Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Demolicious does have a hint of that awesome punk sound I thought had long deserted Green Day.

In fact, I'm going to completely wipe the Trilogy from my mind *It doesn't exist It doesn't exist It doesn't exist* and pretend Demolicious was the direct sequel to 21CB.

Edited by Jaded in Chicago

Well, for starters, it's an entirely different recording than the one on Uno....

Well, thanks for clearing that up. The only difference I hear is lower sound quality.

Mike throws a load of extra fills in and it sounds awesome.

The drumming is so much more interesting on the Rusty James demo too. I like how Tré goes onto the ride cymbal on the chorus like he does in the old songs.

For real? Why haven't I noticed this stuff?

Demolicious does have a hint of that awesome punk sound I thought had long deserted Green Day.

In fact, I'm going to completely wipe the Trilogy from my mind *It doesn't exist It doesn't exist It doesn't exist* and pretend Demolicious was the direct sequel to 21CB.

RIP Brutal Love, Kill the DJ, and everything else excluded

RIP Brutal Love, Kill the DJ, and everything else excluded

It still pisses me off that they included "Little Boy Named Train", "Makeout Party" and "Baby Eyes", three of the worst songs of the Trilogy, and left off stuff like that. As Dookiefied has evidenced, "Kill the DJ" with distorted guitars is fucking it.

It still pisses me off that they included "Little Boy Named Train", "Makeout Party" and "Baby Eyes", three of the worst songs of the Trilogy, and left off stuff like that. As Dookiefied has evidenced, "Kill the DJ" with distorted guitars is fucking it.

The drumming is so much more interesting on the Rusty James demo too. I like how Tré goes onto the ride cymbal on the chorus like he does in the old songs.

Mike throws a load of extra fills in and it sounds awesome.

The Demolicious version of Rusty James is better in my opinion coz of the bass. Speaking of which, Baby Eyes.

the fact that the majority of us agree on this topic has sky rocketed my faith in the green day community :)
  • Like 1

Well, they certainly improved Baby Eyes, I'd rather they excluded Ashley and Makeout Party

You gotta at least keep Brutal Love and Kill the DJ.

Songs that I wish were on Demolicious / would've sounded crazy awesome on it:

Stop When The Red Lights Flash

X-Kid

Dirty Rotten Barstards

Kill The DJ

Walk Away

• Like 2

Nearly everyone agreeing on the superiority of Demolicious when compared to the Trilogy is a bit eerie.

Consensus doesn't suit GDC. It blasphemes against every principle of Internet message boards :unsure: I'm scared.

• Like 3

Does anyone know who "Brainstew" is? Seriously, if you have a physical copy of Kerplunk, look inside of it. It says "Green Day thanks" and then a bunch of names. It says people who you'd expect, "Jason Relva", "Al Sobrante" and others. Then there's guys who have names like "Jack Acid" and "23 More".
But then it also says "In memory of Gravy..." Who the hell is/was Gravy?

Maybe this is old news, but I just recently found out about this.

Edited by Soviet Idiot

Does anyone know who "Brainstew" is? Seriously, if you have a physical copy of Kerplunk, look inside of it. It says "Green Day thanks" and then a bunch of names. It says people who you'd expect, "Jason Relva", "Al Sobrante" and others. Then there's guys who have names like "Jack Acid" and "23 More".

But then it also says "In memory of Gravy..." Who the hell is/was Gravy?

Maybe this is old news, but I just recently found out about this.

Brain Stew is thought to be a nickname for James Washburn, a friend of the band. Jack Acid were a Gilman band in '91. Gravy was Mike's cat, who died shortly before the album came out.

• Like 1

Is the fan written story in the Kerplunk booklet real or not?

No. It claims to be written by Laurie L, who is a fictional character made up in tribute to Larry Livermore. The author published it in the Tales Of The Blarg fanzine and it was lifted from there and included in the Kerplunk booklet.

• Like 1

It's a shame that the lyrics to Makeout Party are so awful. Musically, it's one of the better songs from the Trilogy.

It's a shame that the lyrics to Makeout Party are so awful. Musically, it's one of the better songs from the Trilogy.

I could almost forgive the lyrics if it was on Kerplunk. But this was written by a 40 year old. Not one of his most inspiring efforts.

• Like 1

It's weird but some of the obvious filter effects on Demolicious actually sound cool. Overall though, it seemed that the band was having a lot of fun when they recorded the demos. The random guitar noodling, random grunts and vocal...things?...from Billie like he used to do on Insomniac, etc. It adds a lot of life and energy. Then they recorded the final versions like robots. Even the "sayoooh" at the start of Missing You sounds genuine on Demolicious and completely boring and forced on the Tre version.

Edited by DookieLukie
  • Like 3

I've just been struck by how great I Was There is. This post was originally going to say how great the vocals are, but then everything else about it is equally great.

I've just been struck by how great I Was There is. This post was originally going to say how great the vocals are, but then everything else about it is equally great.

I agree on so many levels.. Green Day's best song in my opinion.

Is the fan written story in the Kerplunk booklet real or not?

No. It claims to be written by Laurie L, who is a fictional character made up in tribute to Larry Livermore. The author published it in the Tales Of The Blarg fanzine and it was lifted from there and included in the Kerplunk booklet.

Larry Livermore was the author of the story, that's the reason for the name Laurie L.

I don't get why Green Day couldn't book a long gig like Foo Fighters are doing now on Letterman. Would have been awesome.

I don't get why Green Day couldn't book a long gig like Foo Fighters are doing now on Letterman. Would have been awesome.

1. They are not even touring.
  2. They don't have the fan base they used to have.
  3. They have nothing to promote.
  4. The Foo Fighters thing is bloody stupid.