07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

3 minutes ago, emenius said:

Kind of getting annoyed with the suggestion that anyone who doesn't like this song must be closed minded and only wants the band to sound like Dookie/Insomniac etc.

I've been listening to Green Day for 22 years and have stuck with them exactly because they have grown as a band and evolved their sound.

I love when they stretch themselves with more experimental tracks, and all  the side-projects from The Network to Foreverly.

I'm a big fan of good pop music, and have no problem with Green Day sounding poppy. However, I just don't think this is a particularly good pop song, or an interesting direction for the band. It just sounds like so many other songs out there and, although I hope I'm wrong, I suspect it's an attempt to get a radio hit for the album.

I've had plenty of life experiences that could make me connect with the sentiment of the song, but the whole thing just sounds superficial to me.

Anyway, still have high hopes that some of the other songs on the album will go in a more innovative and interesting direction.

I'm not saying you're closed minded if you don't like it, I've just seen a lot of people disliking it by giving really stupid reasons so I decided to share what I thought about it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This song is really excellent. The lyrics are hitting me a lot harder than I thought Billie Joe's lyrics could these days, honestly. The whole song just wraps me up and gives me a big hug, and I guess that's because I'm having a particularly rough time right now, but I can still see this song bringing a lot of comfort across the board. Chorus is probably some of his strongest lyrics from any of these three songs released so far.

I just want this record now!!

I'm really curious as to how it will connect with Bouncing off the Wall. The connection with Youngblood seems more obvious both sonically and lyrically ("To you", followed by a jubilant love letter to Adrienne). I can't make anything of the title or the former title (Concrete Dreams).

11 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

I'm not saying you're closed minded if you don't like it, I've just seen a lot of people disliking it by giving really stupid reasons so I decided to share what I thought about it.

True. But you are right about the Dookie and Insomniac thing. I talked to people right away and that was one of the first things they said. They would wish they went back to those days LOL. Die Hard Rock only fans will always say Pop music sucks and quick to call this too popish. People open to new things wouldn't complain about that. 

5 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

I love all three lyric videos! Whoever produced them is very talented. 

Find all of them more entertaining than Bang Bang official music video or other Green Day videos. Imagine how cool it would be if they did it for every song on the album once Revolution Radio is in stores? or at least a couple more :woot: 

15 minutes ago, Eric said:

True. But you are right about the Dookie and Insomniac thing. I talked to people right away and that was one of the first things they said. They would wish they went back to those days LOL. Die Hard Rock only fans will always say Pop music sucks and quick to call this too popish. People open to new things wouldn't complain about that. 

I think you can have legit reasons to dislike the song like @emenius's reasons (which I couldn't possible disagree more but I can respect it nonetheless), but most people are just giving absolute horse crap reasons.

Non sense comparisons to pop artists like Katy Perry (they've been recycling that one since Oh Love), saying the song is bland and I even read about someone saying that the lyrics were, quote on quote; hold your pants, "too pessimist for him".

Some people just don't even know what they're babbling about.

33 minutes ago, ZSebs said:

The signature sound of Green Day has been known to be the raw sound, songs without too many effects, just the three of them making music. American Idiot had a lot more effects such as voice filters and what not. I like American Idiot, but it definitely isn't the signature Green Day sound. 

Dude, I don't know about you but when I think of Green Day, I immediately think of Basket Case, AMERICAN IDIOT and maybe 21 Guns which are probably the most well known songs by most people.

"The signature sound of Green Day has been known to be the raw sound, songs without too many effects" - I think I can fairly say that, that changed a while ago. "just the three of them making music" it's not their "signature sound" that sounds more like a "back to roots" kind of way of making music, which they did this time around.

Just now, Eric said:

That attitude annoys me a little, certainly because Billie himself stated in the last RS interview (the one about the past) that a certain portion of nostalgia is good, but that too much harking back to the halcyon glory of the past is basically an exercise in irrealism and disappointment. Bands evolve and experiment, sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse (System of a Down comes to mind as a recent example). I love Dookie and Insomniac, but I don't believe they should try to pull off a second Dookie. Blink tried to revive the Take Off Your Pants and Jacket whilst trying to be relevant to a new generation and honestly, they bombed. GD did a half-hearted attempted to go back to the 'simple' garage sound of Kerplunk with the Trilogy and then we got random songs like Nuclear Family and DRB and cringeworthy lyrics on several songs. I don't think any song on the album will sound as poppy as Still Breathing. They are clearly going for sonical variety ala Nimrod combined with epic lyrics as found on AI and 21CB whilst keeping things fresh and something you would expect from guys in their mid-forties. Everyone who has read the recent RS interviews knows what the band has been through and how lucky we are to actually be talking about new Green Day music. The lyrics and the vocals speak to the predicaments of that period. This song is Billie's most personal yet and though I'm not overly fond of the sonical aspect, this thread alone is testament to the power of the lyrics and its capability to bring people together. And that's what Billie's goal was for Revolution Radio. I think he is succeeding mightily fine with this song and the album in general.

