07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

I absolutely love this song. Bang Bang and Rev Rad are good, but damn this one is fantastic. I'm really excited about the new album, finally.

Still Breathing is just the perfect blend of the last three releases, I think. The verses remind me of Lazy Bones, but with better production, and that chorus is fucking huge. Also when the bass comes in during the second pre-chorus… these are the moments I live for. 10/10, I can't stop listening to it, and I couldn't care less if it's "too pop" (whatever that means) or "just released for the sake of mainstream exposure." If it's good, who cares?

There's some argument that it could be typical recent-Billie word salad, but I actually think it works really well in this case. There's a clear meaning, the point being that he's not perfect but he's hanging on, which I'm sure many of us can relate to, and in that respect I believe it's perfect in its imperfections. So while it is a personal song to Billie, everyone can take something from it, probably something completely different, which is great. It's nice to hear this side of the band again, it's not political (not that there's anything wrong with being political), and it's not BMX-cellent tits. God, I've missed them.

I'm glad they've managed to stick to a 12 track, 45 minute album, too. Maybe they've finally rediscovered quality control. So far, that seems likely. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Spike said:

I absolutely love this song. Bang Bang and Rev Rad are good, but damn this one is fantastic. I'm really excited about the new album, finally.

Still Breathing is just the perfect blend of the last three releases, I think. The verses remind me of Lazy Bones, but with better production, and that chorus is fucking huge. Also when the bass comes in during the second pre-chorus… these are the moments I live for. 10/10, I can't stop listening to it, and I couldn't care less if it's "too pop" (whatever that means) or "just released for the sake of mainstream exposure." If it's good, who cares?

There's some argument that it could be typical recent-Billie word salad, but I actually think it works really well in this case. There's a clear meaning, the point being that he's not perfect but he's hanging on, which I'm sure many of us can relate to, and in that respect I believe it's perfect in its imperfections. So while it is a personal song to Billie, everyone can take something from it, probably something completely different, which is great. It's nice to hear this side of the band again, it's not political (not that there's anything wrong with being political), and it's not BMX-cellent tits. God, I've missed them.

I'm glad they've managed to stick to a 12 track, 45 minute album, too. Maybe they've finally rediscovered quality control. So far, that seems likely. 

Fuck spike before I read your post - welcome back man. 

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

I Also when the bass comes in during the second pre-chorus… these are the moments I live for. 10/10, I can't stop listening to it, and I couldn't care less if it's "too pop" (whatever that means) or "just released for the sake of mainstream exposure." If it's good, who cares?

Exactly.  Whatever you want to call it, whether that be pop, pop punk or something entirely different, it's still the same song, and a fucking awesome one at that.

4 hours ago, Libertine Angel said:

I haven't read the rest of this thread so I don't know how unpopular this'll be but I really don't like Still Breathing, to me it sounds like knockoff Alkaline Trio and honestly near the end I was starting to consider just stopping it and giving up.

yeah to me it's very generic. then again it'll either grow on me, or i'd end up not playing period like 21 guns. 

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

Welcome back!!  Missed you!!!

12 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

Just learned to play it on my acoustic guitar.    Nice!

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/green_day/still_breathing_ver2_crd.htm

Me too, it's great.  Fun and simple

3 hours ago, Andres said:

While this is good, I still think Brutal Love showcases some really great vocals.

I agree. Brutal Love blows me away every time I listen to it (and that's fairly frequently, haha). His vocals on that song blow my mind. It's truly an experience to listen to. An emotional masterpiece. 

I think there's a quality of conviction in his singing on Still Breathing that is a bit special, though. I've never heard him sing QUITE like this. It's like he's singing as loud and strong as he possibly can, and he's trying to push even further than that. There's an urgency in his voice that's just stellar—like he really means what he's saying, and wants other people to mean it when they sing along, too.

1 hour ago, dolce_amore93 said:

I agree. Brutal Love blows me away every time I listen to it (and that's fairly frequently, haha). His vocals on that song blow my mind. It's truly an experience to listen to. An emotional masterpiece. 

I think there's a quality of conviction in his singing on Still Breathing that is a bit special, though. I've never heard him sing QUITE like this. It's like he's singing as loud and strong as he possibly can, and he's trying to push even further than that. There's an urgency in his voice that's just stellar—like he really means what he's saying, and wants other people to mean it when they sing along, too.

From a comparison standpoint, I've also been using Brutal Love as a frame of reference to friends and family when describing this song. That in itself is a great sign, as to date it's been the best example of their musical range and BJA's vocal capabilities.

I totally agree with your analysis; this is Brutal Love on emotional steroids. Brutal Love is an amazing song, they absolutely pushed their limits and tested new ground with that track. I also agree that this one is more personal and has much more personal/ experiential meaning. You can just feel it- the sincerity of Billie's vocals here just captivate. It's groundbreaking in that sense for sure.

It's been tough to not over-listen this one during the last couple of days. I've been trying not to listen to this one on a loop- usually that tires out a song relatively quickly. But I can't stop. And it's worth noting that I've played it for a number of non-fans in the last day, and all have loved it. It was obvious the first time we had heard it, but this one's going to be a single, and it's going to do very, very well based on the reactions I've seen. Most everyone I've played it for had an immediate emotional reaction to the song. It just grabs, twists, and pulls the deepest emotions out of the listener. Not many songs can do this. This song is such an accomplishment, such a triumphant achievement. I'm so happy and proud. Twenty two years and going strong- couldn't be luckier and happier to be a part of this.

I really like the line "making my way away" like he's moving on with his life and getting away from the past. There's so many good lines in this song! Especially in the bridge which is my favorite part of the song :)

I particularly love "and the truth that's in the message." I love how he sings it, and I love how many meanings that's in such a small line. I took it to mean finding truth in what he writes, but it's open for a lot of interpretation.

