Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

13 hours ago, jengd said:

For me, without going to much into fangirl territory, I really have a thing for Billie’s look during 21St BD tour, particularly the red striped pants/black shirt with badges combo. I have liked all their looks, including (although initially surprised by) AI which has, of course, become iconic.  I also really liked the Foam look when I thought Billie and Mike particularly looked amazing.  

Me too!  I love his 21st CBD tour look, but also his AI, Rev Rad, Longshot, FOAM.  I think Rev Rad was especially amazing because they all looked so happy and relieved.

• Like 3

On 11/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, cav9mm said:

Here is a question?

What do you think Green Day’s peak era was in terms of style. My late mom used to frequently comment on how they had such a good sense of style and fashion.

What  era do you think they were best “turned out” or what era do you just like the way they dressed at that time ?

For me , The Nimrod era .  

w.jpg

green-day-90s-billboard-1548.jpg?resize=

This is the question I've been waiting for!

Definitively 2007, with the denim clothing and black and white polka dot scarves.  

Saints Are Coming / Simpsons / Working Class Hero are the greatest thing the guys have ever done and they did it in denim.

The new record should  be called Done It In Denim.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, cav9mm said:

Here is a question?

What do you think Green Day’s peak era was in terms of style. My late mom used to frequently comment on how they had such a good sense of style and fashion.

What  era do you think they were best “turned out” or what era do you just like the way they dressed at that time ?

w.jpg

Pre-Dookie era where Billie had the dreadlocks

7 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I'm a huge Super Mario 64 speedrunning fan on Twitch and someone's playing with a FOAM shirt. I can understand a Dookie one or a AI one. But FOAM is a first.
img%5D

bro its you

• Like 2

I am ranking all studio albums by Green Day, the Tubbies and The Network all in one list.  It's tough, and my takes are the hottest thing since molten lava.....

1.        American Idiot

2.        Nimrod

3.        Warning

4.       Money Money 2020 Part 1

5.       Stop, Drop and Roll

6.       Revolution Radio

7.        Dookie

8.        Uno

9.        Father of All…

10.   21st Century Breakdown

11.    Money Money 2020 We Told Ya So

12.    Tre

13.   Dos

14.    Insomniac

15.    39/Smooth

16.     Kerplunk

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 10:15 AM, cav9mm said:

Here is a question?

w.jpg

I also really like the Nimrod era. The photoshoots are iconic, their style was on point, and I love how Billie looks in the music videos. (Yes even Good Riddance, even tho he hurt his mouth the day before)

I also love how they look during Warning era, especially how Billie looked in the Waiting music video, with the denim jacket. There are some polaroids that were taken on the set of him that are some of my all-time fave pics of his.

Also, honestly, this transitional/pre-1972 Era. They all look great but again, Billie looks amazing. So glad he's finally embracing his natural salt and pepper hair now. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 11:24 PM, That Dude said:

I am ranking all studio albums by Green Day, the Tubbies and The Network all in one list.  It's tough, and my takes are the hottest thing since molten lava.....

1.        American Idiot

2.        Nimrod

3.        Warning

4.       Money Money 2020 Part 1

5.       Stop, Drop and Roll

6.       Revolution Radio

7.        Dookie

8.        Uno

9.        Father of All…

11.    Money Money 2020 We Told Ya So

12.    Tre

13.   Dos

14.    Insomniac

15.    39/Smooth

16.     Kerplunk

Respect, a really cool list. I'm sure album position numbers will vary from each GD fan for many individual reasons, maybe emotional vs quality, which is cool.

As I've said before, for emotional reasons, I'd have to promote Kerplunk to first please, as the album's release started my GD journey. 39/Smooth second. I'd promote Insomniac also behind Warning. It's so difficult ranking GD coz they are so good, always.

• Like 1

Just finished the writing stage of my deep dive on Jason White video, and learned a lot during researching.

On his podcast interview, he was asked if he had any say on his level of involvement with Green Day, because the interviewer had been a touring guitarist for his friends Portugal The Man, and they were hesitant to hire friends full time because so many friends hadn't worked out.

I loved Jason's response to this.  He said he's not the best guitar player Green Day could get.  He was asked to do it because he WAS such good friends with Billie, and that he has grown closer with the other guys over the years.

And as for being "the fourth", he said he never really was an official member.  It's always gonna be Billie, Mike, Tre. That the trilogy simply required more of a live recording style than the other records, and he allowed the recording to go faster. 

What a cool cat.  Possibly smoother than Dirnty himself.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

Just finished the writing stage of my deep dive on Jason White video, and learned a lot during researching.

On his podcast interview, he was asked if he had any say on his level of involvement with Green Day, because the interviewer had been a touring guitarist for his friends Portugal The Man, and they were hesitant to hire friends full time because so many friends hadn't worked out.

I loved Jason's response to this.  He said he's not the best guitar player Green Day could get.  He was asked to do it because he WAS such good friends with Billie, and that he has grown closer with the other guys over the years.

And as for being "the fourth", he said he never really was an official member.  It's always gonna be Billie, Mike, Tre. That the trilogy simply required more of a live recording style than the other records, and he allowed the recording to go faster. 

What a cool cat.  Possibly smoother than Dirnty himself.

As you say he's a long time friend of Billie Joe. If my memory serves me right Jason was the guy with the girl going to house occupied by old guy in wheelchair in video When I Come Around? Always admired his guitar playing adding to band's sound at live shows as support lead guitarist. And at live sessions like AOL in 2004

Still I considered him unofficial 4th member of band. Super cool guy.

