07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

1 minute ago, Chris Durso said:

Im calm, don't mean to offend, i just dont get why people are hating on it? Its a good song, it has a warning feel to it, it also has a Waiting type feel to it

Im calm, don't mean to offend, i just dont get why people are hating on it? Its a good song, it has a warning feel to it, it also has a Waiting type feel to it

Yeah I love it - my reference was to head banging:happyhands: All good not hating.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Chris Durso said:

Agreed with that.

Alright....updating here with second impressions.  I need to remind myself to not listen to new Green Day music on crappy speakers at work with lots of distractions around.  I cranked it a few times in the car on the ride home, and.....omg.  There's one lyric that just nails the stuffing out of me: "I'm like a mother barely keeping it together."  You may not get that lyric unless you have kids of your own, or if you're just particularly observant of your own parents, when there these days that are just...well...drag-yourself-through-the-dirt survival.  Then there's that soaring, rise-above-it-all chorus that makes my voice crack if I try to sing it in Billie's register.  "I'm still breathing on my own" -- I'm out of the I.C.U. and I'm alright, you guys don't have to watch me so closely anymore because I'm recovering and things are going to be ok, and I'm making my way back to you, back to my home (I wonder if this is a reference to Adie, his family, and/or his bandmates as he was reflecting on his own crash-and-burn and recovery)?

The song is what's on the other side of Lazy Bones.  It's coming home to a warm embrace after a shit day at the office.  It's "great mac & cheese"-class comfort food for the "oh my God look at what I just survived".  It's the space to recharge after physical and emotional exhaustion.

Upgrading my first-impression rating from B+ to A.  Might go higher yet, we'll see.

I got the exact same feel about it being like a breath of clarity to his mind after being clean and looking back on the journey he's taken to get to this point. Lyrically, it's flooring. It gets you right in those fucking feels.

Lyrics are quite honest and I am really proud that Billie Joe finally is beating his demons up finally. But music, apart of terrible mastering of the itunes copies, is quite generic. The co-writing thing reveals how cheap was the working from their part. I feel somewhat ripped off, but whatever. There always be a song that screw things up :lol:

It feels like this song has come a full circle from RHS & lazy bones - can you imagine how great this song is going be in a sold out arena.  He should be proud & comfortable to sing this to us & with us.  So many fucking feels BJ.

1 hour ago, Kyle Serlington said:

you guys gunna do another podcast soon? this post reminded me that there's been 2 more songs out since bang bang, I think we're due for one! I think there's a lot to talk about for the next one

Yeah we'll do one, not sure when. We were planning on doing one this weekend after the first shows. We haven't scheduled a time to record though. Not sure if it'll be this week or next.

6 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

It feels like this song has come a full circle from RHS & lazy bones - can you imagine how great this song is going be in a sold out arena.  He should be proud & comfortable to sing this to us & with us.  So many fucking feels BJ.

Don't forget Brutal Love. "Hello stranger, I'm a disaster." That was also one of the most honest songs on that record, and so hard to hear BJ sing when the band got back to business on the 99 Revs tour.  If RevRad is the anthem for the masses, Still Breathing is going to be his own personal anthem.  Can't wait to scream it along with him.

Just now, Bastard of 1967 said:

Don't forget Brutal Love. "Hello stranger, I'm a disaster." That was also one of the most honest songs on that record, and so hard to hear BJ sing when the band got back to business on the 99 Revs tour.  If RevRad is the anthem for the masses, Still Breathing is going to be his own personal anthem.  Can't wait to scream it along with him.

Well Brutal Love was in  my top 5 - I don't think it is now.  

the more i listen to this, the more convinced i am i'm gonna cry if they play it when i see them. 

this song is giving me so many green day feelings :cry: 

Great, I'm crying again lol. Loved the video, I was crying from the start, but I fucking lost it when I saw the coffin. I hate you, Green Day <3

18 minutes ago, StuckWithDom said:

The song gives me the feels, all the body parts in the video give me the heebs. :lol: But seriously tho - the lyrical wordplay "still breathing on my own" evokes the "I'm finally off of life-support/I had way too close a call with death" theme that powers the song, and this is reflected clearly in the video.  That mannequin crashing down during the "I'm like a mother barely keeping it together" lyric almost made me cry.

Not to brag but I still haven't listened to Revolution Radio or Still Breathing and I'm not going to until the album comes out. It's tough, but I think I'll enjoy the experience more going in totally dark (with the exception of Bang Bang and the live version of Ordinary World).

The "breathing on my own" bit could also mean "Hey, I've been through horrible times and haven't died yet. I'm strong enough to get past whatever is going on in my life and come back to you."

It's impossible to put into words how proud this song makes me feel. It is in its own league.

I think it's amazing that we have a song like Bang Bang and then Still Breathing on the same record.

Archived