07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

2 minutes ago, Clayish said:

... it's that this band is past its prime.

if being past your prime means still achieving #1 singles...sign my ass up

where can I can some of this "past your prime" stuff?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem like it will be all over the place as an album, but that's what I'm looking forward to—that it's just a collection of songs they made that they're proud of and were feeling in the moment, rather than something they tried to make sonically cohesive that maybe didn't come so naturally. I already love the first three songs we've heard, am looking forward to the studio version of Ordinary World after hearing a piece of it in the movie trailer, and have super high hopes for Somewhere Now and Forever Now. That's six songs right there that I love/think I'll love. There are a few question marks for the remaining songs, but no band (not even my beloved Green Day) has ever put out an album where I love all songs equally. If I LOVE this much of the album already, that's a pretty damn good head start in the right direction.

To be honest, I think it's a little hard to make a generalization about the album when we've only heard 3 songs.

1 minute ago, dolce_amore93 said:

It does seem like it will be all over the place as an album, but that's what I'm looking forward to—that it's just a collection of songs they made that they're proud of and were feeling in the moment, rather than something they tried to make sonically cohesive that maybe didn't come so naturally.

Hmm yes, what could go wrong! Definitely does NOT sound familiar

5 minutes ago, zeebodaclown said:

if being past your prime means still achieving #1 singles...sign my ass up

where can I can some of this "past your prime" stuff?

Ignore them, they barely like anything :lol: 

I don't see how anyone can make the argument Green Day isn't past their prime. Like for real, you think the band who wrote Dookie and American Idiot hasn't hit their prime yet?

It doesn't mean this album will be bad, but there's no way they will ever reach those heights again, and that's okay! 

As someone who's struggled with suicide many times in the past, this song really speaks to me. The leak sounds better with my good headphones so I'm sure the quality will increase with the official release. I like a dynamic range of songs and this is only making me more hyped for the album's release. 

Lol reading these comments is like watching HLAHG

Billie readings internet comments (teenage girl voice): "Kerplunk's their only good album, but Billie's so HOT"

"Mike's a stripper"

"Why is Billie playing all these expensive guitars now, is he trying to be professional?"

4 minutes ago, Brutalitops said:

Hmm yes, what could go wrong! Definitely does NOT sound familiar

But the difference with the trilogy was that they were in fact pushing themselves to do things that didn't feel natural for the sake of making more songs. They made Dos specifically to sound more garage-rock and like a party. They SPECIFICALLY wanted to forget the past and focus on the future, where here they're embracing many influences they've had over the years. So this is vastly different in my mind. This time, they weren't trying to out-do or one-up themselves—just make an album with no concepts or gimmicks.

I was just hoping for something more complex and experimental. Like stuff from 21CB or Brutal Love or Kill the DJ. Also, where are the horns and orchestra coming in to this album? Or the bow guitar?

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

where are the horns and orchestra coming in to this album? Or the bow guitar?

there is more album

Just now, dolce_amore93 said:

@DookieLukie I've thought about that damn bow guitar every day. WHERE IS IT?

Lol I'm not even sure I'll recognize that it's a bow guitar when I hear it.

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Lol I'm not even sure I'll recognize that it's a bow guitar when I hear it.

It's a pretty distinct sound. You'll definitely recognize it as something unique to their music, I'd imagine.

17 minutes ago, Khaleesi. said:

To be honest, I think it's a little hard to make a generalization about the album when we've only heard 3 songs.

That's literally a fourth of the album. Lol

21 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Oh boy you're so wrong.

Well, I mean, you did say that Dirty Rotten Bastards was better than Jesus of Suburbia.

Seems a little sus to me. Lol

2 minutes ago, CrimsonArk said:

Well, I mean, you did say that Dirty Rotten Bastards was better than Jesus of Suburbia.

It is

12 minutes ago, Brutalitops said:

I don't see how anyone can make the argument Green Day isn't past their prime. Like for real, you think the band who wrote Dookie and American Idiot hasn't hit their prime yet?

It doesn't mean this album will be bad, but there's no way they will ever reach those heights again, and that's okay! 

I personally believe that Dookie is over-rated and I prefer 21st Century Breakdown to AI...by A LOT. People who have heard this album in its entirety are saying that it is going to put them back on the map. And based on the four songs I've heard, I believe them. I think that, lyrically and sonically, what we have gotten so far has been fantastic. There also absolutely no basis for you saying they will never reach those heights again. You have no clue what they can or will do...nobody does.

9 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I was just hoping for something more complex and experimental. Like stuff from 21CB or Brutal Love or Kill the DJ. Also, where are the horns and orchestra coming in to this album? Or the bow guitar?

That's one of the things that has me so excited. I'm in love with the songs that we have so far AND I know that there is still so much that we have heard talked about that we haven't actually heard yet. So all those exciting things are still to come.

3 minutes ago, CrimsonArk said:

Seems a little sus to me. Lol

He's a troll.

2 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

It is

Alright. I mean, you're free to feel however you please.

As long as you're aware of the fact that you're in a pretty extreme minority with that one.

13 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I'm thinking that Forever Now may have the horns since it seems to be another Jesus of Suburbia/Homecoming/Dirty Rotten Bastards.

The opening guitar riff on this song is very Band of Horses-ish. (That's a weird word to say.)

Archived