07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

Just now, veidar45 said:

Guys, sorry if you've already talked about this here (I can't seem to find it if you've had), but isn't the little guitar thingy between 2:45 and 3:00 from a Trilogy song or maybe even other GD/otherBand song? It feels soooo familiar, but I can't remember where I heard it.

Yeah it's The Forgotten. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't wanna listen to Still Breathing until the album comes out. But yesterday a friend visited and said: "Hey, did you hear, a new GD single leaked!" And it was already playing on his phone :-/ So, anyway, I only listened to it twice and read the lyrics because I want to keep some of the experience for the album release. But I'd like to share my first impression.

Usually, when a GD single comes out, I'm like "Oh, this sounds SO like GD, this is the typical GD sound." This time I thought: "OMG. This sounds so much NOT like GD." But still, I had the strong feeling that there is so much of the band in this song. It sounds foreign and familiar at the same time. And even more strange is the fact that there is so much of myself in this song. Still Breathing is basically the soundtrack of my life after struggling with a severe disease in 2012, it's almost shocking how accurate this song describes my situation. I highly doubt that there has ever been a GD song that sounded more grown up.

And to all of those who say that it's a pop song: Maybe you're right, but that shows even more of what this band is capable of, that they're still evolving, still growing, instead of standing still. Even if it's a pop song, it's a kick ass pop song that they slam in the faces of all the losers out there who make crappy pop songs and show them how it's really done. Still Breathing might not be a punk song, but it has a very strong punk attitude.

This. Live. Wow. I'm already shaking :D

Just now, Jenn. said:

I pre-ordered the CD book. I figure you should get it no matter what format you pre-ordered!

Ah I should definitely have had it then, I preordered that too. Better get onto them! :P 

I'm really surprised people like this song.

I've never actually disliked a Green Day song in this way before.

They've had songs that were written to appeal to the mainstream but at least they had some edge or interest to them.

This is the laziest pop song I've ever seen them put out and it's pretty shameful of a band who has the ability to produce genuinely heartfelt and emotional songs (Last night on Earth, Macy's Day Parade, Wake Me Up when September Ends).

It sounds like every ballad ever put out, with the same boring 4 chord progression and predictable verse chorus etc. structure.

5 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Yeah it's The Forgotten. :)

Yeees, thank you! I feel that it would've been better if Still Breathing came before The Forgotten, that way a small idea would've been evolved into a full fledged song for Twilight and not the opposite...I don't mind it that much, it would kinda always bug me from now on though :D

2 minutes ago, veidar45 said:

Yeees, thank you! I feel that it would've been better if Still Breathing came before The Forgotten, that way a small idea would've been evolved into a full fledged song for Twilight and not the opposite...I don't mind it that much, it would kinda always bug me from now on though :D

The Forgotten has not been written/recorded for Twilight. 

22 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

It's been said like a million times already - no one actually wrote the song with him. He borrowed a melody from another song (it's been posted here somewhere) and had to give credit to avoid any potential lawsuits. The people who wrote the other song didn't even know they were co-writers until recently. It was done with Waiting and Brutal Love too. Really no big deal, the lyrics are still all Billie.

"I'm reserving a little judgement until I know more"

And now I know more!

2 minutes ago, madafaka said:

"I'm reserving a little judgement until I know more"

And now I know more!

:ga:

27 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

He borrowed a melody from another song.

More like 500 other mainstream pop songs that sound exactly like this "Still Breathing" abomination.

Just now, yodda said:

More like 500 other mainstream pop songs that sound exactly like this "Still Breathing" abomination.

500? Wow, that's a lot of lawsuits Billie's about to fight off.

So people (not just here, but everywhere I'm seeing people talk about it) keep saying this sounds like One Direction and 5SOS and "every other shitty pop song" but none of them are providing examples. I'd be interested to hear what songs it supposedly sounds so much like?

1 hour ago, cabot_girl said:

I wonder if anybody can explain exactly how they "sample" a verse...is it really just using the same melody? It doesnt sound as if they have used "the struts" version and sampled it?? Am I totally wrong? And what did the production company do to co-write this song, when the struts also co-wrote it? Sorry about my english...hope you understand...

