07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cabot_girl said:

I wonder if anybody can explain exactly how they "sample" a verse...is it really just using the same melody? It doesnt sound as if they have used "the struts" version and sampled it?? Am I totally wrong? And what did the production company do to co-write this song, when the struts also co-wrote it? Sorry about my english...hope you understand...

If my song sounds like your song...and you wrote it before I did.  It's called ripping someone off (lawsuit) or giving your band credit so there is no lawsuit and you can just write your own lyrics and possibly blow away the original song.  Mr. and Mrs. Green Day did that.

8 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Lol how long did it take you to cave on Rev Rad?  The way I look at it is this:

Listen to the song now and either like/love it making Oct 7 take that much longer to get here for the rest.  Or listen now, don't like it, then being disappointed and not caring about the new album so much.  So I choose to wait, giving myself a more even road of excitement until the album arrives (if that makes sense?).

I tend to be disappointed in their singles when they first come out, but end up digging them in the context of the album.  Case in point, Oh Love.  I was crazy disappointed with it when it was first released.  But as the closer to Uno, I thought it fit perfect.  Same deal with Know Your Enemy.  Their earlier singles tended to be better as stand-alones for me (Minority, Geek Stink Breath, Hitchin a Ride).  Especially Minority.  I think that remains their best lead single to date.  Granted I was much younger then, but I like to think that's still the case.

Kill the DJ was also released prior to Uno.

I ignored Rev Radio for most of the day when it leaked but broke down when iTunes posted it and then like 30 mins after I bought it the pre order email came lol (I wasn't expecting it as it only listed bang bang as a download other than the album)

6 minutes ago, StuckWithInsomnia said:

This is sooooo radio rock lol, I still like it though, nice lyrics

Revolution Radio Rock

Just now, tresexy101 said:

If my song sounds like your song...and you wrote it before I did.  It's called ripping someone off (lawsuit) or giving your band credit so there is no lawsuit and you can just write your own lyrics and possibly blow away the original song.  Mr. and Mrs. Green Day did that.

Thanks, I know that...but do they just call it a "sample" if they just use someone elses melody? I wonder what exactly did the co-writers from that company do? Or are they affiliated with the struts?

17 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Kill the DJ was also released prior to Uno.

Oh right, forgot about that one. I don't know how, that one got an official music video too

8 hours ago, Alan86 said:

I bet you judge books by their cover :lol:

only joking they are pretty generic song names, thankfully I do still like the songs :)

I'm sure they will stand out more once we've heard the songs. Still breathing is much more memorable now that I've heard it, and I understand why that's the track title. Bet I still won't be able to remember what order they're in though :lol:

5 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Also, I know I'm late to the party, but to those who criticized the song for sounding like something Kelly Clarkson or P!nk could sing — fuck off, those talented ladies both have awesome sets of pipes. "Pop music" does not equal "bad music" by any means. And hell, P!nk started as a rapper. Just another example of how good artists can adapt and change as they continue their careers.

I don't think people are criticising pop music per se, or the fact that Green Day are trying "something new", but just the fact that this isn't a particularly good pop song, and doesn't sound any different to a load of other stuff in the charts right now.

I'd much rather listen to a good Pink song than this - especially from the period when Tim Armstrong of Rancid and Bang Bang video fame was co- writing with her!

2 minutes ago, tresexy101 said:

I'd just let the sampling thing go and ENJOY the song!!!  I love you Tresexy101.   I love you too.

haha

7 hours ago, CrimsonArk said:

Yeah, I imagine we do. Like how I don't think there's such a thing as "real" and "not real" instruments/music, because that concept doesn't make any sense on any conceivable level.

It just comes off as incredibly dismissive. 

Wow, you don't sound pretentious at all.

All I'm saying was that Green Day not using their typical  t r a d i t i o n a l  instruments (the word "real" seems to bother you) of guitar, bass & drums would be odd.

If you have something good to point out about a track, listing "at least its got real instruments" is not a valid argument, in my opinion.

This is the 33rd page of the thread.   The highest a Free Mason can go is the 33rd.  Illuminati... please tell Mr. and Mrs. Green Day to NOT release anymore songs.

Thank you.

But to keep on topic - radical song!!!

