07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

Just now, crock6000 said:

Brain Stew is one of the songs that I cannot get sick of.  It's just so good live and as a former tweaker I can completely relate to every lyric.  That song is about amphetamines and nothing else. I'll be curious to see if clean Billie plays that song.  Prince cut out like half of his discography when he was born again and it sucked because a lot of his good stuff live was dirty as fuck but he was like some Jehova's witness or something.  He would tease songs like Nicky and shit but he wouldn't play them because he wouldn't curse on stage anymore.  The guy that wrote "You Sexy Motherfucker" and "Get Off".

And by the way, his drug overdose wasn't from recreational drug use.  It was an accidental OD from take phentanyl that was labeled as oxycodone which he was taking for the hip replacement that his stupid religion wouldn't let him get.

As for Billie, Brain Stew could still get played because it's not like the song is glorifying doing it, and in fact is all about the fall out of a night of partying and the shitty part of it.  When I was first getting over my addiction to uppers, often I would listen to Brain Stew because it so puts you in that place that if you ever did party that way, you know about.  He describes it so well.  That horrible feeling of being done with the drug when it aint done with you. 

Back on topic, I recognize it as pop but i have dug it.

Billie's already played it clean! There is no way he wouldn't play Brain Stew, it's classic. And also amazing live, so.

Second bit in bold - basically me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JoshDaveJones said:

"Is this the new One Direction single?"
"No no, this is Green Day."

"what?"

Has literally anyone actually said this though

30 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

Just wait to you guys hear this shit live.  You will love it all in full!

It took me about 15 years, maybe 20 to always remember that you don't really hear a Green Day song until it's live. Learned it as a kid when in 94 and have it has not ever been not true since.  That was a fucking awesome sentence.

Your rep is really getting up there now😝

4 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

What about the last two songs???

One of them is actually a big hit by the way.  Bang Bang got to #1 faster than any one of their other songs.  This is not a small thing.

Also, the speed at which the 4000 person venues sold out is indicative of how good the tour will be as far as ticket sales.  It's up to the boys to bring it.

Billie's return during the Tril tour, the first show at The Fox Theater didn't sell like that. It took several hours to sell that out.  Palladium sold out in minutes and then they released an allotment that they were holding for KROQ which is why that late in the day tickets came out, I have since learned.

i think bang bang and rev rad are both excellent songs and bang bang especially was a great choice for a lead single, but as good as they are i really just wasn't expecting anything on this album to blow up the way anything off ai or 21 guns did. i feel like still breathing for sure has the potential to though. 

i don't mean that green day aren't popular at all, they obviously are, but i definitely feel like (among my age group anyway, people in their mid-late 20s) there's really almost a stigma of green day being uncool? or overrated? i don't really know how to explain it, except that it's very rare for me to meet someone outside of the internet who gives a shit what green day are doing. i work in a bar and i've been active in the local music scene since i was a teenager and nine times out of ten if i mention green day the reaction is either "wow, aren't they too old to be touring?" or "oh yeah, i loved them when i was 13!" i'm always trying to turn people on to their new stuff but it really feels like a lot of people are just biased against it, for whatever reason. i've really never understood it, especially because it seems like everyone i know loves blink 182 and green day are obviously vastly superior. 

anyway, i just really feel like still breathing will has the mass appeal to make people stop and actually listen to the song instead of automatically writing it off because it's green day. it's catchy as fuck and super honest and relatable without seeming like they're trying too hard. 

Just now, Scattered Wreck said:

Billie's vocals on Still Breathing are just fucking awesome.  That is all

I know - I've been imagining it in a sold out arena - so many feels. 

2 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

I would use the word "definitely" a little more judiciously.

Also, although it's subjective, I strongly disagree with you that the chorus is what makes it vintage Green Day.  I was actually thinking the opposite with the notable exception of the fade out of the music as Billie finishes the line, that is vintage Green Day.  The chorus to me sounds like Fall Out Boy or one of those other bands that I don't like at all but all my friends think I do because of Green Day.  The break is also Green Day(ish).  

As for the lyrics that everyone is in love with, maybe I am just getting jaded but I have been reading a lot of poetry lately and I love Billie's lyrics, always have but never found them to be particularly deep, just well placed and extremely raw and honest.  To give you an idea of the type of lyrics that Billie writes that i love the most, one of my favorite lyrics he ever wrote are "In the land of make believe they don't believe in me" - JOS.  Those kind of playful lyrics that say so much in so little time and make you think.  My heads above the roses and all that is too spelled out for my old blood but I absolutely love the song but not for many of the reasons you listed, but to each his own.  I am happy we both love it regardless! :)

So I gotta ask - have you heard the whole album.

