Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Listen to Billie whine about nothing and everything all at once for Basket Case day.

I can imagine that on a billboard in the East Bay. lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Lazy Bones is a massive callback. It sounds like Give Me Novacaine, Favorite Son and maybe Dearly Beloved and has a lyric nicked from Basket Case. Callback Bones. 😄

On 2/24/2024 at 7:03 AM, That Dude said:

Today will be national Basketcase Day!!!!! 

Everyone, mark your calendars!

Edited by GreenDayJunkie86
  • Like 1

For a long time, i thought "Stay The Night" has one of the weirdest lyrics in Green Day's history. Albeit it is, up to this date, the only Green Day song i did never feel i needed to seek the lyrics -as i did with every single of the rest-, i misheard the 4th verse's lyrics and was certain it was "so we can watch the scars until our son begins to rise". On this line i thought i discovered that "Stay The Night" had further meaning than one-night stands and the narrator's intention would be to marry the unnamed woman and bear children. You could imagine my embarassment when i finally understood the correct lyrics. :confused:

I once misheard something about cocaine in 21st Century Breakdown.

My goal is to set aside money to go to the Green Day concert in Denver, CO (Coors Field). Who else might be there? 

31 minutes ago, GreenDayJunkie86 said:

My goal is to set aside money to go to the Green Day concert in Denver, CO (Coors Field). Who else might be there? 

You can post in the show thread to talk about your local show and plan meetups

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2024 at 20:43, The 99th revolution said:

Une fois, j’ai mal entendu quelque chose à propos de la cocaïne dans 21st Century Breakdown.

i thought it said "i'm f****ng my fingers and lie through my teeth" during the third verse of the second section.

• Like 1

I thought it said "left through my teeth." 

What the fuck? You have teeth in YOU, you can't go inside yourself! /joke

As I'm turning 26 tomorrow, it's at the same time around 15th anniversary of me being Green Day fan for life. I decided to look back and write my thoughts about ''me as a green day fan'' and this came out to be long message. Sorry about that.

I remember those old teenager magazines hyping up for 21st Century Breakdown and I remember loving Know Your Enemy so much. Once Green Day Rock Band was released, that was how I was introduced to American Idiot tracks and I remember how lonely Billie Joe looked when performing Wake Me Up When September Ends. That track ended up being the first of dozens of songs I'd learn on guitar, a story that I already shared on ''calling all guitar players'' thread.

I've said many times how Trilogy is my favorite era from them and how I absolutely adore those albums to death. It helps that I was there to witness it from start to finish and to this date it's still the only time I had a chance to attend to Green Day concert in 2013, since that was the last time they'd visit this country. They were supposed to do so again in 2020, but thanks to COVID, they never did so. Lucky me. Anyways, those secret shows were ridiculous hype and I don't think Green Day can nor will ever reach that kind of hype again. For those who were not there, imagine your favorite band suddenly out from nowhere coming to play 17-18 new songs in a fucking bar after all of those stadium shows. People were posting those shitty quality recordings to YouTube and I remember how Wow! That's Loud was named as 8th Avenue Serenade. It was a fever dream to even imagine them releasing all those songs and there they were announcing not one, not two but three fucking albums in span of 4 months. Let Yourself Go (live from Red 7) was released around the same time and I remember watching it as 14yo teenager thinking ''fuck this man is hot'' and once I saw Billie Joe absolutely shred on that guitar, I was amazed by his skills. I knew he was a good guitar player but I had never seen him play solos on live setting. Needless to say, this was the peak hype from me when it comes to Trilogy albums.

Around the time Uno! dropped, I was in hospital. Looking back it was kinda funny how Billie was in rehab and I was in hospital and neither of us didn't quite expect our circumstances to be like this once Uno! was released, but it didn't matter. Once I got my hands on that CD, I knew from the start that Let Yourself Go was gonna be my favorite track. During later years I'd discover my love towards to Kill the DJ and Rusty James, but Let Yourself Go will always be my favorite track from Uno! and that's no shade towards to Nuclear Family and Stay the Night. They're both great tracks aswell, but that kind of emotional connection is harder to achieve. It also doesn't help that Let Yourself Go had the best live performances from this era with MTV VMA 2012 performance still being one of the best performances I've seen to this day.

