07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

20 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

Is that the same guy who put Bang Bang as one of the worst tracks of the week too?

He had mixed feelings about Bang Bang but listed Revolution Radio as one of the worst citing "some of their cringiest lyrics to date" as the reason.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Harry Potter. said:

He had mixed feelings about Bang Bang but listed Revolution Radio as one of the worst citing "some of their cringiest lyrics to date" as the reason.

I'm wondering how cringe-worthy he found Troublemaker and Fuck Time then.

I desperately hope that they do this song live, I love it so much.

It really hits me on a personal level.

11 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

Hey folks in Germany, aren't you able to watch the lyrics video, too? I broke my rule and wanted to watch it although the album isn't out yet, but I only get this. It's blocked by GEMA although it's GD's official video, for heaven's sake, there's no need to block it.... :fuckyou: I could watch RevRad and Bang Bang videos though, that's just strange.

Yep. I installed a proxy unblocker though. I wrote to GEMA on twitter and they say they have nothing to do with it, that they're not blocking the videos, they have nothing to do with it, and YouTube is lying. Apparently they're just blocking the videos and put GEMA on it to destroy their reputation or something because they fight for musicians' rights (and YouTube apparently treats them unfairly). :ermm: Not sure if I believe that. 

Okay, this song has truly touched me. My dad and I used to play guitar together all the time and go to concerts (he actually took me to my first Green Day show and my second show back in 2013 when I was 14). He got me in to rock music overall and got me started in playing guitar when I was 8. Music was our thing. Anyway he passed away about 4 months ago and was actually quite young. This obviously fucked me and my family over big time. Like I was thinking that this is my life? Spending all that time with my father just for him to die and leave me and my family alone? Green Day is my all time favourite band like it is many other's in this forum and now that they released a song like this has made me realise that life is not just a bunch of shit and all that. It has made me realise that I am indeed still alive and life will get better. I mean Next year will be a lot better already (I mean I'm gonna see these guys live again for example). Sorry if this text is a mess but I just needed to get that out of my system.

I was debating whether or not I wanted to post this yesterday, but you other people sharing your (beautiful!) stories have convinced me.

This song hit me as hard as it did because I nearly lost my fiance to the same addictions as Billie. I can still hear the doctor saying he had three weeks to live and I was constantly expecting to wake up to the news that he wasn't around anymore. Everyone told me to get out because nothing would change and I'd be a young widow but I ignored them all and it was hard, but so worth it because I eventually got to see the most beautiful recovery. I went from knowing he didn't even want to be alive to hearing him say for the first time that he wanted to live, that life is beautiful and that he was so wrong to have ever thought otherwise. I thought I was going to lose him again when he got cancer as a result of the substance abuse but he was so strong going through all the surgeries and he's OK. I know he was truly "scared to death to live" but he did live. Now he smiles instead of sulking, he wants to go back to school, he does phone service for NA and saves the lives of other people like him.

It's hard to articulate quite how each line touches me, but I see him in every line and I just start sobbing when I hear "my head's above the rain and roses / making my way to you", because I don't think it had truly sunk in that I'm not going to lose him until I heard that. I'd bottled up more angst and hurt than I even knew for years and finally got it out of my system last night thanks to this song.

I am so going to break down when I hear this live. Here ends my gushing!

There's no way they'll avoid playing this live. They seemed really proud and psyched for this song to be released. And as the third song released, that indicates to me that they want people to learn it before the concerts start.

8 minutes ago, asiegrist said:

So I really really like this song, I've listed to it a ton already and I love the passion in Billie's voice. That said, I feel like this song is pretty "cookie cutter" and most of the album was somewhat intended to be more favorable to the masses and mainstream radio. One striking thing about the album is there's what, one song with swearing? So maybe Billie has cleaned it up a bit just for that fact. I think the lack of success of the trilogy really has made them want to crank out an album that puts them back in the limelight...I say that and I'm a big fan of the trilogy.  I really like bang bang, revolution radio is alright, and now we have this song and I'm sure I'll like the whole album it's just all this is in the back of my mind when I say that.