They are going back to their roots. They said that Outlaws is like Christie Road 2.0 and there's a song that sounds like Dookie, so your argument is invalid.

5 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

They are going back to their roots. They said that Outlaws is like Christie Road 2.0 and there's a song that sounds like Dookie, so your argument is invalid.

I never said they can't draw from their earlier records. I've only stated that they won't do a Dookie 2.0, like they did with Insomniac. They said that Outlaws is kind of a sequel to Christie Road, which doesn't automatically mean it will sound completely like Christie Road. There is still room for a Dookie-inspired track on this record, yet it is clear RevRad won't be a revision of American Idiot or Dookie sonically or lyrically, as proven by the diversity displayed by the three hitherto released songs.

Did someone say they had got a download through their pre-order?  I've only had a download for Bang Bang so far, maybe I have a different order, I went for CD with lyric book as opposed to vinyl. 

1 minute ago, Dakke said:

I never said they can't draw from their earlier records. I've only stated that they won't do a Dookie 2.0, like they did with Insomniac. They said that Outlaws is kind of a sequel to Christie Road, which doesn't automatically mean it will sound completely like Christie Road.

Well you can't make another Dookie anyway, that's like the greatest album ever. :P But I heard the influence on the Trilogy and I hear it on RevRad.

7 minutes ago, jengd said:

Did someone say they had got a download through their pre-order?  I've only had a download for Bang Bang so far, maybe I have a different order, I went for CD with lyric book as opposed to vinyl. 

Apparently you should receive an email with a download link.

1 hour ago, ZSebs said:

The signature sound of Green Day has been known to be the raw sound, songs without too many effects, just the three of them making music. American Idiot had a lot more effects such as voice filters and what not. I like American Idiot, but it definitely isn't the signature Green Day sound. 

When you make a masterpiece of an album that makes your band relevant again in the world, is a sure thing that AI is also a signature sound of Green Day. In a few years, when people look back to the old school era, AI will be there as well. It's been 12 years. It is a classic album already.

23 minutes ago, Jacksonreviews said:

I just saw this cool review of the new album. 

"I just saw..."

Hmmm.. strange that your username is the same one as the name at the end of the video... it's almost like you're advertising your own video... Nah probably it's just me. :P

to be honest it's mediocre as all hell. cheesy too. i don't like this one. compared to Revrad and Bang Bang, still breathing is a MAJOR disappointment.

1 hour ago, Steven Seagull said:

Wrong, when we talk about signature Green Day sound we talk about Dookie. AI and 21CB had to many added effects that just ruins the songs. 

Bang Bang sounds like Insomniac, but the added static sounds and that weird bridge makes it sound like 21CB. 

Still Breathing is like Tre and Warning mix.

Dookie is not GD's signature sound. And neither is American Idiot to me. I think Nimrod/Warning would be because it has that mix of the older GD albums (Dookie/Kerplunk/Insomniac) and the later GD albums (AI/21CB/Trilogy). 

And I still don't understand what your problem is with the "static sounds" on Bang Bang and 21CB. They're such minor things, I don't understand how they annoy you so much.

And if you think that simple music is always better than complex music, then you have no musical taste

50 minutes ago, jengd said:

I also only got Bang Bang and I preordered the vinyl

1 hour ago, Billie Hoe said:

Yep, I was wondering why the beginning was so cut off

Reading through I had an idea; what if Bouncing off the Wall is like, the drugs and all the bad hitting and Still Breathing is like the "Holy shit, I'm still alive," part after it?

Love the song but Im not fucking with that lyric video too hard though. I think the grim atmosphere is cool, but a significant amount of the images shown are too literal and unimaginative to me. It's like if a music video was all like "Dooooo you have the time" and it zooms in a watch. "To listen to me whine" cuts to Billie with a rattle and pacifier. 

2 minutes ago, deletethisaccount said:

Love the song but Im not fucking with that lyric video too hard though. I think the grim atmosphere is cool, but a significant amount of the images shown are too literal and unimaginative to me. It's like if a music video was all like "Dooooo you have the time" and it zooms in a watch. "To listen to me whine" cuts to Billie with a rattle and pacifier. 

That would actually be funny. I'd watch that video

56 minutes ago, jengd said:

Yeah, I did! And I preordered the lyric book. I got the email before it was even out on my iTunes! 

4 minutes ago, Master Roshi said:

@Steven Seagull In which point do you hear similarities with The Forgotten? I'm just curious 'cause I can't seem to find any.

That chord progression at 2:47 sound like The Forgotten to me.

Archived