07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite line is definitely "As I walked out on the ledge
Are you scared to death to live?" That line, and watching the photo Billie posted on Instagram - that is almost too much to take. We can be so proud of him.

Late to the party, but I also love it. It really has something very personal to it and I like that very much.

18 hours ago, Spike said:

I absolutely love this song. Bang Bang and Rev Rad are good, but damn this one is fantastic. I'm really excited about the new album, finally.

Still Breathing is just the perfect blend of the last three releases, I think. The verses remind me of Lazy Bones, but with better production, and that chorus is fucking huge. Also when the bass comes in during the second pre-chorus… these are the moments I live for. 10/10, I can't stop listening to it, and I couldn't care less if it's "too pop" (whatever that means) or "just released for the sake of mainstream exposure." If it's good, who cares?

There's some argument that it could be typical recent-Billie word salad, but I actually think it works really well in this case. There's a clear meaning, the point being that he's not perfect but he's hanging on, which I'm sure many of us can relate to, and in that respect I believe it's perfect in its imperfections. So while it is a personal song to Billie, everyone can take something from it, probably something completely different, which is great. It's nice to hear this side of the band again, it's not political (not that there's anything wrong with being political), and it's not BMX-cellent tits. God, I've missed them.

I'm glad they've managed to stick to a 12 track, 45 minute album, too. Maybe they've finally rediscovered quality control. So far, that seems likely. 

You know I disagree pretty much completely but welcome back anyway :P

13 hours ago, straighttohell said:

Even if you don't like this song you have to admit that you love Green Day for doing something like this. 20 years into their career and they are still surprising us. None of their fans saw this coming. We had tons of expectations for this album but no one expected them to do a song like this. That's why we fucking love them.

I hear more goo goo dolls, wallflowers, like 90s pop rock more so than 2016 top 40, imo...

...nah, I don't love them for doing this at all :P I didn't see this coming, no, but that's not a good thing in my case because I was expecting something a fair bit better.

I have an idea for the music video.  Green Day are playing inside of an old pirate ship that's in a terrible storm.  The ship is breaking apart and another ship starts firing at them.  This is intercut with scenes of other people mentioned in the song, struggling through different tragedies.  The ship sinks during the silence right before the last two choruses and our boys are lost.  But then we see them playing the chorus from an island.  They are alive.  More scenes intercut showing the other people overcoming their situations.  

9 hours ago, Stop said:

Did anyone else notice the nod (intentional or not) to the "When I Come Around" video at 2:39?

What is it??

4 hours ago, Jenn. said:

I wonder if maybe they used facebook vids for the first two songs to spread word on social media that they were back and now have just put SB on Youtube to get a concentrated number of views because they can sense that it'll be a hit? 

I was thinking, maybe it wasn't bad that they released the videos on Facebook first. If you look at Green Day's YouTube page, they have about 1.4 million subscribers, but before the three songs were released, it was hovering just above a million. On Facebook, they have over 31 million people who liked the page. So initially, when they released Bang Bang, I am sure it got to more people that "hey, Green Day is back"

42 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

What is it??

At 1:34 the WICA video, Billie pulls out a corded phone from its place on the wall. In this video (around 2:39) you can see similar phone dangling. It's probably nothing but a coincidence.

I fell asleep yesterday listening to this song on repeat and I sang along until my mouth was too tired to move. Now listening to it again, and seriously thinking about making it my first tattoo. God, I love it so much.

I would love if during the concert he just kind of stood there alone in the spotlight, with his acoustic guitar or without (Jason could play in the background) and just... sang it with us. 

Discuss the seventh song off the album here.

Lyrics

I'm like a child looking off in the horizon
I'm like an ambulance that's turning on the sirens
Oh, I'm still alive

I'm like a soldier coming home for the first time
I dodged a bullet and I walked across a landmine
Oh, I'm still alive

Am I bleeding
Am I bleeding from the storm?
Just shine a light into the wreckage
So far away away

Cause I'm still breathing
Cause I'm still breathing on my own
My head's above the rain and roses
Making my way away

Making my way away

My way to you

I'm like a junkie tying off for the last time
I'm like a loser that's betting on his last dime
Oh, I'm still alive

I'm like a son that was raised without a father
I'm like a mother barely keeping it together
Oh, I'm still alive

Am I bleeding
Am I bleeding from the storm?
Just shine a light into the wreckage
So far away away

Making my way away away

Making my way away away

As I walked out on the ledge
Are you scared to death to live
I've been running all my life
Just to find a home that's for the restless
And the truth that's in the message
Making my way away away

Making my way away

Making my way away

Making my way away

My way to you

Song page on GDA: http://www.greendayauthority.com/music/song/762/

Incredibly relatable and painful but also hopeful. Definitely one of those songs to listen to to lift your spirits.

Just listened to it and loved it! Made me feel like I connected to the album for the first time and now I'm excited!

Conflicting feelings here. On the one hand, it's a good song instrumentally, and the meaning behind it is a great one, however sometimes it's hard for me to look past the lyrics. They're full of cliches and sometimes come off as slightly shallow. Despite that thought, I love the song. I guess it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in that day that determines whether or not this song is good or great :P

I love this song, it makes me cry almost every time.  I don't think it is cliched or shallow at all.  I think it feels like Billie is sharing himself with us.  

Anyone else, had their opinion completely changed on this song? I almost hated the song when it first came out. Now I think it's one of the best on the album. I think the verses are still a little too 'Candy Pop' for want of a better term, but it's still a solid single.

On 9/22/2016 at 4:43 PM, Haushinka! said:

Ohhh no no no, i'm sorry but comparing No One Knows and Macy's Day, specifically, to Still Breathing is a bit gut-wrenching to me. 

Oh, don't get me wrong...No One Knows and Macy's Day Parade are way better (and more original) than Still Breathing. However, I was just pointing out that Billie Joe has been writing poppy, accessible songs, with mass appeal since the beginning.

The only thing I don't like about this song is that the verses are just a re-working of Could Have Been Me by The Struts. Even the rhythm and structure are based on the song. But I suppose it's cool since Billie is giving them song writing credits and re-worked the chorus.

2 hours ago, JoshDaveJones said:

Anyone else, had their opinion completely changed on this song? I almost hated the song when it first came out. Now I think it's one of the best on the album. I think the verses are still a little too 'Candy Pop' for want of a better term, but it's still a solid single.

Definitely in the same boat as you

16 hours ago, zeldachick14 said:

I'm 4 months sober today :runaround:like Billie, I'm still breathing.

Congratulations! :woot: That's awesome. 

it sounds cliche because a team of pop writers co-wrote it with billie. it would have come out much better if he had written it all himself. like a second wake me up when september ends, if you will.

Archived