On first listen I was a little meh about it but it grew on me. Can relate a lot to the lyrics. Yeah, the music is quite bland I guess but I don't expect every song they release to be amazing technically or be experimental. It's a solid, radio friendly song which will hopefully get the band back on the radar again and hopefully attract new fans. 

The lyric video was a little weird but got the message across, wasn't too keen on the 2D/3D looking models they used. The 3 skeletons just rotating at the end was a little odd?

I think it'll be amazing live though, especially with the 'woah-ohs' towards the end. It'd be nice if Billie incorporates it into the acoustic encore and does it solo. 

44 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:
  • Loving the anatomical imagery in the lyric video (though maybe that's just cos I'm a major anatomy nerd :P).  I wonder if the 'person' in the video intentionally has an increased white cell count in their blood, or if that's just down to the artistic representation.  Yet another amazing lyric video.  3/3.

I spotted a rare case of dextrocardia at 2:06 and a branch block! :P

I would prefer it to be in the main set with the whole band.  That's why I liked brutal love because all the guys were on stage. 

20 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

I would use the word "definitely" a little more judiciously.

I was using it more to emphasise my belief in the fact, rather than as a way of saying people couldn't disagree with it.  Sorry if that wasn't clear!

10 minutes ago, iltrenta said:

I spotted a rare case of dextrocardia at 2:06 and a branch block! :P

This video counts as revision :P 

I feel so connected to this song. Even if they are talking about different people's lives, you're able to relate to it. Even though it's not directed to the listener like 21 Guns, it's more like you are the person singing the song, just reassuring yourself that you're still alive. That's what is sounds like to me, anyway. 

2:35 - 2:56 chokes me up. I can just imagine it live, just that pause where there is refreshment in the air. Then BAM!

4 hours ago, BronniIsGod said:

I realise the words "traditional" and "real" are not synonymous, I used the word "traditional" in order to show that I am referring to the more typical/commonly-used range of instruments. Surely you've heard the words being used interchangeably before (be it nevertheless incorrect).

You seem pretentious because of your use of flowery language to mask you're really just itching to look for an argument for no reason at all.

The reason you're still going on about this was about your interpretation of my use of the word "real". Whatever it connotates, I did not mean to bring down any form of instrument or any genre of music. Hell, even I agree with some of the shit you're saying. I respectfully told you we have different tastes, but I guess the whole concept of differing opinions must've gone over your head.

That said, we're straying offtopic entirely, this argument based the connotation of a word is a waste of time.

Fair enough. On a messaging board such as this, where i've often times seen negative attitudes about other genres or methods of making music permeate, it's kind of hard to not see certain things in certain ways. 

I have no problem with differing opinions, but if there's one thing I dislike it's the dismissiveness of some people concerning things that they clearly have little knowledge of and/or don't understand. Not saying that's you, but I've seen it happen a few times on here. 

1 minute ago, crock6000 said:

Yeah, Billie writes inwardly even when he is talking about macro revolution.  I am not saying it's no relatable, indeed it is. I just find that his lyrics are usually, almost always written from his perspective.  This song especially I don't think at all is written with the thought that the listener is the person "singing the song". I think it's a pretty straight forward song about him dealing with his drug addiction. Nothing really under the covers here. Pretty out in the open and very obvious.  I think anyway.

I absolutely agree with you that Billie writes from the first person and this song is a great example of that.  However, just because he writes from a first person does not mean that others can't relate or feel touched by it.  Billie is not the only one to go through addiction, he is not the only one to go through a lose.  Alot of people can take his experiences and relate it to their own lives.  Also I think the lyrics of this song work so well because he is so straight forward.  It is: "I was fucked up and I'm still fucking here".  Which is why I think it is so relatable.  IT is so much easier to get through something if you know someone else has gone through something similar and survived.  There are strength in numbers.   

I just watched the lyric video and heard the song for the first time and I absolutely love it! The song is so honest and beautiful.  

1 hour ago, Teenage Lush said:

i don't mean that green day aren't popular at all, they obviously are, but i definitely feel like (among my age group anyway, people in their mid-late 20s) there's really almost a stigma of green day being uncool? or overrated? i don't really know how to explain it, except that it's very rare for me to meet someone outside of the internet who gives a shit what green day are doing. i work in a bar and i've been active in the local music scene since i was a teenager and nine times out of ten if i mention green day the reaction is either "wow, aren't they too old to be touring?" or "oh yeah, i loved them when i was 13!" i'm always trying to turn people on to their new stuff but it really feels like a lot of people are just biased against it, for whatever reason. i've really never understood it, especially because it seems like everyone i know loves blink 182 and green day are obviously vastly superior. 

