01 - Somewhere Now

Lone

3 hours ago, Platypus2000 said:

It really isn't.

Well I forgot about it as soon as I heard it so yeah, it kind of is :P

1 hour ago, ShineWolf said:

I love the song but I don't get the line "I shop online so I can bolt
At the speed of life"

It's standard Billie Joe word salad, except "speed of life" is as crap a line as it was when Buzzcocks named a single after it :P

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ShineWolf said:

I love the song but I don't get the line "I shop online so I can bolt
At the speed of life"

It's not "bolt", it's "vote".

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah I don't think I'm going to work out what it is any time soon :lol:. Pretty much purely sounds like a Green Day song to me by now anyway so doesn't bother me so much.

Was is really necessary to write "I put the riot in PatRiot" like that in the lyrics booklet? I got it thanks, you didn't need to spell it out :P 

I read PatRiot as Patt Riot three times in a row and I literally had to stop myself and try to figure out what that word actually was. #Embarrassing

1 hour ago, Platypus2000 said:

It's not "bolt", it's "vote".

Exactly, and with the word "vote", the line makes perfect sense to me. People "vote" on online shops, they choose between products and clothes and useless stuff, but don't give a fuck about politics, elections and what's going on in the world. Commerce took over the process of voting. Or something like that :happy: At least that's what I read into the lyrics.

Tied for my favorite on the album along with Say Goodbye, Outlaws, and Forever Now. I can see this becoming one of my all-time favorites by them. I also agree with Billie on it being their best album opener yet. The Who-esque vibes I get from this are amazing, Tre was totally spot on when he said this track contained his best drumming ever, and the lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard on a GD album, with the "Hallelujah I found my soul, under the sofa pillows" line being my favorite. I can relate to this song so much as well. Such an improvement over some of the trilogy's lyrics (though they did have some very good moments on certain songs that I also related to). And the way it all comes full circle with the song's reprise in Forever Now is just the icing on the cake for me. Truly a monumental moment throughout their entire discography.

I caved last night and listened to this one out of the sheer level of undeniable curiosity. So damn excited for my physical copy to get here. 

Originally I thought the line was "I shot the line so I can bolt at the speed of light". Lyric booklet proved me wrong.

Anyone else think the intro sounds kinda like this (considering Green Day have stolen fuckloads from SLF)?

I shop online because it's cheaper and no state sales tax. And to avoid social interaction. Duh.

This song was crazy live, such an epic opener, really getting the American Idiot-ish epic vibe.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but...

While recording a cover of "Somewhere Now," I've realized that this song alternates keys throughout it. The intro and verses are A minor while the rest is A major. The end of the chorus ("And we all die in threes") is where it switches back to the minor. I thought this was super interesting.

3 minutes ago, Matt. said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet but...

While recording a cover of "Somewhere Now," I've realized that this song alternates keys throughout it. The intro and verses are A minor while the rest is A major. The end of the chorus ("And we all die in threes") is where it switches back to the minor. I thought this was super interesting.

Mentioned this a couple days ago, these are some of the best progressions and chord structures Billie has ever came up with. Some interesting time signatures throughout the album too.

I was very excited from the first listen of this song, from the first few moments. The sound is incredible. The lyrics also immediately struck me and with every listen I hear the different layers of emotions behind them. I'm especially loving the subtle sarcasm/"now what?" feelings I pick up on in the last two lines of the song. Definitely repeated this one a few times on the way home from work today. :) 

I love how you get the best of both worlds in this track - a hint of classic rock mixed with modern and signature Green Day. My favorite part is the jam session around 3 minutes in. By far one of the best tracks they've made in a long time as well as Outlaws.

I was a bit disappointed for it was the first song of the album
and i didn´t like this one that much. to be honest.

There are some really good rhythms in this. I've been playing it on bass for a few days and purely in terms of rhythm it's closer to prog rock than punk. There's kind of a triplet feel that drifts in and out in the choruses, and the music under "we all die in threes" is straight from More Than A Feeling by Boston. Then obviously there are all the comparisons with The Who in the quieter bits. I love it, really well crafted.

Okay, now that my CD and vinyl have finally come, I have to say, this track sounds 10 times better on disc, coming through a decent set of speakers, compared to the digital copy.

I can't get over how great this song is :wub:, it's just amazing and has become at least a top 5 all time favourite Green Day song. And when paired with Forever Now even greater!

I really liked Somewhere Now the first time I heard it but I listened to it on the way to work this morning and didn't like it as much. :( Hopefully I'll be able to like it again. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it or something.

This song isnt my favourite song from the album, but its so good! the sofa pillows lyric is amazing and i love the acoustic intro, definitely a good opener for RevRad.

'I'm running late to somewhere now, I don't want to be' - this is actually the story of my life.  I like how, for me, the first line of the album is the one I can relate to most.

Straight off, with the intro guitars, it reminded me so much of More Than A Feeling by Boston. :lol: 

Until now, this is my least favorite track on the album. But the lyrics are great and the music really grows on me!! 

On 10/13/2016 at 3:59 PM, 21guns&novacaine said:

Straight off, with the intro guitars, it reminded me so much of More Than A Feeling by Boston. :lol: 

Yes!! Such a Boston/Who feel.

Archived