07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

2 hours ago, Smitty said:

One thing i remember quite vividly was in early 2013 after the trilogy released, someone on GDC made a long post about how they felt like the trilogy was "the beginning of the end for green day" and how after that they weren't going to release any quality material anymore. Even though i didn't like hearing that, i kinda believed it. Though after hearing these first three songs, i think what the person said couldn't be further from the truth.

Add to that a lot were saying that was the last time they would see them live.

ill get back on topic now - I'm a bit embarrassed to say how many times I've listen to this song - I cannot get it out of my head. 

One sleep until perhaps some lucky people will hear it live.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stop said:

Did anyone else notice the nod (intentional or not) to the "When I Come Around" video at 2:39?

Ha - just got that - doubt it was intentional - WICA my all time fav song/video.

I loved that part of WICA - they thought they were so bad ass. 

1 hour ago, xXRustyJamesXx said:

They should make this song a single!!!

I believe it is.  I haven't heard it on the radio but they seem to be treating it differently than Rev RAd

Oh my god. Every time I hear this song it makes me want to cry. There are so many parts of the song that make me feel emotional. I can't wait to hear this song live - I expect a lot of people to be moved to tears when they hear it live. 

23 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

It's incredible that this song is gaining views so fast.  It's growing faster than the BB and RR lyric videos. I smell a hit. 

I'd say the main reason for this is because it wasn't released on Facebook a day before

19 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

Uproxx

Green Day’s New Single ‘Still Breathing’ Is Hooky, Hopeful, And Really, Really Good

https://www.google.com/amp/uproxx.com/music/green-day-still-breathing-lyric-video/amp/?client=safari

Nice review, although I strongly disagree that this song is a typical GD song with the typical GD sound. I still think it sounds SO much different from anything we've heard from them so far, it's like I've discovered a whole new side of them. And that's what makes it so special. I've dreamt of Still Breathing three nights in a row now. That song is haunting me, I swear - but in a very very good way :D 

Yeah this song is gonna bang, the other two took ages to reach 1 million views, this is gaining views like nobody's business.

4 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

Yeah this song is gonna bang, the other two took ages to reach 1 million views, this is gaining views like nobody's business.

The video has more likes than RR and the Bang Bang Official video. Also almost 600 000 plays on Spotify after 1 day :D 

5 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

Isn't that just because this one premiered on YouTube immediately, instead of Facebook? I think that Still Breathing is not a radio single, same with Revolution Radio. At least at this point. 

Just now, JorickF said:

Isn't that just because this one premiered on YouTube immediately, instead of Facebook? I think that Still Breathing is not a radio single, same with Revolution Radio. At least at this point. 

Maybe, but it'd be stupid on Green Day's part to run with RR as a single, Still Breathing has such a more general appeal and is screaming for radio play. Regardless of where it premiered first. One of the two has to be a single alongside Bang Bang. Still Breathing is definitely the best choice of the two.

Just now, JorickF said:

Correct. BB and RR had 6 million views on their Facebook videos before they were taken offline.

I wonder if maybe they used facebook vids for the first two songs to spread word on social media that they were back and now have just put SB on Youtube to get a concentrated number of views because they can sense that it'll be a hit? 

1 hour ago, MysticManiac said:

I'd say the main reason for this is because it wasn't released on Facebook a day before

^ To all the people talking about YouTube views increasing.

Of course that the song is gaining lots of views, it was uploaded to youtube directly instead of having that bullshit 24hrs Facebook exclusive.

After listening to it dozens of times and comparing it to WMUWSE, 21 Guns, Lazy Bones and X-Kid, I think this track is vocally the most powerful and has the most live potential.

Honestly I think its terrible, so bland and uninspiring! The song sounds poppy in the worst kind of way. I know this might sound harsh! but like someone said before I really thought Green Day was above this kind of generic sound, god if we are comparing this song to a Blink-182 song then Green Day should be worried. I really enjoy many of the bands pop infused tunes like Extraordinary girl, Shes a rebel, the album Warning and many others but Still breathing is just terrible Im amazed theres such a good response in GDC towards the song, honestly thought you guys would dislike the song or feel a bit uneasy hahaha I guess theres many people here who enjoy the generic sound from Blink-182, Sum 41...and other copy paste pop punk bands!

sorry for the rant! just feel very disappointed with this song

I'm sorry you feel that way, and Yes we are all entitled to our own opinions, but don't speak for the rest of us. Personally I hate Blink 182 and Sum 41, their music sucks and I think it's insulting to compare it to Green Day's music. I hope you can find something on this album that you like. 

21 minutes ago, TheGrouch33 said:

Honestly I think its terrible, so bland and uninspiring! The song sounds poppy in the worst kind of way. I know this might sound harsh! but like someone said before I really thought Green Day was above this kind of generic sound, god if we are comparing this song to a Blink-182 song then Green Day should be worried. I really enjoy many of the bands pop infused tunes like Extraordinary girl, Shes a rebel, the album Warning and many others but Still breathing is just terrible Im amazed theres such a good response in GDC towards the song, honestly thought you guys would dislike the song or feel a bit uneasy hahaha I guess theres many people here who enjoy the generic sound from Blink-182, Sum 41...and other copy paste pop punk bands!

sorry for the rant! just feel very disappointed with this song

Sum 41 is great!

Just now, unextraordinarygirl said:

I'm sorry you feel that way, and Yes we are all entitled to our own opinions, but don't speak for the rest of us. Personally I hate Blink 182 and Sum 41, their music sucks and I think it's insulting to compare it to Green Day's music. I hope you can find something on this album that you like. 

sorry If you felt alluded, but I know there are many Green Day fans here that enjoy Blink-182, Sum 41 etc which i can understand perfectly, aswell as I understand how people really dig Still breathing...its just not my cup of tea at all, although i enjoyed a lot Bang Bang and revrad. 

Just now, Steven Seagull said:

Sum 41 is great!

Hmmm I did enjoy some of their songs! but I dont think they are that special to be honest

I really had to give this one time before deciding how I felt about the song. At first I had the same reaction a lot of you had, "???" but the second time I listened I cried even though I still felt "???" about the song. I kept giving it more listens because I kept having an emotional response to it and now I love the song. I just listened three times in a row and I cried each time. I really can't wait to hear this one live because I think that's where it's really going to shine. I don't like the way his voice is 'corrected' in the quieter parts but I think he sounds amazing otherwise!

Such a great variety of songs so far, so pumped for the album. 

So after letting it settle in a bit, it's become clear how bad the verses are. I mean, it's a suitable melody for a really basic pop rock song, but I think it takes away from what is, in my opinion, a fucking stellar pre-c/chorus section. I'm so split, but every time I hear the verses I cringe. This song definitely has the best chance to do well commercially, and it shows off their ability to boil it down and really nail pop, but it's pretty obvious to me that the first two singles stand up much better in Green Day's catalog.

This wasn't Green Day leading the pop sound, it was the pop sound leading Green Day, which does disappoint me a bit. 

Archived