I agree that GD has a certain stigma about them.  However, what I've noticed, at least amongst people I know, is that people in their mid to late 20's are generally the only people that love Blink.  Most people my age, or even a little younger have no clue who Blink is, yet alone like or dislike them.  Then kids my kids age either don't know who they are or don't like them.  But whether they like them or not, and there are alot of people that act the way you stated, most people know who GD is.  And that is a good thing 

I don't exactly know how to put other comments or replies in my comment, but I'm replying to crock6000.

Yeah, I do get what you're saying, how Billie is talking about what he had to deal with, its just that I took the lyrics as a way of a metaphor for something, from my own experiences. It's just really comforting to have a song like this when there's chaos and confusion going on in your life, and the music is able to distract you from it. I know I'm not really answering your reply, but Billie said kind of the same thing, and I agree with his meaning about the song and yours:

"I'd rather write something where my eyes are forward, not so much internal. I hope it makes people happy and creates a difference in some way, just by people recognizing themselves in the song."

Not in a literal sense, but I do recognise myself the song. Some of the words to me are spoken metaphorically and literal to some. Like the lyrics:

Are you scared to death to live
I've been running all my life

The song makes me happy that Billie has been able to battle all of this stuff that's being going on in his life, and has been able to push away and push forward through the struggles. He and the band have inspired millions, and I know it sounds cliche over a song that was released today or yesterday (depending on where you live), but it's just another one of those relatable, close and amazing Green Day songs that makes us feel connected and know that even though they may not know us, Billie, Mike and Tre are there for us. :)

11 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

You like Brutal Love too though! You and I just have very different tastes. I'd like an entire album of Bang Bang, tbh. :P

Reveal hidden contents

Confession: I cried the first (and only) time I heard Good Riddance live though.

Yes, but alot of people loved Brutal Love too.   I love Bang Bang too, but I definately would not want an entire album of it.  You like really fast paced music, and that is cool, I do too.  But I love all kinds of music.  If I listened to only really fast paced music all the time I would be bored.  One of the reasons I love this band is because no matter what I feel like listening too, there is usually a GD song that will fit my mood.  

I think I was just pointing out that I think more people think like me, the want to hear something different, a variety.  I could be very wrong though.

2 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

You basically just repeated me. Yes and yes. I said he writes about real things and real things are the most relatable.

A dude writing a song dealing with his drug addiction and recovery is much more relatable than someone writing about a penticorn.

But darling, you said that you didn't understand how people can relate to the song since he writes in the first person.  OR maybe I misunderstood you.

I guess again it's all subjective, but I think this song is very relatable and also not restricted to being about addiction, or even Billie himself. It is about him and we all know his situation so we're seeing that, but it's always possible to see yourself in others or to interpret things differently, like Good Riddance has become a graduation song even though Billie wrote it as a fuck you. It could be about getting through any hard time and I guess if it resonates so much in that way, that's when you can be the person singing it.

Was going to quote Billie's "official" description of the song but saw someone already did. Maybe he just didn't want to disclose how personal it is publicly, but it seems he definitely intended for listeners to be able to relate to and see themselves in it, and for people not to only see it as being about him. That's a great quality, I know some musicians are the opposite and that's not a good way to be because you can't control how people interpret art.

Lyrics video is awesome.   It tricked me though.  I thought that the skeleton was slowing becoming a fleshed out human being.  At first it's just a skeleton and then as the song progresses more organs are added, and finally, flesh and hair.    But then it never happened.  

I was thinking by the end of the song we'd have Billie Joe standing there where the skeleton once stood.   That would have been NICE.    Still, the video is good, the song is amazing and this album cycle is shaping up to be super duper.   

Can't help but wonder about the "real" singles though.   I know that musicians have been forced into releasing a bunch of stuff early on these days, but I wonder if these songs will get music videos later  or if possibly other songs will become singles.  Bang Bang is killing it for lead single but I'd rather the next music video be for Still Breathing than the title track.   Tried and true method:  Fast one, slow one, fast one, slow one, fast one.   

I really dug it. Haven't fully enjoyed an album in it's entirety since American Idiot. But boy oh boy am I excited for this. Bang Bang and Revolution Radio are stellar. And this song is solid. Really excited for Revolution Radio.

Archived