Dos! was leaked on YouTube like week or two before the release date and I joined to many others thinking ''what the fuck was this'' and sure enough, Nightlife quickly rose to top of ''worst green day songs ever'' lists. I used to think so too, but when I turned 18 and discovered what alcohol is, I realized how much damned fun that record is when you've drank few beers and you're playing them on guitar. Nightlife is still not that much fun to play on guitar, but goddamn that track absolutely slaps when listening the album from start to finish. Nowadays it's my absolutely favorite album from them and I'm pretty sure that will never change.

Tre! was supposed to be released in January 2013 but it was dropped month earlier in December 2012 due to Green Day being on sudden hiatus. I wasn't that interested with this album due to all the hype dying with Billie being in rehab, but I looked forward to 99 Revolutions at the very least since the snippet I had heard (from some movie credits that I can't recall now) sounded great. Sure enough, song turned out to be good and Dirty Rotten Bastards was great aswell. Otherwise it would take me years to properly re-listen this record again and that's when I started to adore tracks like Brutal Love, 8th Avenue Serenade, Missing You, Sex, Drugs & Violence and Amanda. I still hate The Forgotten and DRB doesn't do much to me nowadays, but it's a great record despite it not being rock and roll banger like first two albums were.

Seeing them live in 2013 is the greatest day of my life. I've been married, I've achieved many great things in my life and I've been in crazy parties, but nothing matches the feeling I had when Billie Joe looked me right in the fucking eyes. If you don't know what kind of country Finland is in summer time, it's very bright and it doesn't get dark during nights. Green Day started playing like 9PM and when it was time for Holiday and ''TURN OFF THE LIGHTS'', Billie just mentioned how it's not dark in here. Everyone was just having good time and I got to hear all my favorite tracks live. Murder City, Stop When the Red Lights Flash, She and of course all the classics. They ended the show with Brutal Love which I'm grateful about because I never cared about Good Riddance anyways, but seeing how they completely abandoned 99 % of Trilogy tracks since that tour, I'm a lucky motherfucker. If this was the only time I'd ever see them perform live, I definitely have no regrets.

I will never appreciate Revolution Radio. I've always seen it as ridiculous downgrade from Trilogy albums and it's been mixed so poorly that even the decent tracks (Bang Bang, Outlaws) are impossible to listen without my ears starting to bleed. Although this is the album that many fans declare as ''return to form'', I never saw it that way and it just sounded.. too real? Where were the dumb fun tracks? Their live performances from this era never sounded as good as they did on 99 Revolutions Tour and setlists didn't have any Trilogy songs outside of one performance of Amy and Nuclear Family. For me, I just wasn't mature enough for this album. I had just turned 18 and was all about Trilogy tracks. I'd love to re-visit this record once someone has finally mixed it properly, but I doubt I will ever fully appreciate Revolution Radio as what it is.

When FOAM era came around, that was my first era on this forum. I always adored Fire, Ready, Aim but to this day I still think ''what the fuck is this'' when it comes to Father of All. I kinda get what they were trying to do with that song, but I just don't understand the lyrics at all. Meet Me on the Roof was much better performance when it comes to those falsettos. Stab You in the Heart and Sugar Youth are definitely the best tracks on the record, but even those songs have ridiculous lyrics. Seriously, ''Mano y mano in the stereo without a cure'' is just nonsense and I love it. I've grown to appreciate Junkies on a High and Take the Money and Crawl, but at the same time I surprisingly don't see Graffitia as a great song anymore. You can blame Billie for that since his awesome acoustic version he produced for Welcome to my panic podcast was 1000x better than FOAM version. Go listen it if you haven't, those acoustic renditions are so good.

Between FOAM and Saviors they just decided to release their worst song ever. Legendary Here Comes the Shark. I'm gonna admit, this was the point where I saw Green Day being so out of touch with what their fans want. I of course now know that this track was just for NHL deal they made, but they didn't try with that track at all. Cocaine sniffing, most overused lyrics of all-time and chorus that just sucks. The most AI-generated Green Day song ever. Atleast the music video was refreshing. To this day I don't see anything good with that song. I guess instruments are kinda cool, but then I remember those vocals..