How does one go about joining Green Day? Jason White's spot opened up and I'm ready to become the official fourth member as of tonight.  Guitar, vocals and songwriting AND I know how to make set-lists that make absolutely no sense whatsoever.  This is totally on topic because after releasing this song, they've finally earned the chance to play music with yours truly.   This song is so freaking good.   Green Day could use a bald guy with a goatee.  I had the Walter White look BEFORE Breaking Bad.   

Anyway.   Still Breathing is epic and it better be the next single unless the songs we haven't heard yet are on some "Stairway to Heaven" level greatness.  Which is possible - I'm thinking Somewhere Now is going to end up being one of my all time favorite songs by them.     

Check it out my new guitar cover of "Still Breathing"!!

TAB: 

e|-----------------------------------------------------
B|-----------------------------------------------------
G|----13----------------------------------------------
D|----11-------X8------------------------------------
A|----11-----------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------

Verse (x2)
G|----13------13------13------13------------------
D|----11-(x8)-10-(x8)-11-(x4)-11-(x4)-11-(x8)-
A|----11--------11------13------11-------9---------

Pre-Chorus
G|----13------13-------13--------------------------
D|----11-(x8)-10-(x8)-11-(x4)---11-(x5)--------
A|----11-------11-------13---------9---------------

Chorus (x2)
e|--------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------------------------------------------
D|----6--(x8)---6--(x8)--8-----------6----------4---------6
A|----4----------3---------8--(x8)----6--(x8)---4--(x8)--6--x8)
E|--------------------------6-----------4----------2--------4

Intro

Verse (x2)

Pre-Chorus

Chorus (x2)

Bridge (x3)
e|--------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------6----------------| 
D|---8----------6----------4-----------6--(x8)---------| 
A|---8--(x8)---6--(x8)---4--(x8)-----4----------------|
E|---6----------4----------2---------------------------|

e|----------------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------------------|
G|---4-----------------------------------------------|
D|---4--(x8)--6-6---6-6---6-6---6-6------------|
A|---2---------6-6---6-6---6-6---6-6------------|
E|--------------4-4---4-4---4-4---4-4------------|

e|----------------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------9--9--9-----11-11-11-----|
G|---6-6-6-----------10-10-10----11-11-11-----| (x2) 
D|---6-6-6---6-6-6--10-10-10---11-11-11----|
A|---4-4-4---6-6-6---8--8--8-----9--9--9-----|
E|------------4-4-4-------------------------------|

Chorus (x3)

Intro (x16)
End

2 hours ago, AmyxLongview said:

I really hope this is the next single... it could be a hit. It's still my favorite of the 3 so far.

There is absolutely no doubt that this is going to be a single. If it's not before Revolution Radio (Song) it will surely be after. It's probably the main reason the record is going to do very well commercially.

8 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

There is absolutely no doubt that this is going to be a single. If it's not before Revolution Radio (Song) it will surely be after. It's probably the main reason the record is going to do very well commercially.

I'm not really convinced that Revolution Radio would be a the best choice for a single, even though I love the song. But it probably will be since it's the title track.

1 minute ago, AmyxLongview said:

I'm not really convinced that Revolution Radio would be a the best choice for a single, even though I love the song. But it probably will be since it's the title track.

That's the only reason why I think it would be a single. While it's not an amazing song by any means, it does have the album title in the track, which is good advertising. My preference would be one of the better songs on the album, which I am sure there are going to be many of. I'm predicting 4 or 5 singles for this album.

4 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

That's the only reason why I think it would be a single. My preference would be one of the better songs on the album, which I am sure there are going to be many of. I'm predicting 4 or 5 singles for this album.

Yeah, the album seems like it's gonna be really strong and if that's the case I could definitely see them riding it out for at least 2 years

I think this might be one of my all time favorites. I love how his voice gets stronger as the song progresses-- just like he's getting stronger in his sobriety .

Even if you don't like this song you have to admit that you love Green Day for doing something like this. 20 years into their career and they are still surprising us. None of their fans saw this coming. We had tons of expectations for this album but no one expected them to do a song like this. That's why we fucking love them.

I hear more goo goo dolls, wallflowers, like 90s pop rock more so than 2016 top 40, imo...

23 minutes ago, straighttohell said:

Even if you don't like this song you have to admit that you love Green Day for doing something like this. 20 years into their career and they are still surprising us. None of their fans saw this coming. We had tons of expectations for this album but no one expected them to do a song like this. That's why we fucking love them.

I hear more goo goo dolls, wallflowers, like 90s pop rock more so than 2016 top 40, imo...

To sum up its a revolution. 

One thing i remember quite vividly was in early 2013 after the trilogy released, someone on GDC made a long post about how they felt like the trilogy was "the beginning of the end for green day" and how after that they weren't going to release any quality material anymore. Even though i didn't like hearing that, i kinda believed it. Though after hearing these first three songs, i think what the person said couldn't be further from the truth.

27 minutes ago, Smitty said:

One thing i remember quite vividly was in early 2013 after the trilogy released, someone on GDC made a long post about how they felt like the trilogy was "the beginning of the end for green day" and how after that they weren't going to release any quality material anymore. Even though i didn't like hearing that, i kinda believed it. Though after hearing these first three songs, i think what the person said couldn't be further from the truth.

I actually thought about that recently. Not necessarily believing they would never release quality material, but I was concerned as to when they'd release another "revolutionary" album. (Sorry) I didn't get into Green Day until after 21st CB, so the only new material that I ever got to wait for was the trilogy. Now, I like the trilogy overall, but I guess I was expecting something more. But after hearing these songs, they have definitely gone down the road that I was imagining back in 2010 when I first became a fan, and I love it

Archived