07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

Seems like this is the most disliked song of 3 songs released so far. I guess I kind of understand why; it doesn't really sound like much of their other stuff. I still like it though :) 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I'm like a child looking off in the horizon
I'm like an ambulance that's turning on the sirens
Oh, I'm still alive
I'm like a soldier coming home for the first time
I dodged a bullet and I walked across a landmind
Oh, I'm still alive

Am I bleeding? Am I bleeding from the storm?
Just shine a line into the wreckage, so far away, away
Cause I'm still breathing
Cause I'm still breathing on my own
My head's above the rain and roses
Making my way, my way
Making my way, my way
My way to you

I'm like a junkie tying off for the last time
I'm like a loser that's betting on his last dime
Oh, I'm still alive
I'm like a son that was raised without a father
I'm like a mother barely keeping it together
Oh, I'm still alive

Am I bleeding? Am I bleeding from the storm?
Just shine a line into the wreckage, so far away, away

Making my way, my way
Making my way, my way, my way...

As I walked out on the ledge
Are you scared to dance to live?
I been running all my life
Just to find a home that's for the restless
And the truth that's in the message
Making my way, away, away

Making my way, my way
Making my way, my way, my way...
Making my way, my way
My way to you

Thanks for this, but is it not "shine a light" , possibly a typo?

At first I totally got the ew this is kind of poppy feel but when I kept listening it felt so raw and honest. It's a great song and I think it would do well on the radio but I definetely don't think when they made it was the intention they had. I would have to say Bang Bang is still my favorite then this then Revolution Radio. 

18 minutes ago, xXRustyJamesXx said:

The Co-writer thing kind of takes down my enthusiasm because not knowing what is Billies content freaks me out.

My way - My way. i guess, excluding this, everything's written by Billie!

(But i won't believe that co-writer thing, until Billie officially says that)

Wow. This is very different from bang bang. I was honestly scared when i saw people writing about how it is too poppy. Even though i think it might be slightly too poppy, I dont really have a problem with it and i do really like the emotion in the song. Not what i expected but i think this is a really uplifting track. 

I mean I haven't heard it yet, but this almost feels like a compilation album or something that highlights all of the sounds of their career. Seems like it has really bad flow. I mean I really don't even get how Rev Radio works right after Bang Bang

It takes a lot for me to cry.

This song is the first time I've ever cried to a song on the first listen. This song is so powerful that I can't help but say that it's one of my favorite songs they've ever put out already. As soon as Billie uttered the first two lines I knew I was about to be hit hard. He eloquently wrapped 8 different people's lives (including his) into one song. Like many people on here who fell in love with Green Day, it happened to me because listening to their music gave me the feeling that we're not alone. It's ok to be fucked up and everyone is in some way. So many people are good at hiding that or containing that and I wasn't one of those people.

I've been through a lot of shit growing up and last year I was probably in the biggest rut I've ever been in. I kept fighting through depression and it wasn't until 5-6 months ago that I've been the happiest I've ever. I still have a fair share of problems to work through but I've never let them win. I'm still breathing and my head's above the rain and roses.

What a fucking beautiful song.

On my first two listens, I agreed with everyone who disliked it.  Upon my third listen, it started to grow on me.  I quite like it now.  To me, it's better than Revolution Radio, but Bang Bang is still my favorite song released so far. 

6 minutes ago, LostCanadianGoose said:

This song is the first time I've ever cried to a song on the first listen. This song is so powerful that I can't help but say that it's one of my favorite songs they've ever put out already. As soon as Billie uttered the first two lines I knew I was about to be hit hard. He eloquently wrapped 8 different people's lives (including his) into one song. Like many people on here who fell in love with Green Day, it happened to me because listening to their music gave me the feeling that we're not alone. It's ok to be fucked up and everyone is in some way. So many people are good at hiding that or containing that and I wasn't one of those people.

I've been through a lot of shit growing up and last year I was probably in the biggest rut I've ever been in. I kept fighting through depression and it wasn't until 5-6 months ago that I've been the happiest I've ever. I still have a fair share of problems to work through but I've never let them win. I'm still breathing and my head's above the rain and roses.

Here comes the Drama Queen

If I ever hit the gym this will be my  song. The chorus will give me that extra energy after 5 min on the treadmill. :P

34 minutes ago, xXRustyJamesXx said:

in my opinion the song looses a lot of felling and soul in the verse because of the tempo

should have been a bit slower... Still diggin the verse, the chorus as well as the bridge are okay but nothing too special

The lyrics are great and I love that there's a different feel to this song. 

The Co-writer thing kind of takes down my enthusiasm because not knowing what is Billies content freaks me out.

What I am missing in this song are some personality and some spicy guitar bits or some different instruments.

This song still might grow on me so let's see.

I'd say it's a 6.5/10

I wouldn't worry about that. Waiting and Brutal Love have other co-writer credits only because Billie borrowed a little melody from other songs. I would be super surprised if someone literally co-wrote the song with him, sounds like it's all him to me.

28 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

It TOTALLY has BOBD vibes to me. 

I get that too. And I adore BOBD. This one isn't quite so good to me but it might grow on me with more listens. 

11 minutes ago, LostCanadianGoose said:

That is beautiful, thank you for sharing. :) And I'm really glad this song seems to be helping people, negative opinion on the song or not. That makes it all worthwhile.

6 minutes ago, Asik said:

Here comes the Drama Queen

Well you can piss off. :tired: 

1 minute ago, Mara Garcia Green Day said:

Don't be a jerk 

Hey let them be a jerk, these are the kinds of people who don't go far in life.

This song is poppy but Green Day has been writing pop songs since the beginning. Songs like No One Knows, Good Riddance, Macy's Day, Wake Me Up, Stay the Night, and Stray Heart all have either been big radio hits or at least sound like they could have been. 

I like this song. My only problem with it is that it, IMO, it isn't as interesting as the other tracks I mentioned.

Also, I consider myself an older fan since I've been listening for around 21 years :cool:

Personally love it, different but so good. The pop vibe actually just makes it something unique. It's the first song of the four we've heard that actually gave me goosebumps

Archived