07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

12 hours ago, Jax Teller said:

So far I have read that "Still Breathing" sounds like: Pink, Katy Perry, One Direction, 5SOS, Bon Jovi, Fall Out Boy, Avril Lavigne, Blink, Simple Plan, All Time Low, Taylor Swift, My Chemical Romance, Kelly Clarkson, Backstreet Boys, David Guetta...
If I hadn't already heard it, I would have thought that this is the weirdest song ever. :lol:

this comment made me laugh out loud. i may be the one who came up with One Direction :lol:

but i'm kinda over it now, reading deep comments here made me have more positive thoughts about it. Or at least the lyrics.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel that this song was them purposely taking a shot at Top 40, but even if it was, who cares?  I still love the fact that they feel comfortable going outside their "genre" and making any kind of music they want, for whatever reasons.  

13 hours ago, James11693 said:

Did anyone who pre ordered the album on Green Days site, not receive the downloads for Revolution Radio and Still Breathing?

I just got the link for BB and SB but haven't had for RR.  Warner Europe is rubbish though, they often deliver late despite how they market stuff. 

9 hours ago, dolce_amore93 said:

This is definitely a gift, @TimmyChunks. This band's resilience truly amazes and inspires me. And not just resilience, but genuine passion for what they do. They've never rested on their laurels, never grown stale. They just keep pushing forward, trying new things and seeing where it takes them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but they always try to be the best version of themselves. And they seem to love what they do now more than ever before. They seem like closer friends now than ever before. How many bands can you say that about? 

You know, I think back to how I felt at this time in 2012, and it makes me feel ill. Everything felt scary and uncertain and I didn't know if I'd ever get my favorite band back. I didn't know how to feel or how to prepare myself for the future. Having to watch the band I'd loved for years totally fall apart like that was one of the most painful experiences I've ever been through. Maybe that sounds dramatic, but it's true. They're always there when I need them, always. Learning to be there for them and learning to draw strength from myself instead of my greatest sense of security fundamentally changed me. But they made it. We made it. 

The fact that I'm able to sit here in my bedroom tonight feeling over the moon for this band, falling in love with them more than ever before? Crying because they've just put out a strong, triumphant new song instead of crying because I was afraid of what the future held? That is powerful. These guys are tough as nails, and so are their fans, I'd like to think. The more I listen to this song, the more I believe it is one of the greatest songs they've ever written. Certainly the most meaningful to me, anyway.

I agree so much with this and @TimmyChunks I need a huge like button.  I hadn't realised that SB was released four years to the day since Billie entered rehab and as a very long standing fan, I am so happy to be hearing new music from this band and waiting to see new live footage etc.  It's not been a straight path, life isn't like that, but it's been a hell of a ride so far and I love it.  

Also, love this quality of writing, Billie proving again that he can write songs that are so personal on one hand but mean something to everyone and don't exclude others.  It makes me think a little of them talking about the politics around AI and how they didn't want it to be too specific as that would limit and date it.  I listened to AI the other day for the first time in a while and it's hard to believe it's 12 years old, it's still sounds fresh and relevant.

Think we may have a cracker coming!

49 minutes ago, Private Ale. said:

this comment made me laugh out loud. i may be the one who came up with One Direction :lol:

but i'm kinda over it now, reading deep comments here made me have more positive thoughts about it. Or at least the lyrics.

So you also contributed to this weird musical "experiment". Thank you for your contribution my friend. :lol:
I expect someone to add artists like Spice Girls, Busted, Hanson, Jonas Brothers, NSYNC, Westlife, O-Town, Good Charlotte, Blue, Panic! at the Disco, Phil Collins, BBMak, Coldplay, Maroon 5, Dream Street, LFO, Take That, Miley Cyrus and the list will be complete.

Oh and to be clear i'm not singling anyone on here out im just going on what i've seen around the GD facebook and youtube comments so I hope no one feels attacked! 

One thing's for sure. None of the 3 songs released so far are bad. 

If this was another album of Kill the DJ and Nightlife shit I'd be gutted.

8 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

This is like the trilogy all over again and I love it when people get mad because GD are not writing rock operas anymore :P

Well.. Outlaws and Forever Now are apparently rock operas so...

8 hours ago, Harry Potter. said:

Only people who defend the song think that anyone dislikes it for the sole reason that "it's pop". I've seen maybe one person say "I don't like it because it's pop". Most people don't care about the genre and don't like Still Breathing because they think it's just not a good song.

I have indeed seen people dismissing the song because it's "too pop".

1 hour ago, Jax Teller said:

So you also contributed to this weird musical "experiment". Thank you for your contribution my friend. :lol:
I expect someone to add artists like Spice Girls, Busted, Hanson, Jonas Brothers, NSYNC, Westlife, O-Town, Good Charlotte, Blue, Panic! at the Disco, Phil Collins, BBMak, Coldplay, Maroon 5, Dream Street, LFO, Take That, Miley Cyrus and the list will be complete.

i have seen people saying Panic ,Good Charlotte,coldplay . We love this song so much that we over-analyze it.:wub:

i also hear some Demi Lovato if it's gonna help the experiment go to the next level.

