Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

He didn't run out of ideas. He just decided to write songs about things in his life that aren't so serious. Fuck time is so awesome for this same reason. It's simple.

"I wanna choke you till you're blue in the face"? honestly? Simple maybe, but represents exactly what I usually hate in rock lyrics. I have no problems with the subject of the song but that one sentence is kinda horrible in many ways.

• Like 1

"I wanna choke you till you're blue in the face"? honestly? Simple maybe, but represents exactly what I usually hate in rock lyrics. I have no problems with the subject of the song but that one sentence is kinda horrible in many ways.

I think it's a joke and this sentence is supposed to represent this kind of rock lyrics. It's so horrible that it must have been done intentionally. It's probably the same case as the infamous bleeding line in Drama Queen, which doesn't justify either of them of course :D.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Green Day go that harder rock kinda route. Kinda like Holiday, Restless Heart Syndrome, outro of Boulevard etc,

• Like 1

I actually agree that he didn't run out of ideas. It's just that the ideas he came up with didn't leave much room for any of his trademark wit or intelligence. If it was meant to be a parody it was terribly executed.

• Like 1

I think it's because the song is a parody of old 60's songs where everyone knew the bands were really singing about sex but there was never actually anything explicit in the lyrics. In Fuck Time he does the opposite, being totally explicit, but still with that old fashioned guitar and melody and "baby, baby". I think having a line as explicit and vulgar as "I wanna choke you til you're blue in the face" in there is to have as extreme a contrast as possible with the coy lyrics that similar sounding old songs would have. It's just part of the parody.

• Like 2

I think it's because the song is a parody of old 60's songs where everyone knew the bands were really singing about sex but there was never actually anything explicit in the lyrics. In Fuck Time he does the opposite, being totally explicit, but still with that old fashioned guitar and melody and "baby, baby". I think having a line as explicit and vulgar as "I wanna choke you til you're blue in the face" in there is to have as extreme a contrast as possible with the coy lyrics that similar sounding old songs would have. It's just part of the parody.

Yes, I have alwayd doubted it is a parody, at least partly, but parody or not, that doesn't make any difference. See, whilst listening to it, I don't see anything funny in it, no, to me it sounds perfectly like some obnoxious vulgar lyrics that weren't meant to be a joke at all, for example like those that Kiss used to write.

And if one doesn't get the joke without knowing the context, it doesn't really work, and many people seem to take it seriously which actually is kinda alarming. Parody, or not, I dislike the lyrics. It could work without that one line as well and still fulfill that purpose you talked about.

• Like 2

Yes, I have alwayd doubted it is a parody, at least partly, but parody or not, that doesn't make any difference. See, whilst listening to it, I don't see anything funny in it, no, to me it sounds perfectly like some obnoxious vulgar lyrics that weren't meant to be a joke at all, for example like those that Kiss used to write.

And if one doesn't get the joke without knowing the context, it doesn't really work, and many people seem to take it seriously which actually is kinda alarming. Parody, or not, I dislike the lyrics. It could work without that one line as well and still fulfill that purpose you talked about.

I find it pretty clear that it's a parody, the chorus screams it with that fun guitar/melody straight out of a classic rock and roll song paired with "oh baby baby it's fuck time". Knowing that the song was originally written as a joke to amuse the AI musical cast at a Foxboro show confirms it but I think it still comes across as a joke without knowing that.

• Like 1

Those of you who have played Nice Guys Finish Last on Green Day rock band, have you ever noticed how on the second chorus after Billie Joe says the line "never knew you were such a funny guy", he bangs on his head with his fists? I noticed thet a while ago and thought it was pretty funny. I just wondered who else had seen it.?????

Those of you who have played Nice Guys Finish Last on Green Day rock band, have you ever noticed how on the second chorus after Billie Joe says the line "never knew you were such a funny guy", he bangs on his head with his fists? I noticed thet a while ago and thought it was pretty funny. I just wondered who else had seen it.

Nice Guys Finish Last on GD Rockband sucks. I didn't know the song before I got the game, and the giant pause in the chorus always screwed me up so bad. I never knew there was supposed to be a "fucking" there until after I got into Nimrod. :P

• Like 1

Jingle bells, Billie smells, Tre Cool laid an egg, Jason Freese cut the cheese and Matika got away.

Lmao! Now every time i hear jinle bells at christmastime, i will think of this??

• Like 1

Those of you who have played Nice Guys Finish Last on Green Day rock band, have you ever noticed how on the second chorus after Billie Joe says the line "never knew you were such a funny guy", he bangs on his head with his fists? I noticed thet a while ago and thought it was pretty funny. I just wondered who else had seen it.?????

