Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

According to the Finnish Wikipedia, Warning (the album) should be spelt as Warning: (sic) and Nimrod should be spelt as nimrod. (sic).

We have been doing it wrong :o

According to the Finnish Wikipedia, Warning (the album) should be spelt as Warning: (sic) and Nimrod should be spelt as nimrod. (sic).

We have been doing it wrong :o

I usually do the period after Nimrod. I tried the Warning colon but it just looks bad. :P

• Like 1

Calling them Warning: and nimrod. would probably be the most pointless thing ever :lol:

I've genuinely never even noticed it!

"On Warning: Green Day continued the stylistic experimentation they had begun on nimrod. , and so foretold the even greater stylistic leap that was yet to come."

Thats sounds very odd, I admit

Wouldn't that also mean we would have to put Kerplunk in all caps?

Apparently no. Seems like the size of the letters doesn't matter :lol: Never again shall I wander into the wasteland of Finnish Wikipedia, I tell ya.

Apparently no. Seems like the size of the letters doesn't matter :lol: Never again shall I wonder into the wasteland of Finnish Wikipedia, I tell ya.

well that basically answers everything, I mean, it's Wikipedia

Just been thinking lately about it, and I'm really disappointed that they don't play Walking Contradiction live anymore. It's a great song live, especially since they up the tempo when they play live.

• Like 1

You know you spend too much time on GDC when you tell someone their cooking is demolicious without even thinking about it.

OMG so much this :cry: (and that's kinda creepy, actually)

So I was listening to those unreleased songs from the early (Sweet Children + EPs) days. That about 99.98% of Billie's earliest songs were about girls had never hit me so hard. :D

So I was listening to those unreleased songs from the early (Sweet Children + EPs) days. That about 99.98% of Billie's earliest songs were about girls had never hit me so hard. :D

And 99.98% of his most recent songs, too. :P Regression much?

• Like 1

^I'm not saying that songs about girls are bad, just that writing a whole record of them when you'd previously explored other themes too is unfortunate.

• Like 1

^I'm not saying that songs about girls are bad, just that writing a whole record of them when you'd previously explored other themes too is unfortunate.

Fair point :P

Fair point :P

Haushinka was from 92 anyways, so that's not a strong example of a middle-Green Day song about girls :P
  • Like 1

Haushinka was from 92 anyways, so that's not a strong example of a middle-Green Day song about girls :P

Oh damn, yeah. I omitted Good Riddance for the same reason, I should have thought. Not feeling like such a smartass now.
  • Like 1

It's hardly a whole record about girls (especially if you're talking about all 3 installments). And even the songs that are about them are entirely different from their early songs about them. Don't really see how it's unfortunate to write about them when they did so in a totally different way from before.

I just love the fact that some GD songs are easy enough for me to play along.. And It's sooo much fun.

Yeah, it's really satisfying for me to be able to play along to songs - a lot of the first stuff I learnt on guitar was GD and some of them are simple enough for me to sing and play as well, which I usually find hella diffcult

It's hardly a whole record about girls (especially if you're talking about all 3 installments). And even the songs that are about them are entirely different from their early songs about them. Don't really see how it's unfortunate to write about them when they did so in a totally different way from before.

I was referring to the Trilogy in general but more specifically to Dos (as you're right and Uno and Tre aren't all about the subject). And it's unfortunate in that the totally different way is both more immature than the previous way (all about sex) and more demeaning of women than the previous way (compare nearly any song off Dos to "She" or "Maria").

• Like 1

I was referring to the Trilogy in general but more specifically to Dos (as you're right and Uno and Tre aren't all about the subject). And it's unfortunate in that the totally different way is both more immature than the previous way (all about sex) and more demeaning of women than the previous way (compare nearly any song off Dos to "She" or "Maria").

Especially Lady Cobra (I almost wrote Lady Nightlife, whoops)
  • Like 2

I don't find them demeaning to women, the male and female characters are similar (each up for having a good time with the other). He talks about both men and women partying and drinking and sleeping around etc on these albums and talked about both men and women doing more noble things in previous albums, seems pretty equal between the sexes to me.

I neglected to mention Maria earlier because it's not about a woman :P
  • Like 1

I neglected to mention Maria earlier because it's not about a woman :P

It has multiple layers. :P

After several months, I listened to 21st Century Breakdown in full again last night. It was a sort of mystic experience for me. I mean, I was shocked by how huge was the impact the record had to me; I just turned the lights out, closed my eyes and focused my attention on what the album tries to tell and on what Billie was thinking when he wrote the lyrics.

Beside the fact that the story is amazing because of how simple and engaging it is, the real thing to me is that everyone can build his own imaginary castle on the solid basis the story gives us. I'm not going to tell you the paths my imagination went through last night, cause it would be boring and pointless, but I felt more or less like this through the album: full of anger and revolution desire from 21CB to Peacemaker/LOTAG, then sad and resigned from Murder City to 21 Guns, and then again full of hope and responsibility in American Eulogy and See The Light.

I cried during Restless Heart Syndrome.

No need to say that it gave me chills from the first song to the last, even though I listened to those songs hundreds of times now. I used to think American Idiot was way better, but I really don't know now. The great production which makes the songs epic, Billie's voice in certain parts and especially the choice of words he did (which is perfect, the album is without a doubt one of the best lyrically) made me think for a while about 21st Century Breakdown as their best album. I know for sure it makes your imagination have a blast like no other thing they have recorded.

I'm sorry for the length, it was an experience I really wanted to share with you :)

• Like 4