Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Murder City would be a closer example, it was written about the BART riots where some guy got shot

Some guy? His name was Oscar Grant...

I prefer songs about real issues (like Ferguson) than sex, sex, sex and sex.
Ok we have Dos, it's time for Billie to write again some good lyrics.

I prefer songs about real issues (like Ferguson) than sex, sex, sex and sex.

Ok we have Dos, it's time for Billie to write again some good lyrics.

Because Billie always writes about sex?

Yeah but he hasn't written about sex that often aside from on Dos. I don't know why it's so terrible for him to write about it quite a lot (although there's plenty of other subjects covered too) on one album, it's as "real" and as good a subject as any. He can write about everything, I'm glad he doesn't limit himself to one theme/style.

Besides although he hasn't written about it as much as on Dos or made it a main theme on any other album he's still touched on the subject plenty of times before whether it's from a more romantic, more serious, or more silly angle, not to mention all the sexually suggestive schtick on stage and in interviews, so it's not like it's a totally new area for them. Don't really get why having it as more of a main lyrical focus puts people's backs up.

• Like 4

Nothing against sex as a subject. All I'm saying is that we have Dos and the whole " midlife crisis and sex " theme and it's time for Green Day to move on to something more serious and real.

• Like 1

Yeah but he hasn't written about sex that often aside from on Dos. I don't know why it's so terrible for him to write about it quite a lot (although there's plenty of other subjects covered too) on one album, it's as "real" and as good a subject as any. He can write about everything, I'm glad he doesn't limit himself to one theme/style.

Besides although he hasn't written about it as much as on Dos or made it a main theme on any other album he's still touched on the subject plenty of times before whether it's from a more romantic, more serious, or more silly angle, not to mention all the sexually suggestive schtick on stage and in interviews, so it's not like it's a totally new area for them. Don't really get why having it as more of a main lyrical focus puts people's backs up.

I don't think the issue is Billie writing about sex, but the way he wrote about it on Dos. In the past, any sexual content has been handled more poetically than something such as Makeout Party. The lyrics were more overt. They left nothing to the imagination.

I think the "midlife crisis" aspect of it makes it a bit more substantial, rather than purely just fun songs about sex etc on their own (which I think it's fine to make a few of anyway) there's some more introspective and thoughtful songs like Lazy Bones and Amy in with them. In the context of the album it's about all kinds of midlife crisis issues with partying, drink and drugs, dark thoughts, resisting and giving into temptation and the consequences of it as well as just sex, I think those are real and legitimate issues to write about.

I don't think the issue is Billie writing about sex, but the way he wrote about it on Dos. In the past, any sexual content has been handled more poetically than something such as Makeout Party. The lyrics were more overt. They left nothing to the imagination.

I quite like that for a change though, it's always been clear they're capable of writing about it more overtly (from Tre's songs, side project songs like Right Hand-A-Rama, sexy antics during Hitchin A Ride or at Foxboro shows etc). Not saying I'd want all their songs to be that way but it seems fitting that they'd have added a few overtly sexual songs to their "proper" Green Day catalogue by now.

Whether said songs are shite or not is a matter of opinion of course :P

• Like 3

But can someone objectively explain to me what is good about Makeout Party? I simply don't get it. At all. Even if I take the fact that it's a Green Day song out of the equation, it's just plain bad.

But can someone objectively explain to me what is good about Makeout Party? I simply don't get it. At all. Even if I take the fact that it's a Green Day song out of the equation, it's just plain bad.

The only way I can describe it is that it's a good song to play Titanfall to.

If Dos had more songs like Lazy Bones (I mean this song represents the dark vibe of the "party") and less songs like Makeout Party it could be one of their best albums.

It has some good energy live but the lyrics are bad.

Yeah but the FBH could cover a funeral dirge and give it good energy.

This energy is missing from the whole album . For example Baby Eyes is not something special but at least is listenable on Demolicious.

• Like 1

I hope Billie doesn't write a song about Ferguson

I hope someone does, but I'm not sure I'd want Billie to.

I really can't, but I'm no good at this sort of thing anyway. I do like the energy of it, and I think Billie's vocals sound cool.

I didn't know what was good about it either until I realised it was a great workout song. I beat my lap record listening to it.

I didn't know what was good about it either until I realised it was a great workout song.

I shall use that song tomorrow.

• Like 1

Musically it's pretty decent (IMO). The lyrics are some of the worst Billie's written but the music leaves the song somewhat salvageable.

• Like 1

I think the song reflects the drunken thoughts of a horny person
They don't have to make much sense - from the perspective of an inebriated deviant, the song captures that exact moment of "fuck it, I'm hammered. let's get nasty".
I'm pretty sure most of us can relate to the kind of hazy infatuation that Makeout Party is recreating.

• Like 3