07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Heather. said:

So I didn't see it in the GDA report... is this being released to radio at all?  Cuz, well, for obvious reasons, it should be.

We don't know yet. I'm keeping an eye on various sites that report that stuff and I'll be sure to report back if I see something.

I don't know about you guys, but I think that probably most people that don't enjoy this one are somehow stuck with the Dookie and Insomniac sound and that's why they say is "bland and generic pop-punk", 'cause they're just focusing on the tip of the iceberg aka the instrumental facet of the song. Is either that or they really don't have anything that makes them connect with the song, which it's sad.

Green Day's sound since American Idiot, has turn into something so much more thant just loud guitars, crazy bass lines and pounding drums. Sure they could make an album full of songs like Bang Bang but, like I said, since 2004 they're music has developed and it's more focus on the impact they make on a sentimental level, just compare songs like 21 Guns, Whatsername and Brutal Love to Green Day hits like Basket Case, Geek Stink Breath and Hitchin' a Ride.

Of course they can still rock the shit out of you and they proved it with Bang Bang but it's nice that they can do that whilst also making me weep like a baby on songs like Still Breathing.

I haven't listened to the track and I don't think I'm going to until I listen to the album in a few weeks. But I don't like seeing people complaining about it being poppy. Like, the main reason why this band is so popular is because they could right very melodic and catchy pop-punk/rock, while also being meaningful and fun. And it is very sad to see some people still associate pop music with bad music. Of course, there is a lot of bad pop music, but there are some truly wonderful artists. And I don't mind that they used co-writers, this band can definitely write a great song, but it is always good to have someone with an outsider point of view collaborating. They self-produced the album so it is not like they were doing anything they didn't want to.

5 minutes ago, Heather. said:

It's kinda Bon Jovi like.  Livin on Prayer!  Haha

Totally getting that Bed of Roses feel to it.

It's strange—I admire Billie's writing so much, but don't typically relate on a strong level to his lyrics. Not personally. I feel connected to the music in a way I can't describe, but the life he writes about is usually not similar to mine in any way. I wasn't a rebellious teenager, I didn't feel dissatisfied as a kid. I had a happy childhood for the most part. As an adult life can get pretty boring sometimes, but I'm in a pretty good spot. That said, there is something about the way he writes—and in this song more than ever before—where he can just evoke real, honest emotions in me as the listener even if my experience is not similar to his situation. Despite a happy disposition I've been through a fair bit of shit in my life—losing three close family members in three years, then watching my mom go through chemo the year after (which ran concurrent to Billie's substance abuse issues, which only made me feel even more alone and scared). I went through all that during college, and came out the other side a completely different person. But looking back, it's like shit, I survived that. I survived some of the worst moments of my life before turning 20. Don't know how, but I did it. And I feel like a better person for it. I might still worry about my mom every day, I might still have nights where I ache to share what I've been up to with my late grandmother, but I'm pulling through and pushing forward. Not every day is the best, but I'm making the most of it. That counts for something. In all that pain and confusion, I made it out alive.

8 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

I don't know about you guys, but I think that probably most people that don't enjoy this one are somehow stuck with the Dookie and Insomniac sound and that's why they say is "bland and generic pop-punk", 'cause they're just focusing on the tip of the iceberg aka the instrumental facet of the song.

Green Day's sound since American Idiot, has turn into something so much more thant just loud guitars, crazy bass lines and pounding drums. Sure they could make an album full of songs like Bang Bang but, like I said, since 2004 they're music has developed and it's more focus on the impact they make on a sentimental level, just compare songs like 21 Guns, Whatsername and Brutal Love to Green Day hits like Basket Case, Geek Stink Breath and Hitchin' a Ride.

Of course they can still rock the shit out of you and they proved it with Bang Bang but it's nice that they can do that whilst also making me weep like a baby on songs like Still Breathing.

Not true. I like their early albums and I hate AI and 21CB sound and I think this song is great. It has nothing to do with which albums you like more. I think that the 2004-2009 sound was way to complex (in a bad way) and Bang Bang sounds like that, that's why I hate it. This new song reminds me more of their old sound, like something that would be included on Warning or on back to their roots albums on the trilogy. It's a simple song and simple songs are so much better.

