Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

On 1/20/2024 at 7:41 PM, stories and songs said:

We need the OEB guy on merch. I love that lil dude.

I have him as my phone wallpaper ;)

• Like 2

Got the People magazine today just for Billie's article. Can't remember the last time I bought a magazine, this was worth it :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cali89 said:

Got the People magazine today just for Billie's article. Can't remember the last time I bought a magazine, this was worth it :lol: 

Is he on the cover?

IIRC, Billie confirmed he doesn't like playing 21CB songs because it reminds him of the stressful times during recording or smth

• Like 1

I wonder if, now that he's in a pretty good head space (or it appears so), his feelings would change on that matter. Maybe he'd really enjoy playing those songs live again if he approached it from a better place. Or maybe not. Who am I to say? I hope he changes his feelings about that, though. He worked so, so hard on that album and I would argue it's second only to AI. It's a shame that he associates the record with all of the stress and personal hardship he went through more intensely than the pride in having created something so wonderful. But I get it if it's really difficult for him to unlink that in his mind. A lot of the times it feels like no matter what we'd prefer to do, our brains have other ideas and won't listen to reason.

• Like 4

Yeah I would want some 21CB in sets too but it's just in my dreams ;(

1 hour ago, Slave To The Network said:

I wonder if, now that he's in a pretty good head space (or it appears so), his feelings would change on that matter. Maybe he'd really enjoy playing those songs live again if he approached it from a better place. Or maybe not. Who am I to say? I hope he changes his feelings about that, though. He worked so, so hard on that album and I would argue it's second only to AI. It's a shame that he associates the record with all of the stress and personal hardship he went through more intensely than the pride in having created something so wonderful. But I get it if it's really difficult for him to unlink that in his mind. A lot of the times it feels like no matter what we'd prefer to do, our brains have other ideas and won't listen to reason.

It is important to note that it's not only Billie Joe who feels this way. Mike has said it on more recent interview (Rolling Stones or some other one) that 21st Century Breakdown was a miserable record to write and I do remember clearly how Billie acted during that tour. 2010 was not too kind for that man and his anti-technology (or anti-Steve Jobs) rant during American Idiot was just pinnacle of his meltdowns during that tour. He even threw guitar once at Tre because of how pissed off he was.

I fully understand why re-living all of that is hard. Not only it was ridiculously difficult record to write but all the shit that happened during it..

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:09 AM, Miko said:

It is important to note that it's not only Billie Joe who feels this way. Mike has said it on more recent interview (Rolling Stones or some other one) that 21st Century Breakdown was a miserable record to write and I do remember clearly how Billie acted during that tour. 2010 was not too kind for that man and his anti-technology (or anti-Steve Jobs) rant during American Idiot was just pinnacle of his meltdowns during that tour. He even threw guitar once at Tre because of how pissed off he was.

I fully understand why re-living all of that is hard. Not only it was ridiculously difficult record to write but all the shit that happened during it..

I suppose the same could be said for Mike and Tré, then. Maybe it's been enough time to recover somewhat from the trauma of that record to perform it. I noticed they added 21 Guns back to the setlist after like 10 years or so without it during Hella Mega, and KYE has been a staple. Maybe it's going to be baby steps with this one. I'm okay with however they need to approach this to be comfortable with it. I just hope it's sooner rather than later because I love this album so much.

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Slave To The Network said:

I suppose the same could be said for Mike and Tré, then. Maybe it's been enough time to recover somewhat from the trauma of that record to perform it. I noticed they added 21 Guns back to the setlist after like 10 years or so without it during Hella Mega, and KYE has been a staple. Maybe it's going to be baby steps with this one. I'm okay with however they need to approach this to be comfortable with it. I just hope it's sooner rather than later because I love this album so much.

More I think about it, less I think it's truly that hard to play some 21CB songs during shows. Know Your Enemy is of course the only song from 21CB to be played on every tour. 21 Guns was played occasionally during Revolution Radio Tour as part of acoustic encore and Murder City has been played sometimes aswell. Before the Lobotomy and Peacemaker made one-off return in 2013 in that disaster of a show that is called Dreamforce where PA system was blown out due to rain. In that same show 21st Century Breakdown was supposed to be brought back aswell. East Jesus Nowhere was part of their Australia tour in 2014, but is otherwise forgotten. Other songs to my knowledge have been completely abandoned.

Makes you wonder if in 2013 The Boys just decided to man up and play some of the songs from the record, but due to how disastrous that show was, they decided to bury the record again in to the sand. I think it's just a coincidence, but it would line up perfectly with their mixed thoughts regarding 21CB and seeing it as a sign that you know what, fuck this record.

I truly doubt we'll hear any of the forgotten songs again. 21st Century Breakdown, The Static Age and American Eulogy were all 21CB Tour staples but haven't been played even once since that tour. I'll give it fat zero chance that we'll ever hear Viva La Gloria (either song) or other deep cuts again.