Joined PG in 1994 for Carry the Banner album to replace Mike Kersch who left sadly as GD had signed to major label to release Dookie 

Edited by pcj
Additional thought
  • Like 2

Cherry spice and everything nice wasn't made for only girls :whistle

On 11/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

One of my singular favorite looks of theirs was the way they dressed in the When I Come Around video.  Billie's thrift store sweater and Dickies, Mike's bondage belt and punk hair, they all look laid back, cool and amazing.

I love their style on American Idiot and also on Walking Contradiction clip, especially Billie. That beard is quite a charm.

• Like 1

I tried to imagine the most ridiculous album ranking possible for Green Day.   Is there anyone on the planet that ranks Green Day in this way?   I don't think so, Tim. 

1.       Father of All…  (best album)

2.       Dos

3.       Tre

4.       Uno

5.       Warning

6.       Insomniac

7.       Revolution Radio

8.       39/Smooth

9.       Kerplunk

11.   Nimrod

12.   American Idiot

13.   Dookie  (worst album)  

Listeing to "The Saints Are Coming" on Spotify.   The live version, because it is the meaning of life.   

Anyway, Spotify is as bad at lyrics at the Rev Rad booklet because it says that Bono sings "Trump On Shorty" when he is clearly references Trombone Shorty.  

Oh my.  

Trump on Shorty.     What the freak.   Trump on Shorty.   Give me a break.   You gotta be kidding me.  gotta be kidding me.     Trump on shorty.    

• Haha 2

I ranked the songs of American Idiot as a warm up to ranking EVERY SONG.  Oh boy, I'ma end up with blood shot eyes...Let me know your Idiot ranking.

Letterbomb
Holiday
Jesus of Suburbia
American Idiot
Wake Me Up When September Ends
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Whatshername
Extraordinary Girl
Homecoming
Give me novocaine
She is a Rebel
Are we the waiting
St. Jimmy

6 hours ago, That Dude said:

I ranked the songs of American Idiot as a warm up to ranking EVERY SONG.  Oh boy, I'ma end up with blood shot eyes...Let me know your Idiot ranking.

Letterbomb
Holiday
Jesus of Suburbia
American Idiot
Whatshername
Extraordinary Girl
Homecoming
Give me novocaine
She is a Rebel
Are we the waiting
St. Jimmy

Wow! Every song? That's gonna be well hard mate.

I've been scratching head with just this album, holy shit this is my 5th go, here goes.

Holiday.

Whatshername.

American Idiot.

Give Me Novocaine.

She's A Rebel.

Jesus of Suberbia.

Homecoming.

St. Jimmy.

Extraordinary Girl.

Wake Me Up When September Ends.

Are We The Waiting.

Letterbomb.

Awe shit, I'm going back to play the album again. I may be back and edit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcj said:

Wow! Every song? That's gonna be well hard mate.

I've been scratching head with just this album, holy shit this is my 5th go, here goes.

Holiday.

Whatshername.

American Idiot.

Give Me Novocaine.

She's A Rebel.

Jesus of Suberbia.

Homecoming.

St. Jimmy.

Extraordinary Girl.

Wake Me Up When September Ends.

Are We The Waiting.

Letterbomb.

Awe shit, I'm going back to play the album again. I may be back and edit.

It's extremely hard to rank the Idiot songs, right?  I kept feeling a bit basic having the single so high up, but gosh darn they are incredible.   The only song that isn't aging well for me is St. Jimmy.   I actually sick of him, lol.    All the other ones are absolute gold.  

Yeah, I don't know if every green day song ever is possible to rank.   I've got my Top 60, I believe and that list took FOREVER to figure out.   

17 minutes ago, That Dude said:

It's extremely hard to rank the Idiot songs, right?  I kept feeling a bit basic having the single so high up, but gosh darn they are incredible.   The only song that isn't aging well for me is St. Jimmy.   I actually sick of him, lol.    All the other ones are absolute gold.  

Yeah, I don't know if every green day song ever is possible to rank.   I've got my Top 60, I believe and that list took FOREVER to figure out.   

All songs from studio albums, all side projects, covers and unreleased demos. Only about 300+, no prob's. End of the week ok.🤩

• Like 1

Listening to American Idiot today and noticed something for the first time. 

In Nobody Likes You, the word "go" is echoed. 

and then in Whatshername, the word "go" is also echoed.   

Have I just made the coolest discovery of all time or what?  

Should this be turned into a 90 minute YouTube video?  

3 hours ago, pcj said:

All songs from studio albums, all side projects, covers and unreleased demos. Only about 300+, no prob's. End of the week ok.🤩

November 20th.   I'll sit here until then.   

And I want the fictional songs in there as well.    Every fake tracklisting, every joke-song Tre cool has muttered to himself while buying ugli fruit at Trader Joes. 

That song Mike is humming in the shower right now. 

I actually do plan on trying it, but they do have an excessive amount of music, lol.   Maybe studio albums, but gosh darn Shenanigans is better than most of their discography.   and some of the live cuts are better than the studio versions.   Green Day really make everything difficult.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, That Dude said:

Letterbomb
Holiday
Jesus of Suburbia
American Idiot
Whatshername
Extraordinary Girl
Homecoming
Give me novocaine
She is a Rebel
Are we the waiting
St. Jimmy

Ranking every song is a challenge I might accept while procrastinating (and it's a fun idea so you should make a thread for it!), but for now:

• Homecoming
  • Letterbomb (the only reason this isn't #1 is because I've overplayed it)
  • Whatsername
  • Jesus of Suburbia
  • She's a Rebel
  • Are We the Waiting
  • Give Me Novacaine
  • Wake Me Up When September Ends
  • American Idiot
  • St. Jimmy
  • Boulevard of Broken Dreams (would be higher if I hadn't heard it 3243490090435845 times)
  • Holiday (would also be much higher if I hadn't heard it 3243490090435845 times)
  • Extraordinary Girl
  • Like 3
  • Love 1