07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

So I found the link to the twitter page of the girl who wrote this: http://www.baeblemusic.com/musicblog/9-23-2016/hey-green-day-september-isnt-over-yet.html

I left her a nice little comment haha

14457384_10153818954436373_5435791233241

I got the e-mail with the mp3 of the song this morning. I've come around on the song a bit, it's a good song at its core but I still don't like the production on it and the mix is awful. I loved the mix for Bang Bang, I thought a few things were off about the mix on Revolution Radio, but man, this one is just weird, why do all the instruments sound so muddy on the chorus?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

I got the e-mail with the mp3 of the song this morning. I've come around on the song a bit, it's a good song at its core but I still don't like the production on it and the mix is awful. I loved the mix for Bang Bang, I thought a few things were off about the mix on Revolution Radio, but man, this one is just weird, why do all the instruments sound so muddy on the chorus?

First, that email was spectacular!!!!   Congrats on getting her back and good.  

I think that the song is purposely highlighting the vocals.  Billie's vocals are what sells this song, I almost feel like the instruments are extraneous.  I would love to hear it with just an acoustic or even acapella

25 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I would love to hear it with just an acoustic or even acapella

YES

A THOUSAND TIMES YES

This is a great song. If they promote it well enough, it can be a hit. 

P.s-> All the haters must understand the following:

1. Green Day doesn't owe you shit. 

2.  They've been making pop songs before so it's not something new.

3. Can't hate something just because it isn't your fav genre. 

Love the bitching about this song. Because, if you had asked me anytime between 1995-2003 if I would have been perfectly happy with a Tre solo accordion release in 2016 I would have answered an emphatic yes. If you had told me during the Warning era that this was actually the lull and they would shoot fire with AI, retake the world, and follow up with five albums after even that I would have told you to see a psychiatrist.

Guys, the fact that we're nitpicking all of this is unbelievable. I completely understand the passion, the dissection of this new material- we're all so eager, and so enthusiastic. I'm not talking about the vast majority of fans on this site- for the most part, we're all going to have our favorites, etc. But for those trashing this song, get a grip- do you realize how fucking incredible it is that we're even having this conversation? During the Dookie/ Insomniac era most bands were on the scene and off usually after a single or two, and five years was a lifetime. I honestly was hoping for maybe ten. Praying after each album for a while (Nimrod and Warning) that we'd get another. And it was dicey for a few years- even the band admitted in interviews they almost called it quits after Warning. Well, they're still going strong, and I couldn't be more grateful. I don't expect to love every song, and all of us true fans will always hold/ view new material to a higher standard, but seriously- this is a gift. The fact that they're touring now, this year, would have blown my 1998 mind.

And for the record, I love PHGP. My favorite album to date is Insomniac. I like to get down and dirty and love punk- it's my life soundtrack, it's what I love. Rancid. Misfits. Bad Religion. Pennywise. Bouncing Souls. You get it. Bang Bang scratched this itch in a huge way.

And with that said, Still Breathing is a monster tune. Love it. Puts a lump in my throat. Has me in awe of Billie's somehow better-than-ever vocals. Has me stunned with Tre's drumming. This is a great, great song. I understand if others don't feel this way, but the few posts trashing this song seem so ungrateful. They're still here, and they're giving it their all. And they've far and away exceeded my 20-years ago hopes by a longshot. I can't even come close to expressing my gratitude.

43 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

Love the bitching about this song. Because, if you had asked me anytime between 1995-2003 if I would have been perfectly happy with a Tre solo accordion release in 2016 I would have answered an emphatic yes. If you had told me during the Warning era that this was actually the lull and they would shoot fire with AI, retake the world, and follow up with five albums after even that I would have told you to see a psychiatrist.

