07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most baffling part of that nonsense is saying the song is "whiny." I took it as powerful and realistic and positive, not whining. 

I'm not against Green Day venturing outside their familiar genres every now and then, I liked Nightlife a lot. Except I don't really like the specific genre they ventured into with this song, that Chris Daugherty butt rock type of thing.

But I like this song okay, it's my least favorite of the three Revolution Radio songs we've heard so far.

It's the lowest I've heard Billie Joe go with his voice in a long time.

Unlike Bang Bang, this song was very predictable melodically, at every line Billie sang I knew what the melody for the next line would be and hoped to be wrong but I wasn't.

Still, enjoyable all the same.

34 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

That chord progression at 2:47 sound like The Forgotten to me.

I guess I heard it, very slight though.

3 minutes ago, Semi-automatic lonely boy said:

so is this the new simple plan song?

No, it's the new Green Day song 

Passive agressive smiley just for you :)

On 22.9.2016 at 4:36 PM, Jake69 said:

Also, poppy doesn't equal bad.

you're right. but there are different kinds of poppy. this is just one of those songs that makes me want to throw my radio out of the window. seriously, this sounds like every terrible plastic pop band with guitars out there. this is so calculated and unauthentic. i never thought green day would go down that road. what a huge letdown. biggest disappointment in the band history. i hated i heart performances, going to the voice, making fucking itunes pepsi commercials condemning illegal downloads (on top of that with a cover song in a version of one of the best punk bands...), etc.... .

but i always thought they'd never compromise their music, which clearly happened here. they are aiming for the mainstream and you can hear it. just 15 years ago they would ridicule this song themselfs. BoBD and 21 guns are pop. but they are authentic. they sound like green day and you can hear their influences in those songs and they still have that edge, that makes those songs sound far from generic. judging from this song their influence must be david guetta now...

it's not that i just don't like the song. the problem is that this is just a cheap shot for the top 40, where all songs sound like this. this is so not green day. before i knew someone else "co" wrote the song, i thought to myself after 10 seconds of listening "wow, someone must have wrote that shitty song for them".

2 minutes ago, Semi-automatic lonely boy said:

no words for your rant

sounds like you didnt even take 10 minutes of your time to actually listen to the lyrics and get the meaning behind it

I never realised how polarising this song was until reading the last few pages especially. Some people are just like 'nope' and then there's others who can relate the lyrics to their own struggles in life, myself included.

Put it this way, green day have always been a little bit pop! I don't understand how (besides maybe sonically) this is drastically different from anything they've done before? They were never going to be a diy hardcore punk band or whatever. I mean compared to the trilogy the 3 songs we've heard are not even in the same league as the vast majority of the 37 songs they put out then! 

It's amazing how one song can make people so angry at a band. Green Day is by far my favorite band, but I don't like all of their songs. When Nightlife came out, I hated it. It was nothing that I came to love and expect from Green Day, but I didn't start saying shit like "HOW COULD THEY!? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. GOODBYE GREEN DAY. SELL OUTS! TOO POP FOR ME!" Like jeez if you don't like a song, that's fine. I respect that. But one song doesn't define a band

8 minutes ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

no words for your rant

sounds like you didnt even take 10 minutes of your time to actually listen to the lyrics and get the meaning behind it

the lyrics are one thing (even though they have no  more substance than "uh i had hard times and i'm still here".just because you express honest feelings, it doesn't get good necessarily).

but i am just critisizing the musical direction of this song. and it's just fine for me if you or a majority of the fanbase like it. makes neither of us think differently about it.

green day fans always came from different musical backrounds and they could all agree on this band, which is a huge quality of them! but today i think there is not much to agree on. this track caters to a certain target audience. people of that audience will like this song (or they will claim to be "open minded", whatever), which is great for them. i don't want to ruin anything for you all, really. all i wanted to do was to express my disappointment with one of my favourite bands ever. they mean a lot to me, otherwise they wouldn't evoke this emotional response from me. i don't want anyone to share my opinion, it's totally fine. i just hope you can see where i'm coming from.

it sounds overdramatic, but the idea i had of green day in my head died a little today. but i know this is not my band, it's not on me to hold them to any ideal i have. maybe it's time for me to let them go a little bit after all these years and still enjoy the great music they gave to the world. but this is just a pathway i can't go along.

just for clarity, as @emenius already said: i didn't mind nightlife or any musical experiment they have done before, even though i didn't enjoy them all musically, but i could still see the authenticity behind it. this here is different from "just a song i don't like".