I listened to this song probably a thousand times and every time I love it more. 
By the way internet is such a tricky place, I saw more comments complaining about people "hating" the song than people actually disliking it. That's the definition of boomerang effect. Just chill out guys. 

Just now, BronniIsGod said:

Wow, you don't sound pretentious at all.

All I'm saying was that Green Day not using their typical  t r a d i t i o n a l  instruments (the word "real" seems to bother you) of guitar, bass & drums would be odd.

If you have something good to point out about a track, listing "at least its got real instruments" is not a valid argument, in my opinion.

Traditional and real aren't synonyms. Utilizing the term "real" in this case gives a derogatory connotation to the conversation at hand.

Also, how am I the one being pretentious when I displayed a lack of elitism concerning the idea of, as you now put it, "traditional" instruments versus more contemporary methods of musical composition? 

9 minutes ago, CrimsonArk said:

Traditional and real aren't synonyms. Utilizing the term "real" in this case gives a derogatory connotation to the conversation at hand.

Also, how am I the one being pretentious when I displayed a lack of elitism concerning the idea of, as you now put it, "traditional" instruments versus more contemporary methods of musical composition? 

Damn!! You're up bro

Brand new song and already feels nostalgic.  That chorus is just soaked in emotion, the way it's sung. In love with this. 

16 minutes ago, CrimsonArk said:

CrimsonArk - why can't we just enjoy the song and not confront others on their OPINIONS.  I feel like CNN and Charlotte, N.C. are a reality show right now.  Let's cum together and just remind ourselves what an awesome orgasm feels like.  Ahhh       Peace and Love.  Peace AND Love

Song still isn't out on iTunes yet (in the UK), though I got an email from IN saying it was ready to download.

Just woke up and put the song on replay right away. This is the best one of the three we got.

21 minutes ago, CrimsonArk said:

I realise the words "traditional" and "real" are not synonymous, I used the word "traditional" in order to show that I am referring to the more typical/commonly-used range of instruments. Surely you've heard the words being used interchangeably before (be it nevertheless incorrect).

You seem pretentious because of your use of flowery language to mask you're really just itching to look for an argument for no reason at all.

The reason you're still going on about this was about your interpretation of my use of the word "real". Whatever it connotates, I did not mean to bring down any form of instrument or any genre of music. Hell, even I agree with some of the shit you're saying. I respectfully told you we have different tastes, but I guess the whole concept of differing opinions must've gone over your head.

That said, we're straying offtopic entirely, this argument based the connotation of a word is a waste of time.

I definitely think they could have gone a little less polished "pop" on this song without it losing it's appeal, but damn I'm in love with it either way! This is objectively one of their best songs ever in terms of radio potential, up there with BoBD, 21 Guns and Good Riddance. Now they just need a good video, and some good media hype, and I think this one is in the back. I'm don't think the mainstream Billboard top 10 is out of the range of possibility.

I'm reserving a little judgement until I know more about that "co-written"-thing floating around the web. If they had some hired songwriters writing lyrics as well, I will definitely get disappointed. If they just did some work on production I can live with it. Ity does sound like Billie Joe's writing style, and I just can't imagine them "buying" songs.

1 minute ago, madafaka said:

I'm reserving a little judgement until I know more about that "co-written"-thing floating around the web. If they had some hired songwriters writing lyrics as well, I will definitely get disappointed. If they just did some work on production I can live with it. Ity does sound like Billie Joe's writing style, and I just can't imagine them "buying" songs.

It's been said like a million times already - no one actually wrote the song with him. He borrowed a melody from another song (it's been posted here somewhere) and had to give credit to avoid any potential lawsuits. The people who wrote the other song didn't even know they were co-writers until recently. It was done with Waiting and Brutal Love too. Really no big deal, the lyrics are still all Billie.

I haven't had a download link for this or RevRad. Did the people who've had them preorder the CD book or the vinyl?

Guys, sorry if you've already talked about this here (I can't seem to find it if you've had), but isn't the little guitar thingy between 2:45 and 3:00 from a Trilogy song or maybe even other GD/otherBand song? It feels soooo familiar, but I can't remember where I heard it.

4 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

I haven't had a download link for this or RevRad. Did the people who've had them preorder the CD book or the vinyl?

I pre-ordered the CD book. I figure you should get it no matter what format you pre-ordered!

Archived