07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

8 minutes ago, Z J said:

I mean, that's just fact, if you don't notice the difference there's little I can do to help you. I really don't care honestly, not everyone will like every song. What'd you think of the first two?

Crimson hates EVERYTHING :P 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IT'S SO GOOODDDD. I love the lyrics and his voice in the verses. Yes it's poppy but I like how it sounds different from the other two songs. Might be my favorite so far. :)

5 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

It clearly IS something a 44 year old would write, because a 44 year old wrote it :P 

This is exactly the kind of song a 44 year old who has been through some shit and who has grown musically from his early punk days would write. This song wouldn't have existed in the mind of teenage Billie or 20s Billie or even 30s Billie. He has built up to songs like this over time. 

This song isn't a "we need a hit" song. It's too personal of a song to be made with that intent. And if they cared about its commercial success that much, their lead single wouldn't have been about fucking mass shootings from the perspective of a murderer, you know? :lol:

I understand why people are mixed on their reception of this song, but honestly I love it! I know it's different than what Green Day usually does but I dont see how that's a bad thing. Pop music isn't inherently bad, them doing something different isn't inherently bad either. Even if this is more poppy than anything else they've ever written, to me that doesn't make it a bad song. It's catchy and filled with emotion, I really really love it.

It is indeed poppier, a poppier version of Maria, which resembles it most I think. Now, lyrically, it is 100% Billie, albeit adapted to a different melody. I guess he wanted it to have a different sound compared to BoBD and 21 Guns.

2 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

This is exactly the kind of song a 44 year old who has been through some shit and who has grown musically from his early punk days would write. This song wouldn't have existed in the mind of teenage Billie or 20s Billie or even 30s Billie. He has built up to songs like this over time.

THANK YOU for being intelligent enough to understand that :)

I think this will absolutely be a hit among rock fans, but no way is this something widely appealing to mainstream music right now. Who is playing music like this at award shows? What song similar to this is playing on pop radio? Panic at the Disco and 5S0S are the only rock-related songs I've heard on pop radio in ages, and they're way lighter than this.

4 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

Yeah I understand that and agree. I just don't like the song very much.

I'm starting to think I'm listening to the wrong leak because nothing anyone is saying about the song makes sense to me.

Being able to write three songs in essentially three different genres (Punk, pop-punk, and now pop-rock) really highlights Billie's talent as a songwriter and the dynamic nature of Green Day. They've waded in to different waters with their own signature spin, and that's commendable no matter what you think of the song.

@CrimsonArk Verbal warning.  Differences in opinion are fine, abusing other members is not.  If you continue you risk being suspended.

@DookieLukie It's all good. Some people love it because it's very different, some people don't like it because it's very different. I think this will continue to be a very divisive song, and I think that's warranted. I totally understand why some wouldn't enjoy it. I absolutely love it, but it genuinely makes sense to me that people could be disappointed in this, too.

I wasn't on the board when songs like Boulevard came out. I'd be curious to know how fans felt about that. In listening to AI yesterday it dawned on me for the first time in a long time just how different that song is stacked up to most of their catalogue. 

5 minutes ago, CrimsonArk said:

Fuck off with this patronizing ass shit lol

Great contribution to the discussion. I mean, I've seen you post nothing but criticism of all three songs that have been released...which is fine if you offered ANYTHING to support your opinions. I would gladly listen to and consider any valid criticisms or points that people make. However, when you just act like a total fucking fuckwit and post nonsensical bullshit like, "this sucks" then it's hard to take you seriously.

Also, that's a general "you" for people that are posting similar stuff, not a "you" meaning you and you alone.

1 minute ago, dolce_amore93 said:

@DookieLukie It's all good. Some people love it because it's very different, some people don't like it because it's very different. I think this will continue to be a very divisive song, and I think that's warranted. I totally understand why some wouldn't enjoy it.

I wasn't on the board when songs like Boulevard came out. I'd be curious to know how fans felt about that. In listening to AI yesterday it dawned on me for the first time in a long time just how different that song is stacked up to most of their catalogue. 

I don't dislike it because it's different. I just don't think it's a good song. I like different things as long as they are good.

1 minute ago, DookieLukie said:

I don't dislike it because it's different. I just don't think it's a good song. I like different things as long as they are good.

I'm going to try to be serious with you...why? Why don't you think it's good? You have said it's generic...OK...example? Because I don't think there is anything generic about this song. That's why I'm curious as to what makes you say that.

I like the lyrics and Billie's voice and guitar, but it is a song we have heard so many times before by pop bands, so I doubt I listen to this too many times. However, this sounds like a song my daughter will absolutely love xD. (We tend to love very different songs from GD).

14 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

This song isn't a "we need a hit" song. It's too personal of a song to be made with that intent. And if they cared about its commercial success that much, their lead single wouldn't have been about fucking mass shootings from the perspective of a murderer, you know? :lol:

can i like this comment more than 1 times?

Just now, Ryan said:

I'm going to try to be serious with you...why? Why don't you think it's good? You have said it's generic...OK...example? Because I don't think there is anything generic about this song. That's why I'm curious as to what makes you say that.

Well first of all, sometimes songs just don't jell with people. I just feel like the song is made up of things I've heard before. The verses don't really stick out to me as much as most other GD songs. The chorus sounds like a combination of a lot of other Simple Plan/All Time Low songs I've heard. The guitar in the background is the exact same tone and progression as "Who Knew" by Pink. The "woahs woahs" sounds like the ones from blink's California. Idk man, it's not what I was hoping for from GD and it just doesn't pop out to me.

Super pop, even more so than anything on the trilogy.

It had a Simple Plan feel, maybe because it was...more simple?

I feel like it will be a nice break in the album, stoked to hear the whole flowww

Archived