Saviors is their best album since Trilogy and it's not even close. Corvette Summer has became top 10 Green Day track and singles were so fucking good. This is what I'd call return to form. Awesome, high-energy tracks with questionable lyrics all over the place. I love it. This is what Green Day is for me. So much dumb fun. I'll save proper thoughts to album discussion thread, but I just had to mention how much I love this album.

After 15 years, I'm convinced that I will be a fan of this band for the rest of my life. I can go back and listen every single record (except RR) from start to finish and that's not something any other band can offer to me. Tomorrow I'm celebrating my birthday by listening all Trilogy albums from start to finish and enjoy few beers. Life is good with this band. Forever.

• Love 4

Nice! By the way, the movie credits you're talking about are from The Campaign.

“Loss of control” guitar chords is nearly identical as the pretenders “pack it up”.  Both great tunes 

1 minute ago, The Grohl said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! It was lovely to read. I also have a fondness for the Trilogy era because it's the first era was I was there for as you mentioned. I just joined the form, was very active in the fandom, and I was seeing my first Green Day concert the following year. Though I later saw them on the 2016 club (which is one of the best concerts I've ever been to), the 99 Revolutions tour is so special. Not only was it my first ever GD show, I got to hear these amazing Trilogy songs that they would later remove from the setlist. I mean they closed with Brutal Love! I think about that performance so freaking much. My show felt extra special too because it was the launch of the tour. You could tell Billie was happy and maybe a bit nervous to be on stage post rehab, but once he saw how the fans waited and embraced him with open arms he just had this look of joy on his face. I still remember his little speech during Letterbomb where he screamed "THIS IS IT! WE ARE ALIVE! WE ARE FUCKING ALIVEEEEEEE!" and thinking how much it must hit him considering what he'd just been through. What a great show.

Creativity was just off the charts during Trilogy era. They kept doing so many creative things to songs they haven't done since then.. off from top of my head Lady Cobra had extended outro, Stop When the Red Lights Flash had multiple different variations after solo with the best one being the most random switch to Fuck Time out of nowhere in early 99 Revolutions Tour, the coolest transition ever from 2000 Light Years Away to Brain Stew in Red 7 and so many other things I've forgotten since. I believe this was also the era where some fan could play guitar on She! Just perfection.

Your show sounds like a time of your life. I still appreciate they had balls to close out these shows without Good Riddance and honestly it wasn't needed. Brutal Love was perfect closer and 99 Revolutions was perfect opener.. so of course this band throws that logic out of window and never bothers to play those songs again. Sigh.

• Like 3

My apologies if I disrupt your topic, but have you ever mixed up song lyrics from another song?

I once thought "I can't stand your face" from You Irritate Me was from Prosthetic Head.

Haha now I’m hearing stop when the red lights flash in Joan Jett’s “the French song”:shok:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Just realised the chain/pendant Billie has been wearing says "Saviors"

bcfaee86e6fb0ae67b869ba613c1521a7897b058

Well spotted, I’ve spent ages trying to see it properly and read it. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Just realised the chain/pendant Billie has been wearing says "Saviors"

bcfaee86e6fb0ae67b869ba613c1521a7897b058

Thank you! I had been looking at it trying to figure out what sauters meant. 😄

• Like 1

My ringtone is now Strange Days Are Here to Stay 🤘

12 hours ago, Montclare said:

Walked past this the exact second the "children at play" line played in Coma City.

V36fa66.jpg

You just did a frame perfect. Congrats.

Bang bang was supposed to get into the mind of a school shooter, but Having a Blast on Dookie does a much better job of this, even though it’s not specifically about a school shooter.  

• Like 1

You know, I'm surprised Green Day didn't show up to the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards to perform, be interviewed, etc. Sure, we got the Stockholm performance at the show, but consider

- Green Day was the third most nominated act in the night with 8 nominations

- They had two songs very high up in the Top 40 from Dookie at the time

- They were pushing Insomniac

- And had a decently successful new single in Geek Stink Breath

Screenshot_20240313_183811_Chrome.thumb.png.f8049e4aadd9e71d79b9ad09afb2f079.png

• Like 2