It's definitely toned back compared to the Trilogy (Uno! in particular) and even 21CB. It's back to Warning/Kerplunk levels, which is not a bad thing in se. And of course they want to be back in the limelight, hell, it's been six years since they really got a lot of attention and if the arena show is anything to go by, a lot of people are excited they are back. I'm stoked about RevRad.

I see. Apparently people who pre-ordered get emails when Revolution Radio or Still Breathing are released to directly download them. Well, except for me. What the fuck. :mad:

16 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

You're absolutely right, there is so much passion and pain in that scream, it gives me goosebumps!

Hey folks in Germany, aren't you able to watch the lyrics video, too? I broke my rule and wanted to watch it although the album isn't out yet, but I only get this. It's blocked by GEMA although it's GD's official video, for heaven's sake, there's no need to block it.... :fuckyou: I could watch RevRad and Bang Bang videos though, that's just strange.

well you could use a proxy server but thats not the best solution...

You should check out The Rock Reel on YouTube, they uploaded RR and Bang Bang too and you can watch it here in Germany.

I think they might do the same thing with Still Breathing

9 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

I see. Apparently people who pre-ordered get emails when Revolution Radio or Still Breathing are released to directly download them. Well, except for me. What the fuck. :mad:

Neither did I, I only received Bang Bang, so I downloaded them from some random place. I've preordered the lyric book and although it comes with the album, I'll buy the CD version anyway, so to illegally download the tracks does not bother me one bit hahah.

2 minutes ago, Rai93mp said:

Neither did I, I only received Bang Bang, so I downloaded them from some random place. I've preordered the lyric book and although it comes with the album, I'll buy the CD version anyway, so to illegally download the tracks does not bother me one bit hahah.

It wouldn't bother me either except for the drop in quality... I don't want to rip it from youtube, because the quality from a direct download would be higher, I suspect.

18 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

I was debating whether or not I wanted to post this yesterday, but you other people sharing your (beautiful!) stories have convinced me.

This song hit me as hard as it did because I nearly lost my fiance to the same addictions as Billie. I can still hear the doctor saying he had three weeks to live and I was constantly expecting to wake up to the news that he wasn't around anymore. Everyone told me to get out because nothing would change and I'd be a young widow but I ignored them all and it was hard, but so worth it because I eventually got to see the most beautiful recovery. I went from knowing he didn't even want to be alive to hearing him say for the first time that he wanted to live, that life is beautiful and that he was so wrong to have ever thought otherwise. I thought I was going to lose him again when he got cancer as a result of the substance abuse but he was so strong going through all the surgeries and he's OK. I know he was truly "scared to death to live" but he did live. Now he smiles instead of sulking, he wants to go back to school, he does phone service for NA and saves the lives of other people like him.

It's hard to articulate quite how each line touches me, but I see him in every line and I just start sobbing when I hear "my head's above the rain and roses / making my way to you", because I don't think it had truly sunk in that I'm not going to lose him until I heard that. I'd bottled up more angst and hurt than I even knew for years and finally got it out of my system last night thanks to this song.

I am so going to break down when I hear this live. Here ends my gushing!

I'm honestly so happy for you that he's  still alive and with you. These things are the most important in life.

Just now, Joe K said:

I'm honestly so happy for you that he's  still alive and with you. These things are the most important in life.

Thanks. Me too. :) I'm so sorry it didn't work out that way with your dad. But I'm so glad this song helped you feel better.

1 minute ago, Maria Gloria said:

Thanks. Me too. :) I'm so sorry it didn't work out that way with your dad. But I'm so glad this song helped you feel better.

Yeah, but you know life goes on and is beautiful! Let's cherish the hello out of it :) 

36 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

LOL. Part of me is kinda curious to hear what he thought, but the bigger part doesn't really give a shit tbh :P 

27 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

There's no way they'll avoid playing this live. They seemed really proud and psyched for this song to be released. And as the third song released, that indicates to me that they want people to learn it before the concerts start.

I agree. Tre said in that radio interview the other day that he was really digging the song too.