I never notice any of the animation because I'm concentrating on looking at the notes too much. But I need to have a look at this :lol:

Nice Guys Finish Last on GD Rockband sucks. I didn't know the song before I got the game, and the giant pause in the chorus always screwed me up so bad. I never knew there was supposed to be a "fucking" there until after I got into Nimrod. :P

Haha! Because they're cut out and not written on the screen I always find it's really awkward singing the swear words in songs on Rockband/Guitar Hero. Worse just leaving a gap and not singing them though so I still do it.

I saw this earlier on. It looks like the guy's got a pretty good handle on how Billie solos and he creates a pretty cool-sounding solo out of it.

• Like 4

I saw this earlier on. It looks like the guy's got a pretty good handle on how Billie solos and he creates a pretty cool-sounding solo out of it.

That's awesome, thanks for sharing! You could also replace Billie's name with Chuck Berry and it wouldn't lose any validity.

• Like 1

That's awesome, thanks for sharing! You could also replace Billie's name with Chuck Berry and it wouldn't lose any validity.

It is unbelievable how big his influence on guitarists is still. Even though they may not even know it, it is bloody hard to play a rock guitar solo with no Chuck Berry influences. They are everywhere.

• Like 1

It was the other way around though. It was meant to be creepy but many people consider it romantic.

Anyway, the individual interpretion of art should be valued the most, so I shall continue thinking Poprocks and Coke as a creepy song :P

As a random sidenote, as someone who is not very aware of American sweets, I just recently got the word play in the title of that song :lol:

I don't know how can this be a creepy song. Poprocks aren't just Murican, they can be found in the rest of a world

I don't know how can this be a creepy song. Poprocks aren't just Murican, they can be found in the rest of a world

A lot of the lyrics kind of sound like a stalker talking to their victim:

Wherever you go

You know I’ll be there
If you go far,
You know I’ll be there
I’ll go anywhere,
So I’ll see you there
You place the name
You know I’ll be there
You name the time
You know I’ll be there
I’ll go anywhere
So I’ll see you there
I don’t care if you don’t mind

I’ll be there not far behind

Obviously the rest of the lyrics show that it's not about stalking someone, but about being there to support someone, but out of context they can sound creepy.

Also I know you can get sweets like that around the world but they're not always called "poprocks", they're not usually called that in the UK for example. The song title is actually referring to an (untrue) American urban legend that if you eat poprocks and drink Coca Cola/Coke at the same time it could make your stomach explode. Not quite sure why it's named after that though :lol:

Could refer to the intensity of his love which makes him feel like he's gonna explode. Dunno.

Yeah could be! A more extreme version of "butterflies in the stomach"

• Like 1

A lot of the lyrics kind of sound like a stalker talking to their victim:

Wherever you go

You know I’ll be there
If you go far,
You know I’ll be there
I’ll go anywhere,
So I’ll see you there
You place the name
You know I’ll be there
You name the time
You know I’ll be there
I’ll go anywhere
So I’ll see you there
I don’t care if you don’t mind

I’ll be there not far behind

Obviously the rest of the lyrics show that it's not about stalking someone, but about being there to support someone, but out of context they can sound creepy.

Also I know you can get sweets like that around the world but they're not always called "poprocks", they're not usually called that in the UK for example. The song title is actually referring to an (untrue) American urban legend that if you eat poprocks and drink Coca Cola/Coke at the same time it could make your stomach explode. Not quite sure why it's named after that though :lol:

But she names the time, so that means It's not about stalking.

Yeah, I don't know how we call poprocks here, but, when we're here, about urban legends stuff, they actually could write "Sprite & Banana".

But she names the time, so that means It's not about stalking.

Perhaps she didn't tell the narrator the time directly/he overhears her say the time and he makes sure he is there when she is.

The only thing I can't place is the double stops. Does Billie use loads of those in solos?

Yeah could be! A more extreme version of "butterflies in the stomach"

"Exploding Butterflies in My Stomach"
  • Like 1

The only thing I can't place is the double stops. Does Billie use loads of those in solos?

Yeah, most notably in the Razorbacks solo but there's also The Grouch, She's A Rebel, Pulling Teeth, maybe Fuck Time, and quite a few on the first two albums.

• Like 2

Perhaps she didn't tell the narrator the time directly/he overhears her say the time and he makes sure he is there when she is.

Well, you've won this one.

• Like 1