07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, StuckWithDom said:

Do you guys think we'll get a lyric video on Facebook soon?

Yes, in a few hours... At midnight in your local time you'll have access to the song in Spotify 

1 minute ago, Heather. said:

Yeah, and unlike say Miley or whoever, those two ladies can fucking SING.

P!nk in particular I have endless respect for.

P!nk is my woman crush forever and ever. :wub:

She's got an amazing voice and continues to reinvent herself, and I love that she doesn't fit the traditional mold of what a female pop star should look/act like. She does that insane aerial dancing during her performances and still refuses to lip sync, which is incredible. It also seems like she's really embraced the idea of being a role model for young girls. When I saw her live a few years ago she refused to swear during her show and mentioned how many little girls might be watching. Very sweet.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic love letter, but I do think it's still a relevant discussion because it shows that people shouldn't pigeonhole artists into close-minded boxes. Again, Still Breathing might not be my favorite Green Day song, but I appreciate its genuine lyrics and the band's willingness to try something a little more experimental (maybe not for music as a whole, but for them). It may be poppy, but poppy doesn't mean it's bad.

11 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Also, I know I'm late to the party, but to those who criticized the song for sounding like something Kelly Clarkson or P!nk could sing — fuck off, those talented ladies both have awesome sets of pipes. "Pop music" does not equal "bad music" by any means. And hell, P!nk started as a rapper. Just another example of how good artists can adapt and change as they continue their careers.

Yeah Alissa my comment on Pink wasn't a knock on her or pop music in general. I like Pink moderately and I enjoy a lot of pop music. I just didn't enjoy this song. I said the guitar tone sounds like Who Knew by Pink, but that wasn't a knock on her, just an observstion.

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Yeah Alissa my comment on Pink wasn't a knock on her or pop music in general. I like Pink moderately and I enjoy a lot of pop music. I just didn't enjoy this song. I said the guitar tone sounds like Who Knew by Pink, but that wasn't a knock on her, just an observstion.

No problem, I believe you! I had no idea who said it. Honestly as I was skimming through the past several pages my head starting spinning and the posts were blurring together, due to the weird dichotomy of the "it's terrible and the worst song they've ever done" and "I've been sobbing listening to it all day because its so perfect" posts. :lol:

13 minutes ago, StuckWithDom said:

Do you guys think we'll get a lyric video on Facebook soon?

Its killing me - way after midnight for us:happy:

I really like the song. I love how personal it is. I love how direct it is. The music is catchy. It's very poppy, but it's not bad. And every time Green Day does something that people feel is "too pop", it makes no difference at all. People bitched about Time of Your Life. People bitched about Waiting, people bitched about Wake Me Up. There's a real softness to this song, and it's a big contrast to the sound of Bang Bang. It's like the three songs we've heard so far are all very different flavors of the same thing. It's good. I like to see Green Day and Billie Joe trying to do shit that people aren't expecting them to. I wasn't expecting this song to sound anything like this and I've listened to it as often as I could today to soak it in. 

I love this song, it's inspiring to me! I do like the poppy feel of it. When my son arrived home from school today I played it and he immediately knew it was new Green Day. He doesn't like spoilers so he's going to wait until the release to listen. He's been a fan since birth (15 years!).  

"I'm like a mother barely keeping it together" 

That line resonates with me. Oh, I'm still alive.

Can't wait for them to perform this live in Chicago (if they ever reschedule us).  

I appreciate it actually better after a second listening session, maybe because I can stomach All Time Low-style pop punk. Yes, it is poppier, but it is still decisively Green Day, at least more than Nightlife or Lady Cobra ever were (sorry Seagull). I don't think it will ever be the best song of Revolution Radio, but most fans here would not ever consider BoBD to be better than St. Jimmy or 21 Guns to be better than Peacemaker. I firmly believe this is the poppiest song on the album. The moment I put the needle on the vinyl on the 7th I'll be proven wrong or right. Concerning the co-writing, I think this was just a legal precaution. Also, there's no reason to be upset about some people severely disliking this track. Know Your Enemy was polarizing upon its release, as was Time of Your Life, which wouldn't have the same cultural legacy as Basket Case or American Idiot if not for Seinfeld.

3 minutes ago, Andres said:

I really like the song. I love how personal it is. I love how direct it is. The music is catchy. It's very poppy, but it's not bad. And every time Green Day does something that people feel is "too pop", it makes no difference at all. People bitched about Time of Your Life. People bitched about Waiting, people bitched about Wake Me Up. There's a real softness to this song, and it's a big contrast to the sound of Bang Bang. It's like the three songs we've heard so far are all very different flavors of the same thing. It's good. I like to see Green Day and Billie Joe trying to do shit that people aren't expecting them to. I wasn't expecting this song to sound anything like this and I've listened to it as often as I could today to soak it in. 

This is why you are el Capo 

9 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Doesn't sound like anything Green Day has ever made, but not in a Nightlife/Kill the DJ experimental way

Yeah, except this one is good.

2 minutes ago, Jaymee!! said:

Excuse me Nightlife is bomb af

If you mean it bombed, then yes. :P

Just now, Jaymee!! said:

Excuse me Nightlife is bomb af

Nightlife is actually a very sinister song which is IMO the lyrical and metaphorical exemplification and expression of how Billie was losing control and giving in to his vices post-21CB. It was the musical nadir of the Trilogy and at the same time the absolute creative apex of how he could describe his loss of control. Hell, the whole party theme of Dos! and the fact that these songs are not randomly juxtaposed like those on Uno! and Tré! points to a deeper metaphorical meaning.

I like this song a lot more now than I did earlier today at school especially with my nicer at-home headphones and higher volume.

One thing I can't wrap my head around still is how this is Green Day right NOW. Not a previous album years ago, but them right now. It's really weird liking this new music so much from Green Day that didn't exist just a bit ago. Maybe that's because I really started listening to all their albums just after Tre came out

Just now, StuckWithDom said:

Can we never speak about Nightlife ever again? Thanks

I thought the breakdown to Nightlife was catchy as hell. I feel like the hate is just there because the rap. I like the instrumental a lot

Just now, Grinch said:

I thought the breakdown to Nightlife was catchy as hell. I feel like the hate is just there because the rap. I like the instrumental a lot

This is a Still Breathing discussion thread. Talk about other tunes in their own places. 

2 minutes ago, StuckWithDom said:

This is a Still Breathing discussion thread. Talk about other tunes in their own places. 

Sorry. You probably could have done a better job at addressing that by not making a totally useless post for not talking about Nightlife and instead talk about Still Breathing.

Anyways, I'm guessing this is the last song we're gonna hear until the album's release. 

Its just annoying when you're gifted with an incredible song, and on the same day, all people wanna talk about is Nightlife

Archived