Billie Joe & Avicii, Thoughts?

kiarakoval

*shrugs* I like it. I'll reserve strong judgement until a better quality version is released, but I think his voice sounds really nice with this style. It is a lot like Wake Me Up, but I really like that song, so it doesn't really bother me.

People calling the lyrics sexist and misogynistic makes me feel like I'm on Tumblr. Sigh.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that ladies are complaining about this song being sexist just proves that there really is "no pleasing a woman".

I am a shame to my own kind.

I am a shame to my own kind.

No...you are someone that should be seen as a role model :)

I like it, can't wait to hear an official release. Billie's vocals sound really nice.

Ugh...stupidity should be outlawed.

-raises hand-

Fuzz, she called me stupid, can you suspend her please? :cry:

I rock out to anti-men songs far too often myself to get mad at Billie for saying it's frustrating to "try to please a woman." I can't go so far as to call it sexist because women hate men when they're being shitty and men can hate women for being shitty and we can all be shitty together and resent each other regardless of gender.

Even raging feminist me has to agree with you there. Methinks it's fine, from a sexism standpoint (because it's not sexist at all, but I'm stupid, what do I know?).

So, you hate pop music yet you're on a Green Day forum?

Interesting.

I don't see any connection here dude. Nothing interesting here.

Just because Billie Joe is featured in this song, I don't have to like it. I actually like one song by Avicii, "Wake Me Up." The vocals by BJ here are weak I would rather pick another artist for this song. If you think that Green Day is pure pop, then you are out of your freaking mind.

What makes you say that?

This might be fake. It doesn't sound like Billie. And if It is, Im going to loose most of my respect for him.

This might be fake. It doesn't sound like Billie. And if It is, Im going to loose most of my respect for him.

It's not fake, there's just effects on his voice as part of the style of the song. Bit much to lose most of your respect for him over disliking one song he's done in his spare time isn't it? He's got some time off so he's keeping his creative juices flowing by trying out some new creative things instead of just sitting around. I'd say it's better for him to try new things when he gets the opportunity and feels like it than not even if they don't all turn out to be things that everyone loves.

It's not fake, there's just effects on his voice as part of the style of the song. Bit much to lose most of your respect for him over disliking one song he's done in his spare time isn't it? He's got some time off so he's keeping his creative juices flowing by trying out some new creative things instead of just sitting around. I'd say it's better for him to try new things when he gets the opportunity and feels like it than not even if they don't all turn out to be things that everyone loves.

Hes producing (And this is billies term) "Pop shit". What happened to "Kill the DJ"? I don't care if he works on other genres or with other people. But auto-tuned voice filter dance music? Gross.

Hes producing (And this is billies term) "Pop shit". What happened to "Kill the DJ"? I don't care if he works on other genres or with other people. But auto-tuned voice filter dance music? Gross.

Kill the DJ is about media overload and static, not actually hating DJs. FYI, Billie has used filters to a degree on the past 5 Green Day albums soo...

I also hate most of pop music, and I'm surprised I like this song. But to dismiss Billie over this one experiment is just dumb.

will this be the official single for avicii's new album? and if so, when could it get released? just curious :)

What's with this misconception that anything that isn't rock, jazz or classical = pop? I mean, Mother Mary is more of a pop song than this and I don't see anyone bitching about the Tubbies.

I don't know how I feel about the song yet, it's not great, but it's not horrible. I'll have to listen to it again and wait for a better quality.

I hope this isn't one of those situations where the crappy half version is better than the studio version. Amy, anyone?

I hope this isn't one of those situations where the crappy half version is better than the studio version. Amy, anyone?

The entirety of Demolicious, anyone? :P

The entirety of Demolicious, anyone? :P

It's just that we got that in reverse. With that secret show Amy recording, I raped the play button and swore it was the greatest song ever. Then the studio version was all weird and I weeped internally. At least with Demolicious we were rewarded at times and not made to expect much.

Just wait 'till this leads him to Zedd. I'm crossing my fingers purely for the meltdowns.

Hayley Williams working with Zedd got me back into Paramore after not having had any interest for three years. Maybe the same would happen to me with Green Day :lol:

I really enjoyed the song from what I've listened to, though the quality wasn't amazing. I think this is just another fun and different thing Billie's ventured into doing while on break.

Same. Her working with B.O.B. got me interested in them to start with. :lol:

That's still the only BOB song I've ever heard :lol:

I kind of feel like you've missed the Trilogy.

"Oh Love", "Stay the Night", "Amanda" and "Brutal Love" just doesn't beat the old stuff for me. Of course, there's "Sweet 16" and "Missing You" but the rest has just sounded like the band desperately trying to make a come back to what they were and failing to pull it off. Those aren't bad songs at all. They're just hard to segregate from the rest of the trilogy and be seen as individual songs, for "thematic" reasons. Society has acted like the trilogy has never existed and some wish it never did.

I tried to figure out the lyrics, if anyone's interested:

I'm tired of being down on my knees
With the weight of the world coming down on me
She says there's always someone better waiting for her
That I was so lucky to get her
(x2)

You know I, I wanna cry
I wonder why all my tears are dry
I just don't dare to show I care
I got nothing left to (say?)

I wonder why I try
I wonder why
Nothing pleases a woman
I wonder why I try
I wonder why
Nothing pleases a woman (x2)
There's just no pleasing a woman

Here's what I have for lyrics. Pretty much the same as above but some spots a different

Well I’m tired of being down on my knees

She says there’s always someone better waiting for

That I was so lucky to get her

I’m tired of being down on my knees

She says there’s always someone better waiting for

I was so lucky that I get her

You know I, I wanna cry

I wonder why all my tears are dry

I just don’t dare show I care

I got nothing left to spare

I wonder why I try

I wonder why nothing pleases a woman

I wonder why I try

I wonder why nothing pleases a woman

Ain’t nothing pleases a woman

There’s just no pleasing a woman

It seems so sad that people will dismiss something just because of what genre it is. Either like it or don't, don't think it's pop - "therefore I must hate it"... be a bit more open minded.

The way that Billie sings "she says that there's always someone better waiting for her" reminds me of how he'd sing a Green Day song. I like that. :)

It sounds like he's just saying "for" and not adding a "her" at the end. Both cases would make sense. It just sounds like "for-r"

Archived