticket the other day, and keep it in a safe place (and hopefully don´t forget about it...). A local radio station plays Still Breathing quite often. I freak out every time I hear it.

One more month to go, and I will see - and hear! - them. In my VIP lounge. That´s for old people like me. ;-) Cozy chair, glass of wine at hand, extra entrance. And hopefully room enough for dancing and hopping along. :-D

Can´t wait, can´t wait, can´t wait!!!:runaround:

I keep hearing it EVERY TIME I take a cd out and the cars goes to radio, it's playing.  Every single time.  A voice on local rock station talked after the song, and said something like "That's new from Green Day, and fittingly enough, I'm still Breathing because (yadda yadda yadda).      Nice little tidbit for you guys.   

The song sounds weird on radio versus CD though.  I know the quality is not as good but it's just weird sounding on the radio for some reason.    

Man, I have still yet to hear it on the radio! But I look forward to it the most every time I listen to the album, I think it's probably the most meaningful track. Its kind of a bitch to play and sing though. Because the chorus is so different to sing I don't think it will stay in the set for too many tours, but only time will tell.

I'm going to post every time I hear this song on the radio!   93.3 The Planet and 98.5 Alternative X are playing it non stop.  I literally switched from Rev Rad to the radio to hear something else for a bit and there it is again.  So I switch to another station and there it is again!   And even though I was searching for something else, I listened to it all the way through on both stations and then put it on repeat on the cd again.  

I'm very happy for my favorite band to be getting so much airplay.   I just hope it keeps getting played on a regular basis and doesn't fade away after a month.  If BANG BANG can hit #1 this song should reach into the negative numbers for goodness sake.  I was crying in the car on my way home just now.   THIS SONG MAN.   THIS SONG!  

Anybody have any Rev Rad related tattoos yet?   Anyone have any Trilogy related tattoos now that I think about it?  

I'm thinking of a Too Dumb to Die tattoo, lol.    

Anyway.   Still Breathing.  

I'm still breathing.  

On 19.12.2016 at 7:48 PM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Walking out on the ledge.  I feel like he is literally talking about suicide here.   As I listen to it, I can see Billie standing on top of a building.   He's asking himself if he's scared to live. 

He's definitely talking about suicide here. I also think the music video refers to suicide as an option for Billie, actually. Right at the beginning we see him sitting in the car with the motor running, looking deeply depressed. Then when the chorus kicks in, the camera moves fast above a street. I absolutely think that Billie is considering the option of crashing the car against a tree. But then he decides to get out of the car to find other options... the option to stay alive, to still breathe...

Maybe it's just my interpretation, but it makes total sense. I'm getting goosebumps again while writing this. SB is definitely the GD song I can relate to most and that touches something inside of me no other song has ever touched before. :cry:

On 18.12.2016 at 0:14 AM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Funnily enough, I heard Know Your Enemy on the radio a couple of days ago here in Germany :D. But it's a rock station, the play GD a lot, also Bang Bang and SB. But on the mainstream stations there's always just BOBD and WMUWSE, nothing else (at least the few times I happen to listen to one of those channels).

37 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

Funnily enough, I heard Know Your Enemy on the radio a couple of days ago here in Germany :D. But it's a rock station, the play GD a lot, also Bang Bang and SB. But on the mainstream stations there's always just BOBD and WMUWSE, nothing else (at least the few times I happen to listen to one of those channels).

Italy is in love with GD. I don't know why, but that's it. These days Virgin Radio and Radio Capital are playing SB constantly (the song is in their top 15, if I remember well), but also BB and the title track. Besides BOBD and WMUWSE, occasionally, you can hear 21 Guns and Stray Heart (the one who got me into GD).

3 hours ago, crock6000 said:

Only the most hardcore of fans follow the singles charting (probably everyone here, ha). Yeah, they haven't had three number ones on any album I don't think.  

Dont quote me on that but I can't think of one off the cuff. I don't know why people aren't a little more surprised that this album is breaking green day records.

Peoole are looking at the wrong charts.  Green Day fans buy music more than the average bear (older bands sell more media because they have older fans that don't do Spotify et. al) but nowhere near when you had to 10 years ago. Now you have to look at the impressions and radio play charts and RevRad is kicking ass.

Here I am quoting you on that.   

They had three #1's on Dookie (Longview, Basketcase, When I Come Around).

And then with Idiot (Idiot, Broken Dreams and Holiday). 

Other than that, their singles have done well on one chart or another but very few dominated ALL the different charts.   

Basketcase, American Idiot, Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns are their only songs to chart on all the various charts, which is interesting.  

But yeah, Revolution Radio is a great record and it deserves all the chances it can get.  I'm hoping for 3 more singles, maybe even more!   

"Revolution Radio"

"Ordinary World"

I can't decide what the final one should be.   Outlaws, Youngblood, Too Dumb to Die and Forever Now are sooooo freaking good.  (no offense to the songs not mentioned here, I love the whole record!)

If we are going by industry standards (which the band has been known to break) Then I'd go with "Youngblood" or "Too Dumb to Die"  

If it were me, I'd release all twelve of them over an extended period of time.    See what sticks.   You never know what might be the next big song.   

Anyway, I'm done quoting you now.   :)

Archived