Trilogy Discussion

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Zebahar said:

The trilogy was the first album releases that I got to be apart of after becoming a Green Day fan. I bought a physical copy the day each came out, and wore each one down to the point where I can't listen to the CDs anymore.

While I do enjoy a majority of the songs on the album and still listen to them, the reason I love the trilogy so much is because of the memories that it brings back. I was a junior in high school, and I remember just how happy I was with my life at that point. I promise I won't be bragging about my life at that point or diving into specific memories, don't worry.

It just always amazes me how big of a role music can play in peoples lives. It's not just the music itself, but its the memories and sharing the music with people you care about. The trilogy always reminds me of that, and I am really grateful for that.

Love this ❤️ Thank you for your beautiful post and story ❤️ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Insomniac1984 said:

Well, I want to go deeper on this trilogy topic. First, I want to tell my experience on that era being a Southamerican Fan (Specifically, I'm from Chile). I remember 2012 so well. I was so excited about the Trilogy project. Billie made some tweets about going back to Southamerica for Trilogy tour, and I REALLY WANTED to listen to trilogy stuff live. However, as you know, the iHeart thing happened and Billie went to rehab.

I felt 2012 it was a mixed feelings time to be a GD fan. The boys were releasing 3 records, but Billie went into a rehab. There were just some interviews that Mike did, explaining Billie's situation. The trilogy for months were a kind of "Billie's posthomous work". This collection of songs sounded great, but the band is not here to play them. Finally, Billie ended his rehab and the trilogy tour started in 2013. Months were passing by and no news about a tour in Southamerica. It was 2014, the tour ended, and I sadly understood I wouldn't get any chance to listen to a bunch of trilogy songs live.

Then it was the RevRad era, and I had some hope to listen AT LEAST something from the trilogy. The guys came to Southamerica. I was paying attention to the news and the setlist on any country, and nothing. Then, they were in Chile and nothing again. However, they were in Corona Fest in Mexico and played Walk Away...

I really enjoyed the gig in Chile in 2017 but I miss trilogy songs. I hope someday I could listen to them live.

And second, how it was for you the OTIS MIXES for trilogy songs? Were they good for you? I loved Fell for you and Wild One mixes then and now. 

Thank you for your story!

In answer to your second question, I loved the Fell for You and Wild One Otis mixes the most! Oh Love was amazing too! I’m so happy about the Otis mixes for these songs. I love the Trilogy and those songs especially.

• Like 3

I've been a fan since 2010, thanks to 21 Guns and Holiday. I got to know the whole discography in 2011. I remember those moments when they started releasing studio teasers and that fancy clip from Billboard, Kill The Dj disco riff in the background :D  Some concert footages recorded by fans were exciting, despite the poor quality. I especially liked Angel Blue.

Huge hype was when they released Oh Love, lyrcis video first. Great memories. On the one hand I liked Oh Love very much, on the other it was a bit too slow. At the time I was analyzing as much as I could, breaking down the song into the smallest elements, just to determine whether it's a good song, average, or weak and whether other fans will like it.

First I had mixed feelings about the trilogy, on one hand it was something new, that rock and roll vibes on Dos. On the other hand the flat production bothered me. Once I had a very positive opinion and once not. And I was aware (like others) that decision about three albums was not a good marketing move. It was sad that the albums didn't sell well, but it was quite predictable.

And I wanted them to have a new fan base. 21st CB brought huge amount of 'teenage girl' fans. What's funny, before they released the trilogy, some fans arleady grumbled that they were sellouts, that 21st Guns was too poppy, etc. But it's always like that. The truth is, if it wasn't for 21st CB (and the Grammy they won) they wouldn't be on the cover of Kerrand so often in recent years, they wouldn't always be headliners. 21st CB solidified their status. 1994 - Dookie, 2004 - American Idiot and 2009 - 21st st CB. 

I love 21st CB.

Unfortunately, trilogy didn't bring them a new wave of fans, in fact no later album did. And all in all, that's what I wish for the most every time, that they put out a single that will grab people's hearts. A music video that's gonna have 100 million views after a year. 

Going back to the trilogy. In fact, I only really dislike a few songs: Amanda, 8th Avenue Serenade, Little Boy Named Train. The rest is nice or fantastic like Lazy Bones.

And what can be said in addition: despite its flaws (flat guitars, polished vocal) trilogy was indeed something new stylistically. And I have the impression that RevRad or FOAMF are in a way derivatives of the trilogy. Songs like Youngblood, Ordinary World, Fire Ready Aim, Father of All, Meet Me on the Roof could have been on trilogy. RevRad production is more raw, but Foamf we know... What distinguishes 21stCB from trilogy-revrad-foamf is that powerful and fat sound, deep vocal and musical structure as a whole. Totally consistent from start to finish. 

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

It’s never been the same since, has it?

Nope, it hasn't. Trilogy marked officially the end of an era when it comes to Green Day forever staying and acting younger what they actually were. They became a lot more careful and responsible towards to what they said on interviews and what they did on stage. No more drunk concerts and no more ambitious albums (just compare AI/21st/Trilogy to RR/FOAMF). Billie also started to do a lot more songs about past rather than writing about present or the future. There was a clear growing up stage that The Boys had between Trilogy to Revolution Radio. I didn't like it, but I tried to accept that The Boys are not young anymore.

Then of course FOAMF happened. Green Day suddenly once again decided to be young and irresponsible by drinking on stage, releasing an album that doesn't gather the masses, having questionable interviews and overall having this weird feeling that wasn't seen during Revolution Radio Era. Even though I enjoyed FOAMF and its era, looking back, it was really weird. Why on earth did they suddenly decide to do Prince-impressions and do an album that wasn't mostly played during live shows and was clearly fuck you to the fans that loved Revolution Radio? As I said, I enjoyed FOAMF, but I can also clearly see why people dislike it. It was like living Trilogy all over again, but atleast during Trilogy they played all but few songs from those albums. They clearly loved the tracks they did on those albums. That's why I also don't understand why Billie feels like he did shitty songs that people didn't like. Sales don't tell everything and he should know that.

I'm so mad that they never played Stab You In The Heart.

Anyways, yeah. It's never been the same since.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Miko said:

I might be misremembering it then. Reading his thoughts about Trilogy on ''My Life in 15 songs'', he mentioned this:

''I love those songs, but a lot of it feels half-baked. It was a weird time. I sort of had my own private nervous breakdown.''

I might've forgotten or straight up skipped the first words, which were positive words about the songs. Then again, he has mentioned that he doesn't know what Nuclear Family is about, which gave me this negative feeling that he doesn't appreciate his own songs from Trilogy. He also did that podcast (was it 2020 or 2021?) where I'm also remembering not-so-great-words-about-the-songs, but maybe I'm misremembering that aswell.

All in all, I'm glad to be wrong about it. God how much I'd love to hear anything from ¡Dos! again. Stop When The Red Lights Flash deserves permanent spot on setlist.

I don’t remember what exactly he said in the podcast but I think he was mostly focusing on how it was a hard time for him mental health-wise, I don’t think he said he didn’t like the songs, just that he felt burned out at that time but forced himself to keep working.

You 100% described what I meant though.

• Like 1

It was unfortunate that GD where unable to promote Trilogy prior to release, due to Billie Joe's illness, having to go to rehab.

As always, his unique songwriting talent, he continues to churn out consistent and brilliant songs. The Trilogy is no different, three more awesome albums to add to GD catalogue. Carpe Diem, Kill the DJ and Oh Love being my personal favs. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

This should have been the cover
giphy.gif

I would expect that cover for a Weezer's tribute to Green Day album 😅

• Haha 2