07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

1 minute ago, yodda said:

I have to disagree with this

loud, repetitive power chords does not equal a rock song

What's your definition of Rock? Because I think this is the basic misunderstanding here.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

@Second favourite son did you get the instant download - couldn't believe it when I did. 

I've not got mine :(  I'm writing an email to the store now, not gonna be patient anymore haha.

I've listened to the lyric video once, I'm gonna post my thoughts after a few more listens.  But I did cry (in a good way) on first listen so I have high hopes :P 

8 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

Who even the fuck cares? Alright, it's reminiscent of something a pop artist might write. But it's not like they've never written a pop song before. I don't actually care if it apparently sounds like Taylor Swift (lol) because it's still Billie Joe's voice, his lyrics, Mike and Tre's instruments (though I could have done with a little more bass tbh!)

You can't say it "sounds like everyone else" but then say you wish they'd sounded like a different artist. :P I know it might make your head explode but pop music isn't any more of an abomination than other genres.

I don't want Green Day to rip off anyone (they already rip off their own music enough [Static Age/Church on Sunday])

However, if they had to borrow or be inspired by any one genre post hardcore/noise might be a good fit for them.

Also Billie Joe barely sounds like himself here, Tre's drumming is sterile and I have still yet to hear Mike show off any of his new bass skills he apparently has been working on.

I think mainstream pop music is an abomination

it's squeaky clean sounding, crafted to be marketable and it's formulaic bullshit. And that's all I can think of with this song.

4 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

I've not got mine :(  I'm writing an email to the store now, not gonna be patient anymore haha.

I've listened to the lyric video once, I'm gonna post my thoughts after a few more listens.  But I did cry (in a good way) on first listen so I have high hopes :P 

Are you in Europe? Cause I didn't get both the RR and the SB download :( If you figure out a way to have them let me know.

6 minutes ago, yodda said:

I have to disagree with this

loud, repetitive power chords does not equal a rock song

It doesn't always equal a rock song, but in this case, and a vast number of others, it does.  Green Day have been using power chords very well for a very long time.  If they aren't rock now, they certainly weren't rock 12 years ago when they released AI.

4 minutes ago, yodda said:

I don't want Green Day to rip off anyone (they already rip off their own music enough [Static Age/Church on Sunday])

However, if they had to borrow or be inspired by any one genre post hardcore/noise might be a good fit for them.

Also Billie Joe barely sounds like himself here, Tre's drumming is sterile and I have still yet to hear Mike show off any of his new bass skills he apparently has been working on.

I really like post hardcore, but I just can't see Green Day pulling it off.  It's just not the right kind of music for them.  They could do it, but not well.  

Just now, Second favourite son said:

It doesn't always equal a rock song, but in this case, and a vast number of others, it does.  Green Day have been using power chords very well for a very long time.  If they aren't rock now, they certainly weren't rock 12 years ago when they released AI.

Songs like Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming are what make American Idiot more of a rock album to me.

Not knocking power chords at all 

And sure call Still Breathing a rock song, a pop song, a jazz song, whatever you want - still sucks a million dickbags.

5 minutes ago, J a c said:

Are you in Europe? Cause I didn't get both the RR and the SB download :( If you figure out a way to have them let me know.

Yep, I'm in the UK, which is part of the Europe store I think.

1 hour ago, Maria Gloria said:

I haven't had a download link for this or RevRad. Did the people who've had them preorder the CD book or the vinyl?

I didn't get those downloads either so I just illegally downloaded both. So I had to steal something that I purchased. The European store is pathetic, I just hope they remember to send my vinyl and book.

1 minute ago, Second favourite son said:

Yep, I'm in the UK, which is part of the Europe store I think.

I really don't understand why we're not getting these downloads. I wrote to them after the RR release and they just answered with a sort of automatic message saying that the record will be out in October. I don't see any legal issue that could explain this, I guess they're just lazy assholes. 

13 minutes ago, yodda said:

I think mainstream pop music is an abomination

it's squeaky clean sounding, crafted to be marketable and it's formulaic bullshit. And that's all I can think of with this song.

They're inspired by what they're inspired by. If this song is the direction Billie was taken in, then fine. I have no issue with that. I don't understand why people do?! Have your opinion on the song but it seems silly to me to try and say what they should have done or how they should approach the music they make. It is what it is.

Mainstream pop music can be shitty as a matter of opinion, but someone obviously likes it so whatever. Music is music. People have different tastes.
Most Green Day songs are clean sounding, marketable and formulaic. This is actually one of the times where they've branched out. And some like that and some don't. It's all cool.

Just saw the lyric video, love it! Really literal visual representations of lyrics in music videos amuse me so that kind of made it less poignant :lol:, but I was entertained by it. And aside from that it's cleverly done and I like the artwork.

I so love that they're doing all these awesome lyric videos just like Muse did last year (and loads of other acts I'm sure but they're the ones I noticed), hoped they would and I wasn't disappointed :D 

2 minutes ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

I love "my heads above the rain and roses" so much, that line always gets stuck in my head

It's my favorite one sonically as well! The only problem I have with that part is that that phrase absolutely calls for another rhyming phrase with the same rythm.

