Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

15 hours ago, lizziebix said:

I heard them play Dilemna twice yesterday.  The best station for GD, for sure!

Dang I haven’t heard them play Dilemma yet!  Im gonna listen more in the car now lol.  Something about hearing it on the radio and knowing others are listening to it too makes it sound better.  

Random thought: I’m a fan of Green Day, but don’t consider myself a fan of pop punk.  Not that Green Day fits into that pop punk category entirely.  

13 minutes ago, Robbie1039 said:

Dang I haven’t heard them play Dilemma yet!  Im gonna listen more in the car now lol.  Something about hearing it on the radio and knowing others are listening to it too makes it sound better.  

Random thought: I’m a fan of Green Day, but don’t consider myself a fan of pop punk.  Not that Green Day fits into that pop punk category entirely.  

I feel like post-American Idiot is pretty poppy compared to 1,000 Hours-American Idiot. American Idiot could have some poppy stuff, but I don't necessarily mind. 

Random thought: Letterbomb + Strange Days + 86 = A well-constructed song that represents three of God's favorite band's most important decades. (1990s due to Dookie, Tre joining and experimenting for Nimrod, 2000s due to American Idiot, recording BIAB and 21 Guns + Know Your Enemy, 2020s due to the 1972 teasers mostly and the return of former fans of the band)

I believe the 2010s were important as well, with the Trilogy, RevRad, Back in the USA and a string of secret shows.

2 hours ago, Robbie1039 said:

I’m the same. Green Day may have ushered in a pop punk era, but all those bands that came after them didn’t sound like them. They thought they were imitating them but it ended up creating something entirely different and then they stayed in that lane while Green Day by that time had already evolved to the next thing.  They were always better and creatively ahead of everyone else.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, The 99th revolution said:

Here's mine (+ promos):
1. Bobby Sox
2. Stuck with Me
3. The Saints are Coming
4. 86
5. Restless Heart Syndrome
6. Blood Sex and Booze
7. Warning
8. Dilemma
9. Peacemaker
10. Brain Stew/Jaded

Very awesome!  I must confess I'm not a big fan of warning or brainstew, but all the other ones  rule.  And as always, even my least favorites are darn good tunes - so those rock too!  

11 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Very awesome!  I must confess I'm not a big fan of warning or brainstew, but all the other ones  rule.  And as always, even my least favorites are darn good tunes - so those rock too!  

Every single by the band is good of course!

• Like 2

Guys, i just noticed my 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy cd is an enhanced cd.....oh man.  So cool!  

Pictures, live performances and best of all, punk rock flyers! 

I have an original Lookout pressing from the 1990s

• Love 1

I'm reading the biography The True Lives of My Chemical Romance right now and they mention Green Day couple of times and say really nice things about them (also while they toured together in 2005). And since Rob Cavallo produced The Black Parade and Danger Days there are also some very interesting insights about the recording process with him. Can totally recommend the book :)

• Like 2

American Idiot was my first GD CD, I got it mainly because my first time I listened to Green Day I think I only knew Holiday, AI, Boulevard and Brain Stew. 

12 minutes ago, The 99th revolution said:

American Idiot was my first GD CD, I got it mainly because my first time I listened to Green Day I think I only knew Holiday, AI, Boulevard and Brain Stew. 

It was my first too! Prior to this the only thing I knew about Green Day was the International Superhits commercial I saw once when I was young. My takeaway from the ad? "Those guys are weird." 

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

It was my first too! Prior to this the only thing I knew about Green Day was the International Superhits commercial I saw once when I was young. My takeaway from the ad? "Those guys are weird." 

You weren’t wrong 😂😂
I remember liking Dookie but thinking Billie looked a bit of a nasty little oik and then saw AI and remember thinking, “wait, that’s the same guy”!! 

• Haha 2

I had no knowledge of Green Day even when I first got into Holiday in June. Then I heard them on the alternative radio and thought "this sounds familiar" and looked for the song, had an accidental listen to Boulevard and found out the song was American Idiot.

• Like 1

What are your favorite deep cuts?

2 hours ago, The Grohl said:

The other day I listened to American Idiot from start to finish, which I haven't done in a long time. What an amazing album. Of course I know it's a good album, but something about listening to it again really struck me. The songs are damn near perfect. The performances are out of this world. It's absolutely fantastic. For a long time I could never decided if Dookie or AI was my favorite GD album and after that playthrough, it's definitely AI. I fell in love with it all over again! 

I still remember when I first got a copy of the album. My mom took me to Circuit City and I picked up two CDs: AI and Maroon 5's Songs about Jane. Out of the two, I never would've guessed that I would continue to follow Green Day 20 years later. 

How about Maroon 5? They are both a color AND number band....still like them?

