Green Day nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Give_Me_Novacaine90

Nah, these guys should. Punx rawk!!!!!!

Oh my God...the pet rock speech...oh jeez

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been compiling funny Green Day insults from Facebook and other websites. Here's some of my favorites so far:

“Green Day? More like Hall of Shame, amirite?"

“FUCK THIS BAND”

“Green Day deserves an award for paving the way for dozens upon dozens of ball-less, whiny, nasal, perpetually-adolescent mall-punk bands with lyrics mostly about poop and masturbation, over the next two decades.”

“Green Day are not a Rock and Roll band. They are a Punk Rock band. There’s a difference…”

"Green Day is for teenage girls and boys in fruity colored pants."

AND my favorite:

“The first time I ever hit on a girl in my life was in 9th grade, and it was by talking about Green Day. Dookie was big at the time. I didn't get anywhere with her. Fuck Green Day.”

Who are 5 Seconds To Summer?

I only know of 5 Seconds of Summer :ga:

They actually did a cool cover of American Idiot.

I only know of 5 Seconds of Summer :ga:

They actually did a cool cover of American Idiot.

I hated that so much :lol:

I hated that so much :lol:

It was my favourite of that album, well the only one that I was ok with :lol: But I strongly dislike their own stuff.

It was my favourite of that album, well the only one that I was ok with :lol:

I liked it until I learned that they'd replaced Halestorm. Then I went into a flying rage. (Though let's be fair, Halestorm are way too good for Kerrang.)

I liked it until I learned that they'd replaced Halestorm. Then I went into a flying rage. (Though let's be fair, Halestorm are way too good for Kerrang.)

Praxus in a flying rage:

shakingfist.gif

yeah Halestorm and Ev don't deserve Kerrang. not in this period anyways.

now i would of been pissed the moment i found out halestrorm was the choice before 5sos

Probably going to get a lot of hate for this, BUT...

The Smiths and Kraftwerk deserve to be in the Hall of Fame far more than Green Day do. :whistle

The HOF is a lobbyist thing, but with this public voting, it just got weirder. As much as it may mean a lot to some people to get in, it's just a novelty thing and the same folks are always in charge.

EDIT: Shit, John Frusciante hacked into my GDC account. :o

EDIT EDIT: You're wrong, I'm Axl Rose. NOW, ADMIRE MY PLASTIC OPERATIONS. ALL OF YOU. PLEBS. HUH.

Probably going to get a lot of hate for this, BUT...

The Smiths and Kraftwerk deserve to be in the Hall of Fame far more than Green Day do. :whistle

i have to agree with you.

The HOF is a lobbyist thing, but with this public voting, it just got weirder. As much as it may mean a lot to some people to get in, it's just a novelty thing and the same folks are always in charge.

EDIT: Shit, John Frusciante hacked into my GDC account. :o

EDIT EDIT: You're wrong, I'm Axl Rose. NOW, ADMIRE MY PLASTIC OPERATIONS. ALL OF YOU. PLEBS. HUH.

i admire the plastic surgeries lol

I'm thinking Nine Inch Nails will get in before them. No particular reason behind that, just a hunch.

Multiple bands are inducted in the same year. They can (and likely will) both be inducted.

The fans vote? What kind of shittown HOF is this. I expect they get in but I don't feel like it should be a popularity contest. At least not completely.

Oh, wait, didn't see that it was a vote. What is this shit?!

Guys, there are 701 votes for the HOF. 700 of them are by musicians and journalists, and 1 vote comes from the collective millions of fan votes. AKA if Green Day wins the fan vote, they have 1 out of 701 votes going for them. It's totally valid to have 1 vote be a popularity vote, popularity speaks to something, and for GD on this list, actually works in their favor.

Makes sense. Pretty much every band inducted into the Hall of Fame is put in after they put out terrible albums proving they're way past their prime. I think Green Day should be cool and do as the Sex Pistols did though.

Or maybe because you aren't allowed to be inducted until you've been around for 25 and almost everyone is automatically past their prime after 25 years? It's not like "Op! Green Day put out some shitty records, now it's time!"

Since bands can only get in 25 years after their first release and Tre wasn't in the band 25 years ago does that mean John Kiffmeyer will be there? If so I want them to play 39/Smooth in full.

I've read a lot about this and we've discussed it in the other thread on the HOF and apparently yes, he could be inducted if the HOF deems his contribution "influential" enough. Weird if he actually shows up if that's the case, but would be really interesting to see!

Who would you guys want to see actually induct them in? I'd really want someone who was pretty heavily influenced by Green Day but nobody's jumping to mind as an obvious candidate.

This is the OPPOSITE of what I would want!! I do not want ANY of the bands "influenced" by Green Day to induct them, because I think we can all agree most of them are shit. And the ones that many of us like anyway are still not very respected in the wider and older rock community. I think it would be much more impressive for Green Day and speak to their deeper respect if someone OLDER and WISER inducts them, like Paul Westerberg, Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, U2, Dave Grohl (just because he's awesome). Someone already widely respected would give Green Day so much more legitimacy than if fucking Fall Out Boy inducts them.

Like, I almost feel bad for Iggy Pop that Billie Joe gave that speech :lol: It's sweet, but I'm sure he would have been MORE honored had Keith Richards done it, y'know?

Doesn't change the fact that the trilogy sucked and it wasn't even good by the purpose of the Hall of Fame - which is to celebrate the money made for record labels.

Doesn't change the fact that the trilogy sucked and it wasn't even good by the purpose of the Hall of Fame - which is to celebrate the money made for record labels.

I thought the Hall of Fame was just a collection of bands preferred by Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner, so at least it's branching out in its interests.

Wow, Stevie Ray Vaughn just totally knocked GD off the top of the list! Looks like the SRVers are coming out in droves!!

I'm really hoping to go to the induction this year as i live in the cleveland area. Been wanting to go for years now, and now that my favorite band has a better than not chance of getting in this year, its priority #1. As long as i get tickets in the 5 mins before they sell out, ill be in good shape. I wonder if Jason White and John Kiffmeyer will be inducted.

Does anyone know when tickets for the induction ceremonies typically go on sale? Is there any advantage to being a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I'm really hoping to go to the induction this year as i live in the cleveland area. Been wanting to go for years now, and now that my favorite band has a better than not chance of getting in this year, its priority #1. As long as i get tickets in the 5 mins before they sell out, ill be in good shape. I wonder if Jason White and John Kiffmeyer will be inducted.

probably not jason, possibility with kiffmeyer as it did state album before 1989/1990. so yeah who knows with tre/john... but imma go with a no for jason though.

Archived