I think some of you are a bit too strict with Billie and this song, I cried when I heard it and it does not sound pop for me and those who dare to compare the band with a pop band are false fans and stupid.

5 minutes ago, Flora Girod said:

I think some of you are a bit too strict with Billie and this song, I cried when I heard it and it does not sound pop for me and those who dare to compare the band with a pop band are false fans and stupid.

Saying it sounds pop isn't necessarily meant as an insult you know. It's just a description of the way the music/singing sounds. I think it sounds more pop than any song Green Day has released before, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Pop doesn't automatically equal bad.

2 minutes ago, Flora Girod said:

those who dare to compare the band with a pop band are false fans and stupid.

tumblr_inline_odyvpfOjc61r24lmr_540.jpg

8 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

I don't know about you guys, but I think that probably most people that don't enjoy this one are somehow stuck with the Dookie and Insomniac sound and that's why they say is "bland and generic pop-punk", 'cause they're just focusing on the tip of the iceberg aka the instrumental facet of the song. Is either that or they really don't have anything that makes them connect with the song, which it's sad.

Couldn't agree more, and well, if we look at their discography, it is clear that there has always been an evolution going on. Starting on Nimrod the band decided not to be afraid of taking higher risks, and is most of the cases it has paid off, whether it was in sales, or more importantly, in their overall sound. Not many bands can pull this off with such success as Green Day, just look at how many bands only dwell in the past and simply get stale, releasing the same sound over and over until they are forgotten and irrelevant

This song really turns me off. Lyrics are ok and all (I bearly judge lyrics anyway because it's hard to me as someone who English is not his native language), but the music... I don't know, I just don't like it.
Maybe as  a track on the full album I'll be ok with it. I never skip tracks when I listen to albums, but they always have at least 1 track that I would never listen as an individual songs (like In The End on Dookie). I survived worse songs, there's no reason to suddenly skip this one when I listen to the full album.

Is it just me or does it sound like there might be a transition between Bouncig Off The Wall and Still Breathing? 

11 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Not true. I like their early albums and I hate AI and 21CB sound and I think this song is great. It has nothing to do with which albums you like more. I think that the 2004-2009 sound was way to complex (in a bad way) and Bang Bang sounds like that, that's why I hate it. This new song reminds me more of their old sound, like something that would be included on Warning or on back to their roots albums on the trilogy. It's a simple song and simple songs are so much better.

Firstly, I can't take seriously someone that's a Green Day fan but "hates" AI, seriously no offense. It's just that for me that's like being a Blink-182 fan and hate Take Off Your Pants and Jacket or being a Metallica fan but hate Master of Puppets or The Black Album... American Idiot it's the average Green Day sound we all love and praise, for me it's contradictory hating on it being a Green Day fan.

Secondly, I didn't say that it was about what albums you like the most but rather the way you appreciate a record, you can't listen Dookie or Kerplunk with the same ears and mindset you listen to 21st Century Breakdown (that's probably your problem with AI).

...and btw, Bang Bang sounds NOTHING like mid 2000's Green Day, same with Still Breathing, but that's my opinion.

I think the best thing about this song is all of the stories people are sharing about how it's helped them get through a difficult time, or what it means to them. That's the best thing about music is the stories that come with it.

Rage and Love to all the Idiots here. :dance:

54 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Now YouTube are just being assholes

strange.. It works for me:ermm:

17 minutes ago, T@l said:

This song really turns me off. Lyrics are ok and all (I bearly judge lyrics anyway because it's hard to me as someone who English is not his native language), but the music... I don't know, I just don't like it.
Maybe as  a track on the full album I'll be ok with it. I never skip tracks when I listen to albums, but they always have at least 1 track that I would never listen as an individual songs (like In The End on Dookie). I survived worse songs, there's no reason to suddenly skip this one when I listen to the full album.

Well that's not a surprise, more than half of the song's quality is on the lyrics. 