Guys, the fact that we're nitpicking all of this is unbelievable. I completely understand the passion, the dissection of this new material- we're all so eager, and so enthusiastic. I'm not talking about the vast majority of fans on this site- for the most part, we're all going to have our favorites, etc. But for those trashing this song, get a grip- do you realize how fucking incredible it is that we're even having this conversation? During the Dookie/ Insomniac era most bands were on the scene and off usually after a single or two, and five years was a lifetime. I honestly was hoping for maybe ten. Praying after each album for a while (Nimrod and Warning) that we'd get another. And it was dicey for a few years- even the band admitted in interviews they almost called it quits after Warning. Well, they're still going strong, and I couldn't be more grateful. I don't expect to love every song, and all of us true fans will always hold/ view new material to a higher standard, but seriously- this is a gift. The fact that they're touring now, this year, would have blown my 1998 mind.

And for the record, I love PHGP. My favorite album to date is Insomniac. I like to get down and dirty and love punk- it's my life soundtrack, it's what I love. Rancid. Misfits. Bad Religion. Pennywise. Bouncing Souls. You get it. Bang Bang scratched this itch in a huge way.

And with that said, Still Breathing is a monster tune. Love it. Puts a lump in my throat. Has me in awe of Billie's somehow better-than-ever vocals. Has me stunned with Tre's drumming. This is a great, great song. I understand if others don't feel this way, but the few posts trashing this song seem so ungrateful. They're still here, and they're giving it their all. And they've far and away exceeded my 20-years ago hopes by a longshot. I can't even come close to expressing my gratitude.

PHGP, Rancid, Misfits, Bad Religion, Pennywise, Bouncing Souls - I do get it and I love it!   Haven't heard a ton of material from Bouncing Souls but yes, yes, yes.   

Everything you said, yes!  

Who is making these lyrics videos?   Does anyone know?  

48 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

if I'm ever in Boston you and I need to grab some beers together

1 minute ago, Kyle Serlington said:

if I'm ever in Boston you and I need to grab some beers together

I'll gladly take you up on that offer. I'll be at the Boston and NY shows coming up so if you happen to go to either or both let me know. Also, Pennywise is playing in Boston next month so keep that show on your radar screen.

10 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

PHGP, Rancid, Misfits, Bad Religion, Pennywise, Bouncing Souls - I do get it and I love it!   Haven't heard a ton of material from Bouncing Souls but yes, yes, yes.   

Everything you said, yes!  

Who is making these lyrics videos?   Does anyone know?  

Great question and one I had been meaning to ask- anyone know? These lyric videos have been very well put together.

Bouncing Souls are a band that definitely grow on you- some of their songs are an immediate uppercut, others take time to appreciate. I highly recommend checking out their catalog. Not surprisingly, I have never heard any of their fans criticize their slower or more thoughtful songs, unlike some (maybe a very vocal minority of) Green Day fans. I guess that's just what happens when you are in the spotlight- more adulation, but more criticism as well. Pretty sure the Bouncing Souls highly respect Still Breathing if they've heard it.

This is definitely a gift, @TimmyChunks. This band's resilience truly amazes and inspires me. And not just resilience, but genuine passion for what they do. They've never rested on their laurels, never grown stale. They just keep pushing forward, trying new things and seeing where it takes them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but they always try to be the best version of themselves. And they seem to love what they do now more than ever before. They seem like closer friends now than ever before. How many bands can you say that about? 

You know, I think back to how I felt at this time in 2012, and it makes me feel ill. Everything felt scary and uncertain and I didn't know if I'd ever get my favorite band back. I didn't know how to feel or how to prepare myself for the future. Having to watch the band I'd loved for years totally fall apart like that was one of the most painful experiences I've ever been through. Maybe that sounds dramatic, but it's true. They're always there when I need them, always. Learning to be there for them and learning to draw strength from myself instead of my greatest sense of security fundamentally changed me. But they made it. We made it. 

