Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I have a conspiracy that Rob Cavallo hates Green Day and tries to sabotage them. It's pretty fucked and long but I'm not high enough to go into detail on it right now.

• Like 1

I have a conspiracy that Rob Cavallo hates Green Day and tries to sabotage them. It's pretty fucked and long but I'm not high enough to go into detail on it right now.

Makes sense. They ditched him and used Bitch Vig on 21CB, and Billie said there was some tension there.

I suggested that theory when we were discussing the production on the Trilogy and everyone ripped my head off :P

• Like 1

Makes sense. They ditched him and used Bitch Vig on 21CB, and Billie said there was some tension there.

"Never attribute to malice what could have come about through incompetence or indifference." I have no problem believing Cavallo didn't give the Trilogy 100% of his talent and ability—it's not at all hard to see that, especially when the project is so different from what the band envisioned—but I don't buy that he deliberately went out of his way to wreak destruction on the three albums. Not to mention if it were simply a matter of being irked that the band had left him, why not sabotage them on AI? Sure, he was still executive producer on Warning, bu the band definitely shafted him after having him produce three albums for them, one of which was their breakthrough.

• Like 2

But he produced the trilogy. Does this mean we can blame him?

"Never attribute to malice what could have come about through incompetence or indifference." I have no problem believing Cavallo didn't give the Trilogy 100% of his talent and ability—it's not at all hard to see that, especially when the project is so different from what the band envisioned—but I don't buy that he deliberately went out of his way to wreak destruction on the three albums. Not to mention if it were simply a matter of being irked that the band had left him, why not sabotage them on AI? Sure, he was still executive producer on Warning, bu the band definitely shafted him after having him produce three albums for them, one of which was their breakthrough.

The shaft was far harder on 21CB though. The band did it themselves on Warning, which is a lot more polite than replacing Cavallo for 21CB. Honestly, I don't really care. I don't Cavallo really gave a fuck on the Trilogy. Seemed to always just be sitting around goofing off in Cuatro.

I don't think changing the producer necessarily meant that they were not getting along with Cavallo. What if they just wanted to sound different and thought Vig was more capable of making them sound like they wanted to? Not everything has to be so dramatic ;)

And when it comes to the production on trilogy, whether one likes it or not, one must understand it was surely a collective decision and nobody alone is to blame. Besides, I don't find the production on the trilogy as bad as people say it is.

• Like 2

We also shouldn't forget that the band sounded infinitely better with Butch Vig behind the desk than they ever have with Rob, but I guess that's just a matter of personal taste.

• Like 3

In the beginning, what I didn't understand is why the album they were describing in Cuatro -- so much energy, fun, passion, etc. -- didn't match up with the finished product. Then, after we heard Demolicious, it made more sense. The demos captured what they described, for sure. Somehow, between the demos and the finished product, something was lost. I don't think we can blame Cavallo, but I don't know if he necessarily helped the process, either. I do wonder if everyone got comfortable, and had a "We're Green Day, we can't possibly fuck this up!" attitude.

• Like 2

Have you ever noticed in "Hauskinka" from 2:30 - 2:40 the instrumental sounds exactly like a sped up version of "Walking Contradiction"? It's really cool and weird at the same time. ☺

• Like 3

Have you ever noticed in "Hauskinka" from 2:30 - 2:40 the instrumental sounds exactly like a sped up version of "Walking Contradiction"? It's really cool and weird at the same time. ☺

Well, they are fond of reusing their own stuff - Sassafras Roots and Church on Sunday, for example.

Is it odd that every time I see 39/Smooth typed, I read it in the slightly skewed font the album uses even when it's written normally?

In the beginning, what I didn't understand is why the album they were describing in Cuatro -- so much energy, fun, passion, etc. -- didn't match up with the finished product. Then, after we heard Demolicious, it made more sense. The demos captured what they described, for sure. Somehow, between the demos and the finished product, something was lost. I don't think we can blame Cavallo, but I don't know if he necessarily helped the process, either. I do wonder if everyone got comfortable, and had a "We're Green Day, we can't possibly fuck this up!" attitude.

I always thought if they took Demolicious, replaced Makeout Party with Fuck Time and Ashley with Brutal Love, that would have been a kick ass double record instead of a trilogy.

Well, they are fond of reusing their own stuff - Sassafras Roots and Church on Sunday, for example.

Wait? Don't you mean Church on Sunday and Static Age? DON'T RUIN SASSAFRAS ROOTS FOR ME :cry:

I always thought if they took Demolicious, replaced Makeout Party with Fuck Time and Ashley with Brutal Love, that would have been a kick ass double record instead of a trilogy.

Nah, fuck Brutal Love. Lazy Bones would be better, or X-Kid. Or Both.

• Like 1

Wait? Don't you mean Church on Sunday and Static Age? DON'T RUIN SASSAFRAS ROOTS FOR ME :cry:

The vocals on Church on Sunday and Static Age are the same in the chorus, yeah, but the guitar in the verses on Sassafras Roots is exactly the same as the guitar in the verses of Church on Sunday. And they did something similar in Fell for You, but it's not quite as pronounced.

The vocals on Church on Sunday and Static Age are the same in the chorus, yeah, but the guitar in the verses on Sassafras Roots is exactly the same as the guitar in the verses of Church on Sunday. And they did something similar in Fell for You, but it's not quite as pronounced.

Thanks for ruining my life.

• Like 2

Thanks for ruining my life.

You would've noticed eventually, given time - I prefer to see it as sparing you the period of doubt and fear when you first notice it but aren't sure if you're right.

same chord progression but played slightly different

One of My Lies and Basket Case are the same thing too, but still different

Nah, fuck Brutal Love. Lazy Bones would be better, or X-Kid. Or Both.

I stand by Brutal Love, but will trade you X-Kid and Lazy Bones for Carpe Diem.

• Like 3

I stand by Brutal Love, but will trade you X-Kid and Lazy Bones for Carpe Diem.

How about we trade them for both Carpe Diem and Little Boy Named Train?

• Like 2