07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

Just now, Second favourite son said:

Ooh I'm not a big struts fan, but I love this song (especially the beginning/first verse).  Still not listened to Still Breathing as I'm waiting for it to drop officially, are the two songs very similar or is the credit literally just there to avoid a lawsuit?

It's sort of similar, I think it just has a similar overall sound as a song, the only thing is the build up to the chorus but I think it' mostly to avid a lawsuit.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

Who deleted my quote saying the important people will be angry hahaha? You soft bunch fair play

I did, since the original post which I'd hidden was quoted in there so everyone could see it anyway :P It was nothing you did!

Yeah, just a reminder not to ask for or share download links for the song please.

I like the song.
The lyrics are great but the music is maybe too generic sometimes.

Still one good track though.

2 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Ooh I'm not a big struts fan, but I love this song (especially the beginning/first verse).  Still not listened to Still Breathing as I'm waiting for it to drop officially, are the two songs very similar or is the credit literally just there to avoid a lawsuit?

They're not real similar in my opinion, but the first few lines of Still Breathing reminded me of The Struts song immediately. I definitely see why they had to give credit. If you love the beginning/first verse, you'll probably love Still Breathing :) 

4 minutes ago, J a c said:

Let's say that if you love the beginning/first verse of the song you'll love Still Breathing :P 

4 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

It's sort of similar, I think it just has a similar overall sound as a song, the only thing is the build up to the chorus but I think it' mostly to avid a lawsuit.

2 minutes ago, spider man. said:

They're not real similar in my opinion, but the first few lines of Still Breathing reminded me of The Struts song immediately. I definitely see why they had to give credit. If you love the beginning/first verse, you'll probably love Still Breathing :) 

I'm very excited now!

7 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

The co-writing credit is because Green Day have 'sampled' a song that these guys have written (heard & liked the song, so taken a key element (most likely melody) and then written their own song around it.  It's a legal requirement under copyright law that the original source of inspiration is properly credited, otherwise it could go to a court case (think blurred lines) and the original writers could be entitled to up to 100% of the revenue from Green Day's song, even though, for all intents and purposes, it is very much personal to Green Day and original in its own right.  The 'co-writers' have likely never met the band, let alone written it together, but it's only right that they receive credit for their role in inspiring the song.  Green Day has written like this many times before (Brutal Love, Waiting etc.). 

Thanks for clarifying this.

Also for those of you who may or may not have thought I was accusing the band of selling out, it may have been the way I worded it but that was not my intention.

I was just saying that as far as music goes it sounds like was made to be a radio friendly song which is going to be catchy to most people and stay inside their heads. This does not have to be a negative thing.

If there was a time Green Day ever sold out it was in the Dookie days for signing onto a major label, but in my opinion the music stayed true to the band's style and they were only trying to reach out to more people.

Just now, Scattered Wreck said:

Of course, he has good taste

Still haven't listened to Still Breathing so this is all Im going on.

17 minutes ago, .Holly said:

My only complaint is that most of the song titles are so boring/samey that I couldn't remember where in the album this was. Somewhere now/say goodbye/still breathing and forever now are just so generic. I spent the last 3 hours thinking this was the opening track. 

I bet you judge books by their cover :lol:

only joking they are pretty generic song names, thankfully I do still like the songs :)

The melody of the Still Breathing's main verses is a sample of the first verse of the Struts' song (honestly I can't say if it is something intentional or not), nothing less, nothing more. For sure nothing to be sad, SB  is much more than just that melody, and in my opinion a much better song than "Could have been me" :P 

this song rules! i dont understand why some people dislike it, it is indeed different, nothing like revrad or bang bang, but its still GD and I'm sure this song will reach even non-GD listeners again if they promote it well enough

its one of billies most emotional songs / has a very emotional meaning, and I guess many people will refer to it

it gets kinda repetitive in the end, but its a simple song, so im fine with this, we still got 11 other songs with revrad

after the first listen I would rate this song a 8.5 / 10

Edit: the song is available in german spotify :)

I think it has a 21 Guns vibe. This will be the song that will conect all kind of Green Day fans during shows. And the way Billie sings... he's really feeling it.

RevRad is turning awesome.

My favorite part so far is the bridge and the part that follows it, although i could have done without the echoing "woahs".

Just now, ZSebs said:

I love this song. Love. It. Love it.

Is it making its way, its way, its way to you? :D 

Just now, RisingRedWolf said:

I found a video of the song uploaded by Reprise in good quality on youtube by googling the song in case you are having trouble finding it.

Thanks - but Im a bit weird - I like to listen when its official - dam my principles.

1 minute ago, Tinkle said:

Thanks - but Im a bit weird - I like to listen when its official - dam my principles.

I was like that when the Trilogy came out, now I'm just too old to care.

The song is officially available on the Danish Spotify, so I guess all around Europe ;) 

1 hour ago, BronniIsGod said:

I just think that saying the song is good just because it has the bare minimum a song really needs, is quite ridiculous. Just by looking at your Death Grips profile picture I can tell we have differing opinions on what qualifies as "real" instruments/music. I'll admit, I'm not a musical guru or anything, but I really believe this topic relies on a person's subjective point of view.

Whatever the case may be, you gotta admit a punk/alternative band not using "real"/typical instruments (bass, guitar and drums) would be pretty odd.

Yeah, I imagine we do. Like how I don't think there's such a thing as "real" and "not real" instruments/music, because that concept doesn't make any sense on any conceivable level.

It just comes off as incredibly dismissive. 

9 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Oh God. Only 30 seconds but it sounds like when a boyband tries to go rock. Reminds me of mid 2000's Backstreet Boys. I don't even want to hear the rest. Damn. 

fuck off then 

4 minutes ago, Armstr0ng. said:

I was like that when the Trilogy came out, now I'm just too old to care.

Me thinks Im older:lol:

Archived