Like I said earlier, if you're just going to listen to their music because of the music itself and you're going to ignore the lyrics then you're better off listening to 90's Green Day or just focus on Bang Bang and Revolution Radio ;)

10 minutes ago, Procopio said:

Is it just me or does it sound like there might be a transition between Bouncig Off The Wall and Still Breathing? 

That would be cool, I love transitions.

1 hour ago, 21guns&novacaine said:

I think that if there's one thing to be said about this song, regardless of how 'poppy' or 'un-green-day' it sounds, it's connecting with people. I've spent all morning browsing through all these stories, the demons this song brought up, and how it's helping people coop with them. If that isn't a successful song, I don't know what is. To me, if a song has lousy lyrics, but a cool sound, I'm unlikely to willingly listen to the song on loop. But when there's lyrics like this, ones you can marry your soul to, and feel and express yourself through, then that's pretty damn cool. 

I feel basically the same way in regards to lyrical content. Good music with lame lyrics get old fast to me though a song with lyrics i love and can relate to will stick with me far longer.

Does this thread win the award for the highest concentration of really long posts?  :P 

Just now, spark in the night said:

Does this thread win the award for the highest concentration of really long posts?  :P 

At least for a great part it's being more productive and constructive than the usual :lol:

21 minutes ago, Procopio said:

Yep, I was wondering why the beginning was so cut off

19 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

Firstly, I can't take seriously someone that's a Green Day fan but "hates" AI, seriously no offense. It's just that for me that's like being a Blink-182 fan and hate Take Off Your Pants and Jacket or being a Metallica fan but hate Master of Puppets or The Black Album... American Idiot it's the average Green Day sound we all love and praise, for me it's contradictory hating on it being a Green Day fan.

Secondly, I didn't say that it was about what albums you like the most but rather the way you appreciate a record, you can't listen Dookie or Kerplunk with the same ears and mindset you listen to 21st Century Breakdown (that's probably your problem with AI).

...and btw, Bang Bang sounds NOTHING like mid 2000's Green Day, same with Still Breathing, but that's my opinion.

Wrong, when we talk about signature Green Day sound we talk about Dookie. AI and 21CB had to many added effects that just ruins the songs. 

Bang Bang sounds like Insomniac, but the added static sounds and that weird bridge makes it sound like 21CB. 

Still Breathing is like Tre and Warning mix.

Just now, Steven Seagull said:

Wrong, when we talk about signature Green Day sound we talk about Dookie. AI and 21CB had to many added effects that just ruins the song. 

Bang Bang sounds like Insomniac, but the added static sounds and that weird bridge makes it sound like 21CB. 

Still Breathing is like Tre and Warning mix.

You're saying American Idiot it's not their signature sound alongside with Dookie? Jesus christ, I officially have given up on you.

33 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

Totally getting that Bed of Roses feel to it.

36 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

Kind of getting annoyed with the suggestion that anyone who doesn't like this song must be closed minded and only wants the band to sound like Dookie/Insomniac etc.

I've been listening to Green Day for 22 years and have stuck with them exactly because they have grown as a band and evolved their sound.

I love when they stretch themselves with more experimental tracks, and all  the side-projects from The Network to Foreverly.

I'm a big fan of good pop music, and have no problem with Green Day sounding poppy. However, I just don't think this is a particularly good pop song, or an interesting direction for the band. It just sounds like so many other songs out there and, although I hope I'm wrong, I suspect it's an attempt to get a radio hit for the album.

I've had plenty of life experiences that could make me connect with the sentiment of the song, but the whole thing just sounds superficial to me.

Anyway, still have high hopes that some of the other songs on the album will go in a more innovative and interesting direction.

1 minute ago, Stefano Bras said:

You're saying American Idiot it's not their signature sound alongside with Dookie? Jesus christ, I officially have given up on you.

The signature sound of Green Day has been known to be the raw sound, songs without too many effects, just the three of them making music. American Idiot had a lot more effects such as voice filters and what not. I like American Idiot, but it definitely isn't the signature Green Day sound. 

Archived