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

No :lol: I will die on the hill that Songs About Jane is still a good album. But the rest of their output? It's pretty trash. I jumped the Maroon 5 ship around the time of their third or fourth album. Now I absolutely can't stand Adam Levine's dopey ass face. That face of his is so absurd :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Grohl said:

No :lol: I will die on the hill that Songs About Jane is still a good album. But the rest of their output? It's pretty trash. I jumped the Maroon 5 ship around the time of their third or fourth album. Now I absolutely can't stand Adam Levine's dopey ass face. That face of his is so absurd :lol:

Yeah, that album is good and a few other singles were okay, but man I tortured myself trying to listen to all their albums.  One of the worst color bands for sure.   

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

Yeah, that album is good and a few other singles were okay, but man I tortured myself trying to listen to all their albums.  One of the worst color bands for sure.   

I tried to keep up, but I think I quit Maroon 5 for good after V...maybe? After a while all their albums blend together.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, That Dude said:

My fav deep cuts:
1,039: Paper Lanterns or Green Day
Kerplunk: One of My Lies
Dookie: Burnout, Having a Blast
Insomniac: Armatage Shanks
Nimrod: Reject
Warning: Church on Sunday
AI: Letterbomb
21CB: Restless Heart Syndrome
Uno: Nuclear Family
Dos: Amy or Red Lights something
Tre: Dirty Rotten Bastards
Revolution Radio: Too Dumb to Die
Father of All: Sugar Youth
Saviors: Strange Days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

My fav deep cuts:
1,039: Paper Lanterns or Green Day
Kerplunk: One of My Lies
Dookie: Burnout, Having a Blast
Insomniac: Armatage Shanks
Nimrod: Reject
Warning: Church on Sunday
AI: Letterbomb
21CB: Restless Heart Syndrome
Uno: Nuclear Family
Dos: Amy or Red Lights something
Tre: Dirty Rotten Bastards
Revolution Radio: Too Dumb to Die
Father of All: Sugar Youth
Saviors: Strange Days

I've had the complete Green Day playlist on shuffle on Spotify and because I drive so far to work, went through every song in a few days.    They are all so good! 

• Like 1

I've got a list of Green Day songs that I'm trying to confirm to be fake.   Have you guys ever heard even a single note of the following songs? 

1.       A Boy Named Tre Cool

2.       Don’t Look Away

3.       Dream

4.       F!@# You

5.       Fell For Snoo

6.       Can’t Make Love

7.       I’ll Make You Surrender (Not the trilogy song)

8.       I’m a Loser

9.       Jezebel (not the trilogy song) 

10.   Let’s Party

11.   Miss July

12.   Mystery Girl (not the trilogy song)

13.   Rossini Finale

14.   Slayer Reprise

15.   Take Away My Heart

16.   Taringa!

17.   Too Young To Die (not Too Young from the American Idiot sessions or Too Dumb to Die)

18.   Trippin With Tre (Piano and drum solo)

19.   Walk Away (Not the Tre song OR the Cigerretes and Valentines song) 

20.   We’re

21.   What You Say

22.   Why Blink-182 Will Never Be As Good As Green Day

23.   With The Funky Rebels

24.   You Really Got a Hold On Me

25.   You’re Gonna Lose That Girl

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I've got a list of Green Day songs that I'm trying to confirm to be fake.   Have you guys ever heard even a single note of the following songs? 

1.       A Boy Named Tre Cool

2.       Don’t Look Away

3.       Dream

4.       F!@# You

5.       Fell For Snoo

6.       Can’t Make Love

7.       I’ll Make You Surrender (Not the trilogy song)

8.       I’m a Loser

9.       Jezebel (not the trilogy song) 

10.   Let’s Party

11.   Miss July

12.   Mystery Girl (not the trilogy song)

13.   Rossini Finale

14.   Slayer Reprise

15.   Take Away My Heart

16.   Taringa!

17.   Too Young To Die (not Too Young from the American Idiot sessions or Too Dumb to Die)

18.   Trippin With Tre (Piano and drum solo)

19.   Walk Away (Not the Tre song OR the Cigerretes and Valentines song) 

20.   We’re

21.   What You Say

22.   Why Blink-182 Will Never Be As Good As Green Day

23.   With The Funky Rebels

24.   You Really Got a Hold On Me

25.   You’re Gonna Lose That Girl

Don't Look Away is a working title for The Forgotten. Dream could mean the cover of Boudleaux Bryant's All I Have To Do Is Dream played in 1992 which was written as Dream in setlist.fm at some point. Fell For Snoo is a working title for Fell for You. I'll Make You Surrender is an alternate title for Red Lights something. Jezebel is an unreleased song from the trilogy sessions which could be Troublemaker. Walk Away could be the American Idiot song. What You Say was one of the fan-speculated titles for Stay. Too Young to Die is presumably a working title for Carpe Diem. I've heard of You Really Got a Hold On Me but I keep thinking of the Kinks song Van Halen covered. How did you get all these titles?

• Like 1

I like no.22, my favorite song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2