Green Day nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Give_Me_Novacaine90

probably not jason, possibility with kiffmeyer as it did state album before 1989/1990. so yeah who knows with tre/john... but imma go with a no for jason though.

Whoever is a member gets inducted

But if they pull the same shit with GD they did with Nirvana I'll be boycotting the inductions

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever is a member gets inducted

But if they pull the same shit with GD they did with Nirvana I'll be boycotting the inductions

that's what i'm afraid of.

that's what i'm afraid of.

Not saying Tre doesn't deserve to make it too cause he does

But John was the drummer and member on the album that makes Green Day eligible to be inducted

They'll probably use the same excuse as they did with Chad and say "he wasn't a member"

Not saying Tre doesn't deserve to make it too cause he does

But John was the drummer and member on the album that makes Green Day eligible to be inducted

They'll probably use the same excuse as they did with Chad and say "he wasn't a member"

i think john and tre should be honored, b/c john was around for that album, and tre being iconic with GD now.

i think john and tre should be honored, b/c john was around for that album, and tre being iconic with GD now.

Exactly

I was so pissed when Nirvana got it cause they excluded Chad one of the people from the HOF was all "he wasn't a member he was just a guest drummer" what he was in the band as long as Dave was...

Green Day probably wouldn't be where they are today without Tre, and his impact has been far greater than that of John, so it should be both or neither really. That said, I'd love it if they inducted Green Day as John Kiffmeyer, Sean Hughes, Kurt Lohmiller and Jeff Matika.

Green Day probably wouldn't be where they are today without Tre, and his impact has been far greater than that of John, so it should be both or neither really. That said, I'd love it if they inducted Green Day as John Kiffmeyer, Sean Hughes, Kurt Lohmiller and Jeff Matika.

absoloutley, it's almost destiny, tre and the rest of green day were made to be together, they for like a foot in a shoe. If green day is inducted, but john and Sean can't come lr just aren't there, it's without question billie mike and tre will mention them in their speeches, and whoever inducts them will mention john

Oh yeah Tre deserves to be inducted but if they are going to not induct John then why use the first release?

Then again HOF doesn't know what their policies are anyways they wouldn't induct Chad but didn't allow the current KISS to be inducted only the original line up

Tbh from everything I've heard about John I doubt he'd want to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

Tbh from everything I've heard about John I doubt he'd want to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

That's most likely to be true

But Green Day are eligible now because of 1000 Hours and Tre had nothing at all to do with 1000 Hours and if the HOF follows their supposed guidelines and how they did KISS then they'd have to induct the original line up

But they'll pull the Nirvana route and just induct current GD (and that's fine too)

Despite what people say, Green Day definitely deserves the HOF nod. If they get in, it will be a huge win for punk rock & a huge win for diehard GD fans like myself.

From Green Day's Facebook page:

For Immediate Release

GREEN DAY INCLUDED AMONG 2015 NOMINEES UP FOR INDUCTION INTO ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

BAND CELEBRATES 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF DIAMOND-SELLER DOOKIE AND 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF LANDMARK CLASSIC AMERICAN IDIOT

October 9th, 2014 Green Day are among the 2015 nominees up for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it was announced today.

The 2015 inductees are chosen by a secret ballot of over 600 individual voters consisting of all past inductees of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, musicians, historians, critics and members of the music industry. To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. Green Day becomes eligible for the first time this year with the April 1989 release of their debut EP 1,000 Hours.

Wow! Time flies. Its hard to believe itll be 25 years since we released some of our first music, says Armstrong. We are honored to be considered for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with many of our heroes.

Green Day have attended the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony twice, the first time in 2002 when they performed as part of The Ramones induction. In 2012, they opened the show with a performance of Letterbomb and vocalist/guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong helped induct Guns N Roses.

This year, Green Day, which is Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt, and drummer Tré Cool, are celebrating the 20th anniversary of their 1994 breakout album Dookie, which is the band's best-selling album, having sold more than 20 million copies worldwide and earning Green Day its first Grammy® Award for Best Alternative Music Performance and Diamond Award from the RIAA. In addition, the bands landmark album American Idiot celebrates its 10th anniversary this year. Released on September 20th, 2004, American Idiot debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard chart, spawned five hit singles, earned seven Grammy® nominations (winning two, including Best Rock Album), and raised the bar for modern rock and roll.

Green Day were kids from working-class backgrounds who came of age in the underground punk scene in Berkeley, California. Even though they had released two records prior (1039 / Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk), they announced their arrival with Dookie. Over the years, Green Day has continued to top the charts with their subsequent studio albums, which in addition to those mentioned above, include Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning, 21st Century Breakdown, Green Day ¡Uno!, Green Day ¡Dos!, and Green Day ¡Tré! They are one of the worlds best-selling groups of all time, having sold more than 75 million albums and singles worldwide.

# # #

www.greenday.com

www.youtube.com/greenday

Did anyone else crap their pants when they read "for immediate release" followed by "the band celebrates anniversary of..."

Those bastards.

Did anyone else crap their pants when they read "for immediate release" followed by "the band celebrates anniversary of..."

Those bastards.

No, because every press release says "for immediate release" on it. That's typically as far as I read before I delete them. :P

Those bastards.

Cleaning up the mess right now, actually

As far as tickets go, two of my co-workers (one who used to be a member of the Rock and Roll HOF) said as soon as the tickets go up for sale they are immediately sold out. Basically, they told me it's impossible. I'm hoping to find a way to get some, but I'm not too optimistic.

Five Bands That Must Go Into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Green Day. At the turn of the millennium, the idea of Green Day as a viable Hall of Fame nominee, much less a first-ballot selection, would have been laughable. Sure, the band did well on the charts, helped bring punk to the masses, and released a legitimate, jam-packed greatest-hits collection, but so what? Then "American Idiot" happened, and seemingly overnight, the Northern California trio went from being branded a one-trick, three-chord pony to the authors of rock's next chapter. Easily one of the most ambitious records of the modern musical era, it is also among its best. Following a massive stadium tour - a rarity among non-classic rock acts - Green Day took its album to Broadway, and in the decade since has continued breaking new ground, following up with another epic ("21st Century Breakdown"), releasing a full record under an alter ego (Foxboro Hot Tubs), and putting out a three-part album whose promotion was both heightened and stunted by a rehab stay for singer Billie Joe Armstrong. Green Day's transformation from punk kids with an album called "Dookie" to Grammy and Tony Award winning artists has been impressive, as is its seemingly unending supply of undeniably catchy songs, but its influence on 21st century music - both in what other bands sound like, and what they know they can sound like - has been the final piece in earning this group a spot in the Hall.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-carpowich/five-bands-that-must-go-into-the-rock-and-roll_b_5963752.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

How many bands get inducted per year? Only one?

It seems to vary each year. This year, 9 artists/bands were inducted; Last year, 8; in 2012, 17.

Archived