The fact that I'm able to sit here in my bedroom tonight feeling over the moon for this band, falling in love with them more than ever before? Crying because they've just put out a strong, triumphant new song instead of crying because I was afraid of what the future held? That is powerful. These guys are tough as nails, and so are their fans, I'd like to think. The more I listen to this song, the more I believe it is one of the greatest songs they've ever written. Certainly the most meaningful to me, anyway.

just had to pop back in to say....I played the song for my Patsy Cline, Adele, Sia, Lumineers, Die Antwoord and Nicki Minaj loving wife.....who I still love, despite many times having described Green Day to me as very "meh"............is in tears on first listen and for the first time EVER, asked me, "When is the album coming out?  They haven't released it yet, right?"  

that's proof enough to me there's something otherworldly with this particular song/message

2 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

This is definitely a gift, @TimmyChunks. This band's resilience truly amazes and inspires me. And not just resilience, but genuine passion for what they do. They've never rested on their laurels, never grown stale. They just keep pushing forward, trying new things and seeing where it takes them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but they always try to be the best version of themselves. And they seem to love what they do now more than ever before. They seem like closer friends now than ever before. How many bands can you say that about? 

You know, I think back to how I felt at this time in 2012, and it makes me feel ill. Everything felt scary and uncertain and I didn't know if I'd ever get my favorite band back. I didn't know how to feel or how to prepare myself for the future. Having to watch the band I'd loved for years totally fall apart like that was one of the most painful experiences I've ever been through. Maybe that sounds dramatic, but it's true. They're always there when I need them, always. Learning to be there for them instead and learning to draw strength from myself instead of my greatest sense of security fundamentally changed me. But they made it. We made it. 

The fact that I'm able to sit here in my bedroom tonight feeling over the moon for this band, falling in love with them more than ever before? Crying because they've just put out a strong, triumphant new song instead of crying because I was afraid of what the future held? That is powerful. These guys are tough as nails, and so are their fans, I'd like to think. The more I listen to this song, the more I believe it is one of the greatest songs they've ever written. Certainly the most meaningful to me, anyway.

Much like the song, your comment firmly put a lump in my throat. Great, great comment. You nailed it in every way. This song is a triumph on so many levels. I'm proud of them. Which seems ridiculous since they're such huge rock stars and all, but I am so proud of them, and so happy and proud for us, the fans.

16 minutes ago, zeebodaclown said:

just had to pop back in to say....I played the song for my Patsy Cline, Adele, Sia, Lumineers, Die Antwoord and Nicki Minaj loving wife.....who I still love, despite many times having described Green Day to me as very "meh"............is in tears on first listen and for the first time EVER, asked me, "When is the album coming out?  They haven't released it yet, right?"  

that's proof enough to me there's something otherworldly with this particular song/message

I had the exact opposite reaction with my hubby but I only quoted you because your avi is as as terrifying as the GD masks.😋

The only thing I don't get is when people who don't like the song think just because its softer or similar to other pop singers work that its only to get plays or a cash grab, I feel like Billie just wanted to make a big emotional song. I said it before in the thread but whenever the song plays I picture the bands transformation from like Dookie era brats to Nimrod to American Idiot to now and the growth this band has gone through is pretty stunning. I feel like this song is an answer to the people who had a problem with some of the trilogy material being kinda weird for a 40 year old to be singing.. like Makeout Party and Sweet 16, this is adult and retrospective its appropriate for them to be making this kind of song. I also think thats its pretty fucking amazing that not only can they make songs like Bang Bang and RevRadio but ones like this too! I think thats the sign of a talented composer/band. This new album for me is shaping up to be pretty fucking awesome. I feel bad for those of you who cant hear the beauty or admire the song for being a sick tune amongst a sea of other bands crap. (yes i know there is good music out there but hardly enough rock/punk i find tolerable) Maybe to some people its weak or the lyrics are cliche but compared to other stuff thats out there id take this any day in fact I welcome it.