Just now, Billie Hoe said:

Imagine getting so worked up about a band not catering to your personal wants

ugh yeah, how pathetic, right? maybe it is. but it is coming from a deep connection with the bands music i build over the majority of my life. for some people music is more than just something to consume.

12 minutes ago, Semi-automatic lonely boy said:

i honestly dont know if you are trolling or taking this seriously for real..? :D

it seems like you kinda missunderstood how music can or should work in first line (no offense) .. GD are authentic, and I'm sure billie is writing his songs for himself in first position, not to fit the expectations of the fans or the masses .. and of course they try to aim to write "hits", but not as top priority

you can like the song or dislike it, everyone is free to have his own opinion (but I'm honestly sick of people who cant explain their disliking with solid arguments)

plus, maybe still breathing will be the "worst" song for you, but you can easily skip it and still listen to 11 other (probably well-written) songs

2 hours ago, Matt. said:

Well, I guess the song is doing a good job so far of reaching out to people who don't listen to Green Day...

17 minutes ago, ZSebs said:

It's amazing how one song can make people so angry at a band. Green Day is by far my favorite band, but I don't like all of their songs. When Nightlife came out, I hated it. It was nothing that I came to love and expect from Green Day, but I didn't start saying shit like "HOW COULD THEY!? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. GOODBYE GREEN DAY. SELL OUTS! TOO POP FOR ME!" Like jeez if you don't like a song, that's fine. I respect that. But one song doesn't define a band

I agree, while I wasn't a huge fan of the song the first time I heard it, I still accepted the fact that there are going to be more songs on RevRad that I like than ones that I dislike.

Freaking out about something like this is pretty pointless in my opinion, it's not like they've suddenly gone to autotune and dubstep...

4 minutes ago, Semi-automatic lonely boy said:

ugh yeah, how pathetic, right? maybe it is. but it is coming from a deep connection with the bands music i build over the majority of my life. for some people music is more than just something to consume.

Yeah, you can be disappointed. I have been disappointed with a few songs too, as has everyone I assume. Didn't say your disappointment is pathetic.  But you're barking up the wrong tree here, man. You don't like the song, we get it. Move on. There are tons of other songs for you to listen to. 

And please, you're obviously not the only one who has a deep connection to Green Day and who cares a great deal about their music. But you can't expect them to always do the same shit forever. People have been saying "I want it to sound like Dookie / Insomniac / American Idiot / Insert Past Album Title Here again". Well booho. It's not gonna happen and it's time to accept that. "It doesn't sound like Green Day!!" Green Day is not a genre, but a band and they can do whatever the fuck they want and you don't have to like it and you certainly aren't entitled to be catered to just because you like them. 

you can like the song or dislike it, everyone is free to have his own opinion (but I'm honestly sick of people who cant explain their disliking with solid arguments)

i think i actually gave solid arguments for why this song is such a letdown for me. i didn't want to convince anyone, that this song isn't good. music isn't that objective, tastes are different. maybe this is a really good mainstream pop song, but i wouldn't know. but i think (and thats what i wanted) i explained pretty clearly why it evoked a negative reaction from me.

thank you though for actually trying to understand me, although you didn't seem to find my arguments understandable. but that's ok. at least more than the usual angry oneliners at different opinions from other people here.

1 hour ago, Semi-automatic lonely boy said:

BoBD and 21 guns are pop. but they are authentic. they sound like green day and you can hear their influences in those songs and they still have that edge, that makes those songs sound far from generic.

This line I agree with 100%, and I think it perfectly sums up why I'm not a fan of the track. In my opinion, Still Breathing sounds like it's a from a different band entirely. Their other "poppy" singles still maintain the Green Day identity in terms of sound. There is nothing wrong with making a pop song if it still has elements of the band in some way. Call me crazy but I don't listen to Green Day to hear songs that sound like some other band. I love the lyrics, I think they're obviously very powerful, but to me, great lyrics don't automatically make a track awesome. While I may not like the song too much, I love the fact that it seems to be hitting a lot of fans emotionally. I guess i'd rather have an emotional pop song than a meaningless one. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

It's not gonna happen and it's time to accept that. (...) they can do whatever the fuck they want and you don't have to like it and you certainly aren't entitled to be catered to just because you like them. 

that is literally what i said in one of my posts (yes i was that self critical at the end of my rant). i am still entitled to my opinion though.

Just now, James11693 said:

Let's just all agree that this will be one fantastic record 

My hopes are still high! One track won't lower my excitement level! ;)

Archived