07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎26‎.‎9‎.‎2016 at 9:48 PM, Steven Seagull said:

I like Still Breathing and Lazy Bones so you can suck my cojones.

Lazy Bones is my favourite of the trilogy! Or maybe DRB. ;) 

I do feel like Still Breathing is definetely more meaningful at least to me.

14 hours ago, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

I do feel like Still Breathing is definetely more meaningful at least to me.

Still Breathing is more direct. It's Billie baring his soul, whilst the personal candor Letterbomb and Restless Heart Syndrome is concealed behind the conceptual style of AI and 21CB.

49 minutes ago, Dakke said:

Still Breathing is more direct. It's Billie baring his soul, whilst the personal candor Letterbomb and Restless Heart Syndrome is concealed behind the conceptual style of AI and 21CB.

I agree about Letterbomb (that song just makes much more sense within the concept) but I think RHS is as graphic as it can be. It's very direct and emotional. It's actually a kind of scary in retrospect and listening to it made me a kind of uncomfortable the last time I heard it. I could tell pretty much exactly what it was about back in 2011. In the end I chose to believe it was about a character because there was no reason to assume anything else but that doesn't change how revealing and honest that song is. Incredibly powerful.

1 minute ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree about Letterbomb (that song just makes much more sense within the concept) but I think RHS is as graphic as it can be. It's very direct and emotional. It's actually a kind of scary in retrospect and listening to it made me a kind of uncomfortable the last time I heard it. I could tell pretty much exactly what it was about back in 2011. In the end I chose to believe it was about a character because there was no reason to assume anything else but that doesn't change how revealing and honest that song is. Incredibly powerful.

You're right. I was never much into that song, though it's definitely one of the highlight of Charlatans & Saints. I always liked Peacemaker better, but it shows how much depth 21CB has.

14 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I think that song is beautiful and powerful and rather brilliantly ties 21CB together, but it is incredibly painful to listen to. It was hard to listen to at the time, and it's 100 times more difficult now. But even Billie said that looking back, he fooled himself into thinking he wrote songs like that about the characters, when it was really just about himself. Still Breathing was written purposefully about himself, and that honesty makes all the difference.

30 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

I think that song is beautiful and powerful and rather brilliantly ties 21CB together, but it is incredibly painful to listen to. It was hard to listen to at the time, and it's 100 times more difficult now. But even Billie said that looking back, he fooled himself into thinking he wrote songs like that about the characters, when it was really just about himself. Still Breathing was written purposefully about himself, and that honesty makes all the difference.

I don't know if he said that but it defintely seems like it's what he did. Writing a song like that about yourself and putting it out doesn't sound like an easy thing to do and it definitely wasn't something he wanted to admit or talk about publicly - it probably just was easier to do withought making it personal. The fact that he hid behind a vague character makes it no less honest. 

@Jane Lannister In his 2013 Rolling Stone article, I believe he talked about how it was almost like he was trying to tell himself he needed to get it together through writing songs like RHS but didn't listen (or something to that effect). But I agree that it is still absolutely a brutally honest song. That's why it hurts so much to listen to.

It just occurred to me as I was playing this on guitar that "City of the Damned" in Jesus of Suburbia and Stil Breathing are basicly the same thing.  Still I love them both.

I think I'm actually stupid because since the song has come out, I didn't grammatically understand the line, "Are you scared to death to live?"

It literally JUST hit me that it's supposed to be, "Are you scared to death to live?" Because the whole time I've been hearing it like, "Are you scared to death to live?" Like all of the focus on that part. I was thinking, my God, did they really make an error like that? Do they mean are you scared of death or life? 

I think I'm probably the only one who got confused by this though. Even when I heard the song live, I was very confused. 

4 hours ago, BetterThanAir said:

I think I'm actually stupid because since the song has come out, I didn't grammatically understand the line, "Are you scared to death to live?"

It literally JUST hit me that it's supposed to be, "Are you scared to death to live?" Because the whole time I've been hearing it like, "Are you scared to death to live?" Like all of the focus on that part. I was thinking, my God, did they really make an error like that? Do they mean are you scared of death or life? 

I think I'm probably the only one who got confused by this though. Even when I heard the song live, I was very confused. 

Because he sings it like "are you scared" "to deeeath" "to liiiiiive", putting empahasis on "to death to live". I think I only got it because I have "scared to death" memorized as a fixed phrase and didn't think it might be anything else :P  

45 minutes ago, ollhjr said:

They just played this song before a commercial break on Monday Night Football.

I'm watching my Vikings fail but I noticed this and freaked out! Hahah

We were sitting in the car in traffic on our way home from university today and listened to the rock station and suddenly Still Breathing played <3 It's the first time I heard it being played on the radio, and the second song off Revolution Radio in general :) 

22 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

SB lyric video has reached 6 million views on YouTube

I still haven't seen it. #badfan 

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Matt. said:

finally completed my cover of this song!

Damn. That's good stuff.

Dunno if you guys have seen this, but the audio is absolutely phenomenal on this. the footage is taken  from different shows but I dunno where the person got the audio, it's like soundboard audio

2 hours ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

Dunno if you guys have seen this, but the audio is absolutely phenomenal on this. the footage is taken  from different shows but I dunno where the person got the audio, it's like soundboard audio

Wow, that's freaking sweet!  Could be an amazing closer to a show.  That audio is delicious.   

*drools*

I've been listening this song non-stop today.  It starts tearing me up inside at the "without a father" verse and my eyes start tearing up at the "As I walk out on the ledge" part.    

I've been able to relate to the child, soldier, junkie, loser, son and mother at one time or another.  I've actually been most of them.  

Super excited about this music video (and I've been surprised to see all the hate for the interludes in previous Green Day clips.  You guys didn't enjoy the extended Jesus of Suburbia and Wake Me Up?????   Shame, Shame!  Working Class Hero anyone????)))

It's gonna be good.     

• 2 weeks later...

Despite some of the cringy YouTube comments on the music video, the fact that there seem to be non-fans watching the video/listening to the song is actually pretty cool. There's a lot of "I thought these guys broke up!" That says to me that a lot people are coming out of nowhere and hearing the song.

I've mentioned the album to a lot of people to see whos listening and there are so many times I get that "they are still together?" line. Followed usually by something like "their old shit was good" or "I stopped listening to them after Nimrod".

It´s my favourite song so far. I can relate to it. Love it. Every single bit of it. Belt it out whenever I hear it. Lovelovelove it.

Archived