Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

The vocals on Church on Sunday and Static Age are the same in the chorus

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY LIFE IS RUINED

The volume is blown out so that the waveform is too big and certain frequencies are cut out of the mix. Cymbal crashes cut out, guitars are compressed together, etc. It also mixed out the television noises you hear on the HD Tracks/vinyl version of Homecoming. Once you've noticed it it's really unpleasant, and as everything is loud it takes a lot of nuance and dynamic range out of the music.

Why do producers (or whoever) do that?

Once you learn to play guitar, and you start learning songs, you notice so many copied chord progressions and shit, it's crazy.

Very true.

But... Best Thing In Town...

Wrongly titled

HA! #REKT

• Like 1

Ignore Tim, he's from Texas. He'll never understand punk.

Lmao but yet I was in a punk band

Sorry just don't like the Sweet Children songs

I love Stray Heart, hands down, just amazing.

Edited by loveblondiebilliejoe

The original version known as Mother Mary on Foxboro Hot Tubs album is far superior

• Like 3

Why do producers (or whoever) do that?

CDs are capable of being way louder than vinyl. To paraphrase Ian Malcolm, producers were so excited to learn that they *could* do something that they didn't stop to think if they *should*. And unfortunately it's just continued for fifteen years.

• Like 1

CDs are capable of being way louder than vinyl. To paraphrase Ian Malcolm, producers were so excited to learn that they *could* do something that they didn't stop to think if they *should*. And unfortunately it's just continued for fifteen years.

I'd blame the mixer/mastering person for the loudness

The original version known as Mother Mary on Foxboro Hot Tubs album is far superior

Mother Mary is superior, but I still love both.

Ted Jensen, Sterling Sounf, right?

Yep. Terrible person. Absolutely murdered that album until the uncompressed version came out.

Sorry just don't like the Sweet Children songs

I like them because it's kind of interesting/cute to hear them playing old songs they must've written when they were like 14 and having fun playing My Generation. Prefer Kerplunk though! But it makes no difference to me that they're on the same CD as it, easy to treat it as separate when you can just press the off button after Words I Might Have Ate finishes.

Mother Mary is superior, but I still love both.

Same, they're both great and fun songs. Stray Heart is also extra fun because you can pretend he's singing "I lost my whale" at the beginning

• Like 3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY LIFE IS RUINED

Blame Tom, I didn't notice until he told me.

• Like 1

I just recently started developing a passion for Favorite Son. I really wish that it was officially included in American Idiot (not just a bonus track, and on GD Rock Band). It's so catchy and the lines in the verses match and I could go on forever explainimg why I love it so much. Do any of you feel it is really underappreciated?

Same, they're both great and fun songs. Stray Heart is also extra fun because you can pretend he's singing "I lost my whale" at the beginning

I'm never gonna be able to unhear that now...but it's so cute

I just recently started developing a passion for Favorite Son. I really wish that it was officially included in American Idiot (not just a bonus track, and on GD Rock Band). It's so catchy and the lines in the verses match and I could go on forever explainimg why I love it so much. Do any of you feel it is really underappreciated?

I think it's a good song but it isn't good enough to be on American Idiot and it doesn't really fit the tone of the album.

I think it's a good song but it isn't good enough to be on American Idiot and it doesn't really fit the tone of the album.

I agree very much that it doesn't fit with tbe theme of American Idiot. I forgot to add that in my post?. If only it could have been on an earlier album it would have fit right in.

Edited by loveblondiebilliejoe

I think it does fit the theme and tone (as it's slagging off Bush and its sound is similar), but American Idiot just wouldn't really have a place for another song as it works so well as it is. So I'd say it's just right being linked to AI as a b-side but not actually on the album. Would be nice if it was on Green Day Rock Band or more well known some other way so that more people could enjoy it though.

Speaking of which I wish the Rock Band/Guitar Hero style of games hadn't died because they're my favourite and it would've been so cool to have more Green Day songs to play.

I think it does fit the theme and tone (as it's slagging off Bush and its sound is similar), but American Idiot just wouldn't really have a place for another song as it works so well as it is. So I'd say it's just right being linked to AI as a b-side but not actually on the album. Would be nice if it was on Green Day Rock Band or more well known some other way so that more people could enjoy it though.

Speaking of which I wish the Rock Band/Guitar Hero style of games hadn't died because they're my favourite and it would've been so cool to have more Green Day songs to play.

I don't see AI's theme as slagging off Bush. I feel like that is more of a minor accessory to the plot. Favorite Son just doesn't have the dark urgency of the rest of the album.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a great song. That and Lights Out are hugely underrated.

I've recently realised how good the production of 21CB is. There was a clear intention to do things differently and try something new and that's the way they should have continued. The whole concept of going back to roots was a mistake. No band can just repeat what they did 15 years ago and expect the same effect. Would we enjoy Warning or Nimrod's sound if one of them came out as a 21CB's follow-up? I'm not sure, for me it would be (sound-wise) a bit of a letdown. Therefore, I believe Green Day should never try to come back to their roots. There's not much room for doing anything different or better than what they did back then and also to me it feels like not-so-pop-punk songs like Little Girl or Brutal Love suit them much better these days. It just feels more natural.

• Like 3

What does this mean?

The lyrics in the verses each rhyme with a corresponding line. For example:

"He hit the ground running

At the speed of light

The star was brightly shining

Like a neon light"

I know what I said was confusing, did this help?