07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

I appreciate the honest, personal lyrics but I'm not crazy about the music. I can only imagine that my initial reaction to the song was how most longtime fans felt the first time they heard Good Riddance — dafuq is this shit? Where's Green Day? :lol:

And now my reaction is similar to the first time I read everyone's raving reviews of Brutal Love — um, are we listening to the same song? :P 

A few listens later, I'll admit it's catchy and has the potential to do well on the radio, but it's my least favorite of the three singles (weeks later, all I want to do is still blare Bang Bang on repeat for hours!). I really want to hear them all in the context of the album though. I feel like the song has the potential to be more likeable that way. I wonder if the album will be more cohesive or all over the place, like Nimrod? I'm intrigued.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played this song again, and my neighbor came over and asked who that was I said Green Day's new song and they were like, I love it.  My neighbors totally hate me and love me, I play Green day all day!  LOL

This song hits me so hard on a personal level. I've probably listened to it several times through out the day and every single time, I would start crying. I went through the worst depression of my life four years ago, I gave up on myself, I would just take ambien to sleep constantly. I called into work eight days straight, stopped eating and lost 40 pounds in five weeks. I started drinking, started abusing drugs and just gave up on life. These lyrics brought back so many memories for me. Im so thankful I'm still here, but I know if they play this live on Monday I'm going to be a sobbing mess. I absolutely hate crying in public too but I know the emotions of not only seeing my favorite band live, but hearing this for the first time would be one incredible experience. 

In other news I found out that I'm having a baby and my fiance got me this for my birthday on the 16th

gk7qosN.jpg

55 minutes ago, J a c said:

Everything is real, even if some philosopher may not agree with you, but some instruments are physical, others are digital, and I think this is his point. Contemporary music, even rock (see Muse), is often recorded through digital instruments, and IMHO this kinda sucks, but obviously someone else could love this trend and he would be absolutely entitled to his opinion. At the same time I think someone can be happy to see a song composed through physical instruments and with a rock style climbing the charts/being appreciated by the general public. 

Why does it suck though? You still have to have a firm grasp of things such as chord progressions and song compositions, the things that actually take creative talent.

Anyone can learn to play the guitar, drums or bass. That's not much in the way of an impressive feat if you have no idea how to actually put them to use. 

It's ultimately irrelevant and such a bizarre thing to have any level of hang ups about. 

2 minutes ago, stefand11 said:

"are you scared to death to live"...what a great line 

This part really got to me. Like especially the line before "As I walked out on the ledge" it's just so powerful

So I LOVE this song.  For those of you who also love it, is a part of you a little sad that Billie didn't full write it?  Like, it's so great, I want to give him complete credit for it, and it makes me sad that we can't. I'm guessing he independently wrote the lyrics (that's a total guess, but it would make sense to me, and I very much hope it's true), and the other writer(s) would just be involved in the poppy sound.

Also, what are the chances we'll ever find out for sure who wrote what?  Should it matter?  Because it does to me.  I still love this song, but I can't be as completely proud of Green Day as I normally would be when I hear something awesome.

The only other song to give me the chills was X-Kid. I still remember to this day hearing the drum coming in for the first time when Billie sings "I fell in love". Definitely experiencing that in this song.

The more I listen to it the more I enjoy it, but I'm still feeling Bang Bang the most. This is nice and mellow and heavy but in a comforting way, if such a thing is possible?

This song is seriously gonna be phenomenal live, like I'm going to cry for reals.

London here I come.

12 minutes ago, Heather. said:

So I LOVE this song.  For those of you who also love it, is a part of you a little sad that Billie didn't full write it?  Like, it's so great, I want to give him complete credit for it, and it makes me sad that we can't. I'm guessing he independently wrote the lyrics (that's a total guess, but it would make sense to me, and I very much hope it's true), and the other writer(s) would just be involved in the poppy sound.