Shame. It's a beautiful record.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Miko said:

More I think about it, less I think it's truly that hard to play some 21CB songs during shows. Know Your Enemy is of course the only song from 21CB to be played on every tour. 21 Guns was played occasionally during Revolution Radio Tour as part of acoustic encore and Murder City has been played sometimes aswell. Before the Lobotomy and Peacemaker made one-off return in 2013 in that disaster of a show that is called Dreamforce where PA system was blown out due to rain. In that same show 21st Century Breakdown was supposed to be brought back aswell. East Jesus Nowhere was part of their Australia tour in 2014, but is otherwise forgotten. Other songs to my knowledge have been completely abandoned.

Makes you wonder if in 2013 The Boys just decided to man up and play some of the songs from the record, but due to how disastrous that show was, they decided to bury the record again in to the sand. I think it's just a coincidence, but it would line up perfectly with their mixed thoughts regarding 21CB and seeing it as a sign that you know what, fuck this record.

I truly doubt we'll hear any of the forgotten songs again. 21st Century Breakdown, The Static Age and American Eulogy were all 21CB Tour staples but haven't been played even once since that tour. I'll give it fat zero chance that we'll ever hear Viva La Gloria (either song) or other deep cuts again.

Shame. It's a beautiful record.

You forgot about Last Night on Earth, which they busted out at the Spark Arena 2017 for Billie's mom, and then at two 2023 club shows. Viva la Gloria! was also played at Dreamforce, but only as a sound check.

15 minutes ago, The 99th revolution said:

You forgot about Last Night on Earth, which they busted out at the Spark Arena 2017 for Billie's mom, and then at two 2023 club shows. Viva la Gloria! was also played at Dreamforce, but only as a sound check.

Yup, never really thought about that song so it easily slipped out from my mind. Thanks for correcting that.

Viva La Gloria was played at Dreamforce soundcheck aswell? That's wild. They really loved 21CB specifically for that show.

14 minutes ago, Miko said:

Yup, never really thought about that song so it easily slipped out from my mind. Thanks for correcting that.

Viva La Gloria was played at Dreamforce soundcheck aswell? That's wild. They really loved 21CB specifically for that show.

https://www.greendayauthority.com/news/4617/ The soundcheck is noted on this GDA recap of the show. They also did Before the Lobotomy, Peacemaker and Wild One, most likely to memorize for their performance. But if that is the case, did they slate the title track of 21CB from the setlist before the soundcheck?

24 minutes ago, The 99th revolution said:

https://www.greendayauthority.com/news/4617/ The soundcheck is noted on this GDA recap of the show. They also did Before the Lobotomy, Peacemaker and Wild One, most likely to memorize for their performance. But if that is the case, did they slate the title track of 21CB from the setlist before the soundcheck?

Not sure exactly what you're asking but this was the OG setlist for Dreamforce that showcases 21st Century Breakdown being played before.. She? Interesting choice.

gvpm913avezy.png?auto=webp&s=c49927c3d79

5 minutes ago, Miko said:

Not sure exactly what you're asking but this was the OG setlist for Dreamforce that showcases 21st Century Breakdown being played before.. She? Interesting choice.

gvpm913avezy.png?auto=webp&s=c49927c3d79

I was asking if they changed their mind on 21st Century Breakdown being in the set before they actually started soundchecking or during.

1 minute ago, The 99th revolution said:

I was asking if they changed their mind on 21st Century Breakdown being in the set before they actually started soundchecking or during.

Ah, I understand now. I would theorize that they had fun during soundcheck and decided to throw 21st Century Breakdown to setlist without soundchecking it. After all, it's arguably records most epic song.

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

Spoiler, here's the whole damn alphabest!

Spoiler

American Eulogy
(The) Ballad of Wilhelm Fink
Church on Sunday (One of my favs!!)
Desensitized (DUN DUN DUN DUDUDU DUN) and Dilemma
Extraordinary Girl (Dude I wanted to say Emenius Sleepus)
Fell for You, Forever Someday (unreleased from an 89 show) and Forever Now
Goodnight Adeline and Good Riddance
Haha You're Dead, Homecoming, Hold On, Holy Toledo, Here Comes the Shock, Haushinka and Holiday
I Fought the Law, I Want to Be Alone, I Wanna be Alone, I Was a Teenager Teenager Teenager
Jaded, Jasket Case, Jestless Heart Jyndrome, Jill the KJ, Jesus of Suburbia
Kill the DJ
Letterbomb
Missing You
Nice Guys Finish Last, No One Kn- taking a ride to my old haunts 🗣️
Oh Girl (soundcheck song from 2010), Oh Love, Oh Yeah!, Oh No, Oh Boys, Oh Hey, In-Outlaws
Poprocks & Coke
(A) Quick One
Rusty James
(The) Saints are Coming
Too Dumb to Die, Thoughts of Smog and Slums (which I know LOL, it's an unreleased Corrupted Morals cover recorded for Dookie)
Uptight, Ugly Day (also know this, it's an unreleased and unsurfaced Nimrod song)
Viva la Gloria (both)
You take it, you worry, you worry... YOU WALK.. Worry Rock
Xmas Time of Year, X-Kid
You Lied, You Irritate Me, You Can't Fool Me, Youngblood
Blood, Sex and Booze, Lazy Bones, Desensitized, Razorbacks, Susie Chapztick, Zood, Zex and Zooze

By the way, when I was an anonymous lurker, I saw you did a whole list of unreleased GD songs, and your vid reminded me of that.

• Like 1