This is like the trilogy all over again and I love it when people get mad because GD are not writing rock operas anymore :P

1 hour ago, inthehallwaynow said:

The only thing I don't get is when people who don't like the song think just because its softer or similar to other pop singers work that its only to get plays or a cash grab, I feel like Billie just wanted to make a big emotional song. I said it before in the thread but whenever the song plays I picture the bands transformation from like Dookie era brats to Nimrod to American Idiot to now and the growth this band has gone through is pretty stunning. I feel like this song is an answer to the people who had a problem with some of the trilogy material being kinda weird for a 40 year old to be singing.. like Makeout Party and Sweet 16, this is adult and retrospective its appropriate for them to be making this kind of song. I also think thats its pretty fucking amazing that not only can they make songs like Bang Bang and RevRadio but ones like this too! I think thats the sign of a talented composer/band. This new album for me is shaping up to be pretty fucking awesome. I feel bad for those of you who cant hear the beauty or admire the song for being a sick tune amongst a sea of other bands crap. (yes i know there is good music out there but hardly enough rock/punk i find tolerable) Maybe to some people its weak or the lyrics are cliche but compared to other stuff thats out there id take this any day in fact I welcome it.

Well said!!!! :) 

Only people who defend the song think that anyone dislikes it for the sole reason that "it's pop". I've seen maybe one person say "I don't like it because it's pop". Most people don't care about the genre and don't like Still Breathing because they think it's just not a good song.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter. said:

Only people who defend the song think that anyone dislikes it for the sole reason that "it's pop". I've seen maybe one person say "I don't like it because it's pop". Most people don't care about the genre and don't like Still Breathing because they think it's just not a good song.

Yeah I've noticed a fair amount of people just don't like it because they don't think it's good. Even though I love it and wholeheartedly agree with most of the positive stuff said about it I want to make a post in support of those people :lol:, there's nothing wrong with not liking a song or not thinking it's good, or with saying so. 

I really really like this song, my favourite from Revolution Radio so far I think. It's just really beautiful and emotional.

4 hours ago, Harry Potter. said:

Exactly. Well said. 

And the suggestion that "we should just be grateful that they're still releasing material" is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard.

I've loved the band throughout all of the different eras but, in my opinion, this is unfortunately just a poor track, irrespective of genre.

I'm glad other people are enjoying it though!

I think the musical direction they took with this is the most polarizing part, as I've yet to see someone complain about the lyrics. And I can tell I'm standing with one foot in each camp; On the one hand, I really like the song as just a good powerful pop/rock song. On the other hand, it is very unfamiliar in the Green Day world to hear something like this. I mean, the song itself is good, and the melody is amazing. But the soundscape of this song is very much something one would expect from top 40 acts, not from Green Day. And the ooh-ooh's and synth-like guitars in the verse only adds to that. Some people said it sounds like a generic pop song written to give them a hit, but I don't think that's the case. However, authentic writing or not, this still very much sounds like an attempt at a top 40 hit, for better or worse. 

I honestly can't make up my mind whether or not I'm comfortable with this. I won't criticize it though, because you know, #realFan and all. 

i think the reason i didn't like this track at first was that it felt sort of inauthentic. Green Day have their own unique sound, and there's none of that on here, so it felt almost like a non-Green Day song as though they're trying to sound like something different? 

im not going to lie, it does feel like a taking a shot at climbing the charts since their usual stuff doesn't go that high anymore

36 minutes ago, Misterglasshalfempty said:

I think the musical direction they took with this is the most polarizing part, as I've yet to see someone complain about the lyrics. And I can tell I'm standing with one foot in each camp; On the one hand, I really like the song as just a good powerful pop/rock song. On the other hand, it is very unfamiliar in the Green Day world to hear something like this. I mean, the song itself is good, and the melody is amazing. But the soundscape of this song is very much something one would expect from top 40 acts, not from Green Day. And the ooh-ooh's and synth-like guitars in the verse only adds to that. Some people said it sounds like a generic pop song written to give them a hit, but I don't think that's the case. However, authentic writing or not, this still very much sounds like an attempt at a top 40 hit, for better or worse. 

I honestly can't make up my mind whether or not I'm comfortable with this. I won't criticize it though, because you know, #realFan and all. 

Thanks, this is exactly my mindset as well!
I hope the song will be what it's made for. The lyrics are deservig heavy radio airplay :)

Archived