Also, what are the chances we'll ever find out for sure who wrote what?  Should it matter?  Because it does to me.  I still love this song, but I can't be as completely proud of Green Day as I normally would be when I hear something awesome.

He just sampled a melody.  Apparently the company didn't even know he sampled something.  

The line that gets me is My heads above the rain and roses. 

26 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I appreciate the honest, personal lyrics but I'm not crazy about the music. I can only imagine that my initial reaction to the song was how most longtime fans felt the first time they heard Good Riddance — dafuq is this shit? Where's Green Day? :lol:

I cried teh first time I heard Good Riddance

The heck happened to the full version GDA had up?  I was listening to it and my browser crashed....now its gone and all we have is a preview.   Guess GDA decided not to take it down.  

1 minute ago, thatdude03 said:

The heck happened to the full version GDA had up?  I was listening to it and my browser crashed....now its gone and all we have is a preview.   Guess GDA decided not to take it down.  

It was removed off of youtube but if you google the song, you can find it

6 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I cried teh first time I heard Good Riddance

You like Brutal Love too though! You and I just have very different tastes. I'd like an entire album of Bang Bang, tbh. :P

Confession: I cried the first (and only) time I heard Good Riddance live though.

The song was taken off YouTube.

Ive listened to the songs back to back in order.  So far its a very promising album from these tracks and ordinary world.  I'd say for personal, still breathing is the top.  They way its going there is something for everyone to be able to relate on on this album more so than the triple album if that says anything.  I'm just looking forward to next week since it seems that is more than likely when the album will leak at least until I receive my official in the mail...yes sir.

5 minutes ago, ZSebs said:

It was removed off of youtube but if you google the song, you can find it

ahhaha way it goes with a leak all it takes is one and then just like roaches it multiplies very quickly.

16 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

He just sampled a melody.  Apparently the company didn't even know he sampled something.  

The line that gets me is My heads above the rain and roses. 

27 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

Billie wrote the song himself, he just sampled a melody from the struts.

Thanks guys.  Where'd you get that information?  Also, is this sort of like how Brutal Love is also by Sam Cooke? Lol.. like when you steal something close enough that you feel compelled to give them credit for legal purposes?

Well, I caved and listened to it. I  can definitely see why people are saying it is "poppy " . I  don't mind that because that means I will get to hear it 47 times a day on the pop station they play at work. And that will make me happy because it's wonderful. Billie's vocals are great and so heart-felt. Can't wait to sing along  if they ever play anywhere near me.

20 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

You like Brutal Love too though! You and I just have very different tastes. I'd like an entire album of Bang Bang, tbh. :P

Hide contents

Confession: I cried the first (and only) time I heard Good Riddance live though.

The song was taken off YouTube.

I cried de whole concert from Song of the Century to Good Riddance twice in 2010 (10/22 & 10/24). 

13 minutes ago, Heather. said:

Thanks guys.  Where'd you get that information?  Also, is this sort of like how Brutal Love is also by Sam Cooke? Lol.. like when you steal something close enough that you feel compelled to give them credit for legal purposes?

Exactly like Brutal Love. One of the writers credited tweeted about it.

Also, I know I'm late to the party, but to those who criticized the song for sounding like something Kelly Clarkson or P!nk could sing — fuck off, those talented ladies both have awesome sets of pipes. "Pop music" does not equal "bad music" by any means. And hell, P!nk started as a rapper. Just another example of how good artists can adapt and change as they continue their careers.

1 minute ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Also, I know I'm late to the party, but to those who criticized the song for sounding like something Kelly Clarkson or P!nk could sing — fuck off, those talented ladies both have awesome sets of pipes. "Pop music" does not equal "bad music" by any means. And hell, P!nk started as a rapper. Just another example of how good artists can adapt and change as they continue their careers.

Yeah, and unlike say Miley or whoever, those two ladies can fucking SING.

P!nk in particular I have endless respect for.

Archived