37 minutes ago, asiegrist said:

So I really really like this song, I've listed to it a ton already and I love the passion in Billie's voice. That said, I feel like this song is pretty "cookie cutter" and most of the album was somewhat intended to be more favorable to the masses and mainstream radio. One striking thing about the album is there's what, one song with swearing? So maybe Billie has cleaned it up a bit just for that fact. I think the lack of success of the trilogy really has made them want to crank out an album that puts them back in the limelight...I say that and I'm a big fan of the trilogy.  I really like bang bang, revolution radio is alright, and now we have this song and I'm sure I'll like the whole album it's just all this is in the back of my mind when I say that.

Keep in mind that Dookie only had one song with swearing as well. They don't need to swear to make good music. Songs like Welcome to Paradise and WMUWSE are songs that are on both sides of the spectrum, one being fast and punk, and the other being slow and heartfelt, and neither of them have swearing. They also ended up being very good songs, even without profanity

God I feel like such a loser but I've been listening to this song for a few times now and singing along to the lyric video and on my last round I started fucking sobbing while singing. Not the typical "oh this song is so emotional so I say I'm crying when I really don't", I'm honest to God sobbing and "barely keeping it together" because the lyrics just now completely got to me. I'm an easy crier when watching movies but I never actually cry when listening to music.

I think that is the ONLY song I've ever cried to, except for WMUWSE (ONCE and not to this extent). I just got to the line "I dodged a bullet and walked across a land mine - I'm still alive" when everything just broke down because I realized that he REALLY dodged a bullet. With the interview he did lately and admitted how less he cared back then if he lived or died and how close he was to actually dying - the thought still heavily disturbs me. 

And now he sings "I'm still alive" and "I'm still breathing" over and over again as if to reassure himself and me and everyone of us that he is still there. That we're not losing him. 

I just need a fucking moment.

1 hour ago, Private Ale. said:

Wow, congratulations! Crying in GD concert is not a big deal cause everyone is a fam:lol:  so happy you didn't give up. 

Yeah, I figured I'm with family so no one would judge me since everyone else will probably do the same. I remember when I saw them in Nashville, I was next to this guy that was clearly dragged to this concert by his g/f. Here I am going crazy and I would look over to him to see him with this expression

:mellow: the entire time until they played stuff from Dookie then he was :dance::runaround:

When Billie's writing is at its best, he uses cursing for optimal impact, not for the sake of cursing—American Idiot comes to mind as being a song that really effectively uses strong language. So I'm glad it's seemingly minimal on this album. 

Don't have much to add to all the personal experiences and emotions posted here- this one is so packed with emotion it takes your breath away. 

I am just happy that Lazy Bones had a happy ending after all. They went through the shit and made it out alive. They're clearly grateful, and it's safe to say we feel the same way. 

1 hour ago, Harry Potter. said:

I bet The Needle Drop will feature this in his "worst tracks of the week" segment.

He's going to shit all over it

5 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

And now he sings "I'm still alive" and "I'm still breathing" over and over again as if to reassure himself and me and everyone of us that he is still there. That we're not losing him. 

I just need a fucking moment.

I'm a worrier by nature and adoring someone as much as I adore him, of course I wonder from time to time if he's on track and if he's alright. It's easy to get concerned when you're so far away from the situation, even if it's not your business (his health is nowhere near my business, but it doesn't stop me from caring). This song really did something to me, though. It really comforted me and drove home that it's going to be alright—that things are solid and I need to not worry so much. Instead, I need to appreciate how beautiful it is that he's here, that I'm here, that we're all here together to enjoy this period. I didn't realize how much I needed that reassurance until I got it, and I'm grateful to him for providing that.

I think what's especially comforting about this song is that it's not sugarcoating or making it seem like everything is hunky dory. Life is tough, and sometimes you're struggling just to stay afloat. But if you can make it out of those tough spots, you'll come out the other side feeling luckier than ever to have this life. As Billie said a few times on the last tour—life ain't pretty, but it sure is beautiful.

My favorite thing about this song compared to the others: It's letting people feel free enough to talk to strangers on a forum about their shortcomings in life and how the song inspires them

Archived