Has it occurred to anyone that Billie Joe might have softened up with age in terms of what music he listens to himself? Instead of framing this as "a desperate attempt" of climbing the mainstream charts, why not consider the possibility that he chose to write, execute and produce the song this way because he and the band has come to appreciate something on the lighter side of what they've done before and what their old fans have come to almost feel entitled to?

Personally I think it's a quality pop song. It has the Green Day spirit and to me it only sticks out of their back catalogue in positive and exciting new ways.

5 minutes ago, madafaka said:

Has it occurred to anyone that Billie Joe might have softened up with age in terms of what music he listens to himself? Instead of framing this as "a desperate attempt" of climbing the mainstream charts, why not consider the possibility that he chose to write, execute and produce the song this way because he and the band has come to appreciate something on the lighter side of what they've done before and what their old fans have come to almost feel entitled to?

Personally I think it's a quality pop song. It has the Green Day spirit and to me it only sticks out of their back catalogue in positive and exciting new ways.

Exactly.  More life experiences gives everyone a different perspective and appreciation for more things.  For most people our tastes either change and/or widen as we age.

Still breathing has now 550k plays on Spotify.

That is by far better than RR and even Bang Bang after that time:runaround:

5 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

I made a cover :)

I'm surprised, I thought it was going to be something like your Bang Bang cover :D It's sweet tho :) 

12 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Exactly.  More life experiences gives everyone a different perspective and appreciation for more things.  For most people our tastes either change and/or widen as we age.

Artists should stay true to themselves, but that doesn't mean stay true to their 24 year old self when they're in their forties.

Most of all I feel like it is insecurities within the fans themselves that they somehow can only support the band if they fit within these specific labels like "rock" or "punk", that they themselves are trapped inside in terms of image, style and the people in their social circles. I don't believe for a second that there are people out there who doesn't enjoy a little pop music once in a while.

4 minutes ago, madafaka said:

Artists should stay true to themselves, but that doesn't mean stay true to their 24 year old self when they're in their forties.

Most of all I feel like it is insecurities within the fans themselves that they somehow can only support the band if they fit within these specific labels like "rock" or "punk", that they themselves are trapped inside in terms of image, style and the people in their social circles. I don't believe for a second that there are people out there who doesn't enjoy a little pop music once in a while.

Agreed.  ONe of the reasons I love this band so much is because they are confident enough to not confine themselves to one "genre".  And I enjoy quite a bit of pop music.  

8 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

I'm surprised, I thought it was going to be something like your Bang Bang cover :D It's sweet tho :) 

I have some filthy lyrics prepared for other songs :P

I've played this 242 times. I feel like I must be going to get sick of it soon but it's not happening. My neighbours must think I'm insane :lol:

I remember that Billie once said that ''nothing is too far fetched for them to do as long as it comes out the way Green Day would do it''. Applying what Billie said to this song, I think this song has come out the way you'd expect GD to do it.

22 minutes ago, James11693 said:

This song feels like a closer at a concert. Either that , or the last song before the encore.

I think it would be great just Billie on acoustic for a crowd sing-a-long.. maybe just before 21 Guns or Time of your Life.

3 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

I think it would be great just Billie on acoustic for a crowd sing-a-long.. maybe just before 21 Guns or Time of your Life.

I agree with the acoustic, but disagree with everything else.  You don't want two anthems in a row.  Also, I think that Billie needs to sing this, not a sing a long.  His vocals are part of what makes this song so amazing.  I want to hear him sing it.    

1 minute ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I agree with the acoustic, but disagree with everything else.  You don't want two anthems in a row.  Also, I think that Billie needs to sing this, not a sing a long.  His vocals are part of what makes this song so amazing.  I want to hear him sing it.    

I'm pretty sure if Billie did this song solo acoustic, the crowd would sing along, whether he liked it or not 😛

Just now, Justin1 said:

I'm pretty sure if Billie did this song solo acoustic, the crowd would sing along, whether he liked it or not 😛

They may, he can't stop the crowd from singing.  I also disagree with that.  I think people will be so touched that they will listen.  I know I would.  You said you wanted it as a sing along.  I took that to mean you wanted Billie to purposely ask people to sing along, which I disagree with.

1 hour ago, madafaka said:

Agree with this. Plus there's the fact that they've included pop influences in their music since their very first album :lol:. I mean this song is different, more pure pop than they've done before (which is cool as far as I'm concerned), but it's not like we're talking about a strictly hardcore punk band suddenly releasing this. They've embraced pop/catchy melodies/"softer" elements as part of their sound as well as the tougher stuff since day one. 

Having listened to it dozens of times now, I think, given how heavy the subject matter is, at least for fans who know what the band has gone through  in the last four years, if it was musically heavy it would have been too much.  I think the lighter poppy feel suits it well and let's be honest, there have always been really strong melodies in their repertoire, hardly the first time they've been called too poppy after all!

Archived