I'm getting the feeling that each new song these guys release is still better than the previous. Like God, right now my ranking is Still Breathing > Revolution Radio > Bang Bang without a doubt, and I was already blown away when Bang Bang came out. It's like they are hitting the nail on the head with this album, it's just what we (or most of us) have been waiting for for years now.

43 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

It doesn't sound like any particular one direction song, but at the beginning it sounds, stylistically, like it could be one of their songs.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing – they use catchy little guitar riffs in a lot of their songs.  At the beginning it sounds quite similar in style to 'One Thing', for example.  The big difference is at the chorus, where 1D go pop and Green Day very much go for rock. 

I guess there's a vague similarity, but not enough for me to really feel it sounds the same.

As much as I enjoy some lighthearted pop, this song is so intense lyrically and in Billie's vocals that it just can't be compared to a light pop song in any way, to me. Similarly I couldn't call it generic for that reason. But that's all subjective and that's fine.

17 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

I didn't get those downloads either so I just illegally downloaded both. So I had to steal something that I purchased. The European store is pathetic, I just hope they remember to send my vinyl and book.

Same :lol: They're ridiculous. I emailed them but I doubt they'll be helpful.

7 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

I guess there's a vague similarity, but not enough for me to really feel it sounds the same.

As much as I enjoy some lighthearted pop, this song is so intense lyrically and in Billie's vocals that it just can't be compared to a light pop song in any way, to me. Similarly I couldn't call it generic for that reason. But that's all subjective and that's fine.

Yeah, I don't think it's that similar at all either, but I can see why others might.

Listening on repeat now. My favourite lyrics:

"Just shine a light into the wreckage" - ugh this line. Asking for help, saying there's still life inside this shell of a body.
"My head's above the rain and roses" - people have mentioned this line already. He's not six feet under, he's above the ground.
"Are you scared to death to live?" - this is just such a fucking great line. And probably resonates with so many people.

This song is so hopeful and I think the lyrics are beautiful.

"I'm like a son that was raised without a father
I'm like a mother barely keeping it together"

Fuck, talk about raw and personal

Just now, crock6000 said:

Just wait to you guys hear this shit live.  You will love it all in full!

It took me about 15 years, maybe 20 that you don't really hear a Green Day song until it's live. Learned it as a kid when in 94 and have it has not ever been not true since.  That was a fucking awesome sentence.

I don't doubt that! Kind of related; when I bought my first Green Day album (American Idiot in early 06) I also bought BIAB. So I heard Longview, Brain Stew, Basket Case etc for the first time through BIAB. Listening to the studio versions after that was a trip! Brain Stew in particular took some getting used to because it's clean as fuck on the studio version.

This one's gonna be an emotional one live, pretty sure about that.

i really have a feeling this song could be a huge hit, and i haven't had that feeling about a new green day song in a looong time. 

So, my impressions of the song after 5-10 listens:

• I really like the intro.  Yes, it's different, definitely not standard Green Day.  On first listen I wasn't sure if I liked it, and if the whole song had continued that way I probably wouldn't have.  But it leads really nicely to the chorus and works very well with the song.
  • On first listen, I hated the bridge (stripped down bit).  It's still my least favourite part of the song, but it sounds much better when you know what's coming next.  The lead in to it isn't great, but the way it leads into the chorus is.
  • Loving the anatomical imagery in the lyric video (though maybe that's just cos I'm a major anatomy nerd :P).  I wonder if the 'person' in the video intentionally has an increased white cell count in their blood, or if that's just down to the artistic representation.  Yet another amazing lyric video.  3/3.
  • The lyrics are moving, personal, clear and make sense.  Best lyrics out of the revrad songs we've heard so far.  Not ashamed to say I have cried, and it is most definitely down to the lyrics.  Highlights include the entire 'I'm like a junkie' verse, 'my head's above the rain and roses' and 'as I walked out on the ledge, are you scared to death to live'.  
  • I can't come up with the words to quite describe how I feel about the 'walked out on a ledge' bridge.  I love it.  Lyrically awesome, musically awesome, all round awesome and my favourite part of the song.  The only way to improve it would be with a better lead-in to the stripped down bridge bit.
  • The chorus is what makes this a Green Day song.  The first chorus provides a great contrast with the verse, and the instrumental pause right before it really helps to create the 'launching into it' feeling.  There could be a bit more depth to it, a little more bass (frequency, rather than instrument) coming through here wouldn't go amiss.
  • The bass (instrument) can't be heard that much, but when it can be it's really effective.  I especially like it during the second pre-chorus. It doesn't need to be overpowering to have an effect, and this is a perfect example.
  • If you want a rock song to chart on Top 40, this is the way to go.  I don't think it will chart anywhere near number 1 (I'm willing to be surprised :P), but it's definitely a much better effort than revrad or Bang Bang. 
  • The album is starting to come together nicely, and I'm very very excited for it

I listened to the song about 3 times yesterday and woke up with it stuck in my head this morning, so that's a good thing I guess. Let's put the video on repeat now :happy:

Archived