So the co-writers, who work under the name 'Red Triangle Productions', were the writers of the Stuts song 'Could have been me'.  Since the 'Still Breathing' has used the verse of the Struts song, it has been 'sampled'.  In EDM/Rap/DJ music, a sample is commonly the original recording, lifted and remixed a bit (eg. Dido's 'Thank You' in Eminem's 'Stan').  However, in rock music (not exclusively, but for the purposes of this argument let's keep it simple), a sample more commonly refers to a section of melody that has been copied, albeit in an original performance.  Co-writing credits are necessary to avoid lawsuits and massive loss of revenue.  Plus, it's the morally correct thing to credit your source of inspiration when a song is so heavily based on it.  So: Red Triangle Productions wrote the Struts song, Green Day sampled the Struts song, Red Triangle Productions got a co-writing credit for Still Breathing.  It being called a co-write credit is very misleading, but that's just a name and in reality it doesn't make this any less of a Green Day song.

Just now, Maria Gloria said:

So people (not just here, but everywhere I'm seeing people talk about it) keep saying this sounds like One Direction and 5SOS and "every other shitty pop song" but no one is providing examples. I'd be interested to hear what songs it supposedly sounds so much like?

There's only one song it (partially) sounds like, and it's credited, the rest is just people, a noisy minority amplified by the people complaining about them (I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the social networks' comments), bullshitting and trolling. 

6 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

So people (not just here, but everywhere I'm seeing people talk about it) keep saying this sounds like One Direction and 5SOS and "every other shitty pop song" but no one is providing examples. I'd be interested to hear what songs it supposedly sounds so much like?

Pink - Who Knew

a little bit of the The Calling - Wherever You Will Go 

It's not specifically any one song it's just the fact that it wreaks of lazy song writing

See this:

And I'm not condemning every song in that video  (When I Come Around is in there)

but there's just not anything in Still Breathing that's interesting to set it apart.

(and yes, I've checked, both the chorus and the verse fit the 4 chords)

Speaking of Pink, the verses remind me a bit of Please Don't Leave Me.

Songs do sound like other songs, a lot of the time. There are millions of artists out there and billions of songs. This song is different for Green Day and that's cool.

37 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

I haven't had a download link for this or RevRad. Did the people who've had them preorder the CD book or the vinyl?

I preordered cd & lyric book & that gets me the downloads. 

3 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

This song is different for Green Day and that's cool.

Even if them being different is sounding like everyone else?

I mean couldn't they rip off a sound like Fugazi's or Drive Like Jehu's?

instead of Taylor Swift and All-American Rejects?

I ended up staying up an additional five hours to finish Uncharted 4, and I come here, already emotionally uneasy, to find that there is now a lyrics video. There is no way I can sleep now. :lol: Dunno what to say about the video other than it's a new collection of colorful pictures and imagery that matches the lyrics. 

9 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

So people (not just here, but everywhere I'm seeing people talk about it) keep saying this sounds like One Direction and 5SOS and "every other shitty pop song" but none of them are providing examples. What songs does it supposedly sound so much like?

It doesn't sound like any particular one direction song, but at the beginning it sounds, stylistically, like it could be one of their songs.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing – they use catchy little guitar riffs in a lot of their songs.  At the beginning it sounds quite similar in style to 'One Thing', for example.  The big difference is at the chorus, where 1D go pop and Green Day very much go for rock.  

1 minute ago, 21guns&novacaine said:

Dunno what to say about the video other than it's a new collection of colorful pictures and imagery that matches the lyrics. 

Pretty much

Anyone else think the jack-o'-lantern were fucking stupid?

2 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

The big difference is at the chorus, where 1D go pop and Green Day very much go for rock.  

I have to disagree with this

loud, repetitive power chords does not equal a rock song

Just now, yodda said:

I have to disagree with this

loud, repetitive power chords does not equal a rock song

Define repetitive. Because you can only do so much with power chords.

3 minutes ago, yodda said:

Even if them being different is sounding like everyone else?

I mean couldn't they rip off a sound like Fugazi's or Drive Like Jehu's?

instead of Taylor Swift and All-American Rejects?

Who even the fuck cares? Alright, it's reminiscent of something a pop artist might write. But it's not like they've never written a pop song before. I don't actually care if it apparently sounds like Taylor Swift (lol) because it's still Billie Joe's voice, his lyrics, Mike and Tre's instruments (though I could have done with a little more bass tbh!)

You can't say it "sounds like everyone else" but then say you wish they'd sounded like a different artist. :P I know it might make your head explode but pop music isn't any more of an abomination than other genres.

Archived