07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

I'll try to not listen to it again until the album comes out (I couldn't resist so I made a one listen rule for RevRad and this.) Not that I believe I won't cave in tomorrow. I won't say more about the song, one listen a day ago is nothing to base an opinion on, I just want to say that I read through many of what was posted today and I'm stunned. I think it's a huge and a very beautiful thing when someone creates art that truly resonates with people. Regardless of what I'll think of SB later, when I listen to it properly, I will most likely have a lot of respect for this song. the reaction it creates is what makes the song much stronger and more meaningful. this thread is a humbling read.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Semi-automatic lonely boy said:

i think i actually gave solid arguments for why this song is such a letdown for me. i didn't want to convince anyone, that this song isn't good. music isn't that objective, tastes are different. maybe this is a really good mainstream pop song, but i wouldn't know. but i think (and thats what i wanted) i explained pretty clearly why it evoked a negative reaction from me.

thank you though for actually trying to understand me, although you didn't seem to find my arguments understandable. but that's ok. at least more than the usual angry oneliners at different opinions from other people here.

maybe the song will grow on you someday (: I had the same struggle with biffy clyro's "re-arrange" for example .. after the first listen (with the unusual 'e-drum pop-sound') i was like "dafuq?" .. and today, after a few listens, the song has grown on me and it even makes me wanna cry sometimes ^^

Just now, James11693 said:

Let's just all agree that this will be one fantastic record 

i guess in the end, after years of spam-threads, raging, and going completely nuts about each other, we will all fall in love again for sth we all share together .. strangers united as one big family again :happyhands:

3 minutes ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

i guess in the end, after years of spam-threads, raging, and going completely nuts about each other, we will all fall in love again for sth we all share together .. strangers united as one big family again :happyhands:

Whether it's tears of joy or frustration, we are all just so passionate about this band. <3

16 minutes ago, Semi-automatic lonely boy said:

that is literally what i said in one of my posts (yes i was that self critical at the end of my rant). i am still entitled to my opinion though.

i know that and i wasn't just addressing you. everyone's entitled to their opinion. :) 

and honestly, I don't think you have to give a reason why you dislike something or garnish it with solid arguments. sometimes you just don't like something. that's okay. tastes differ. it doesn't necessarily have to be problematic in order to be disliked. i have disliked a fair share of things without ever knowing why myself. 

On other note, I think Green Day will prove with that album what they're really capable of. I mean, we got Bang Bang and Still Breathing and these songs couldn't be more different. Even if I won't like a few songs of the album, I will not be disappointed in them or lose my faith because I know they haven't lost their mojo. I am really excited about this.

I really DO NOT understand these negative opinions. GD CAN make a song, melodic harmony pop radio song and it is great! They never sign a contract with pure agressive punk rock genre or sth like that. They are on their OWN. It is just Billie's head. SB is GREAT and MELODIC song. Nobody can write that harmonies like GD, especially with part of Am I bleeding.. 

RevRad can include pure punk and melodic pop, what is the problem? Everybody can find something and with old shit, lets ready for concerts! 

People said the same thing about "Time of your life" back in 1997 "too pop, doesn't sound like Green Day, it's not punk, it's not rock blah blah blah....." Just enjoy it, it's not a crime for an artist to explore different paths, in fact exploring different sounds is a good thing.

I love it! I really hope they play it live. This single is my favourite of the three, followed by Bang Bang.

Did anyone who pre ordered the album on Green Days site, not receive the downloads for Revolution Radio and Still Breathing?

10 minutes ago, kristóf said:

This might be weird, but i hear some My Chemical Romance in that song.

It's got Famous Last Words vibes for sure. Or even How I Disappear.

Guys, while I don't share @Semi-automatic lonely boy's opinion, I understand the point. After the Oh Love video came out I felt similar–I didn't recognize the band I'd loved for so long. I was disconnected from them for a long time because of that. I am in love with Still Breathing, but again, have been in such a position before and understand it.

Time and space helps that disconnect, by the way. Sometimes you just won't jive with even your favorite band, but that doesn't mean you can't get back to a good spot again. :)

16 minutes ago, James11693 said:

Did anyone who pre ordered the album on Green Days site, not receive the downloads for Revolution Radio and Still Breathing?

Yup. It surprised me when I found out some people did

So far I have read that "Still Breathing" sounds like: Pink, Katy Perry, One Direction, 5SOS, Bon Jovi, Fall Out Boy, Avril Lavigne, Blink, Simple Plan, All Time Low, Taylor Swift, My Chemical Romance, Kelly Clarkson, Backstreet Boys, David Guetta...
If I hadn't already heard it, I would have thought that this is the weirdest song ever. :lol:

10 hours ago, crock6000 said:

You not only misunderstood me but I literally wrote that it's highly relatable. What I didn't get, not that it matters, is how someone can think of the song as though it is being "sung by someone else" but i still wasn't saying that was wrong. There is no wrong in art, just discussion. There's nothing more subjective than art. If anything, it was that thought that I was pushing.

go have a re-read. Or don't and just believe me. ;)

Rememver when I was your favorite? The good old days.

You are my favourite don't worry about @Scattered Wreck she is just a cranky bitch.

have had still breathing on constantly - love it - even if hubby is calling BJ - Taylor Armstrong now😏🙃

1 minute ago, Tinkle said:

You are my favourite don't worry about @Scattered Wreck she is just a cranky bitch.

have had still breathing on constantly - love it - even if hubby is calling BJ - Taylor Armstrong now😏🙃

Don't worry he's been my favorite fir awhile. 

My immediate reactions to the first two songs off the album were a bit 'meh, is that it?' and they've both been real growers, love them both now and they get stuck in my head for days. This one isn't getting stuck in my head, but I liked it on first listen and have been replaying it a lot. It's certainly a bit different, and I can see why people are making the 'generic' or 'too poppy' arguments, but as an overall package it just works for me. After the trilogy I wasn't sure whether the band would really be able to follow it up with anything more than a mediocre record but RevRad is growing on me every day from what we've heard so far, I'm starting to get genuinely excited

10 minutes ago, Jax Teller said:

So far I have read that "Still Breathing" sounds like: Pink, Katy Perry, One Direction, 5SOS, Bon Jovi, Fall Out Boy, Avril Lavigne, Blink, Simple Plan, All Time Low, Taylor Swift, My Chemical Romance, David Guetta...
If I hadn't already heard it, I would have thought that this is the weirdest song ever. :lol:

You forgot Kelly Clarkson 😛

Just got the Still Breathing download but still haven't got Revolution Radio though, weird.

I like the lyric video but it doesn't make the song justice, If I'm going to show the song to a friend, I'll probably just use spotify or something.

18 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

I like the lyric video but it doesn't make the song justice, If I'm going to show the song to a friend, I'll probably just use spotify or something.

My first listen was on spotify.. Terrible quality. Makes the guitars sound like they are from the Trilogy with almost no distortion. The YouTube video is much better sound quality.

2 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

My first listen was on spotify.. Terrible quality. Makes the guitars sound like they are from the Trilogy with almost no distortion. The YouTube video is much better sound quality.

What I meant is that I would show only the audio but yeah haha

10 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

I'm curious if they will make a music video for this song. It will either be very cheesy or very emotional and meaningful. 

Hopefully nothing like "The Forgotten" haha

I'm getting emails from Warner Brothers that this song is out.  I didn't get any emails from Warner Brothers when Bang Bang or Rev RAd were released.  Warner Brothers are pushing this song.  I think they hear a hit. 

Archived