Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I cannot understand how people use to say how Billie sounds like he was from England. He sounds fairly American to me.

Yeah he does sound American. But when he sings there's sometimes some English elements to his accent (even though it still sounds American overall), just some of the vowel sounds and dropped h's. It'll be the influence of English punk singers that caused it, a "punk" singing voice will often naturally sound a bit English due to a lot of the most influencial early punk bands singing with that accent.

• Like 1

Yeah he does sound American. But when he sings there's sometimes some English elements to his accent (even though it still sounds American overall), just some of the vowel sounds and dropped h's. It'll be the influence of English punk singers that caused it, a "punk" singing voice will often naturally sound a bit English due to a lot of the most influencial early punk bands singing with that accent.

Yes and that British influence can only be noticed in his singing I suppose. But that makes perfect sense.

But to me for example even Joey Ramone sounds more British than Billie. But I am not a native or an expert of dialects or accents so I don't know really :P

• Like 1

Yes and that British influence can only be noticed in his singing I suppose. But that makes perfect sense.

But to me for example even Joey Ramone sounds more British than Billie. But I am nit a native or an expert of dialects or accents so I don't know really :P

Yeah I think Joey Ramone sounds a bit English when he sings as well, for pretty much the same reasons (vowels and dropped h's). Maybe just the fact that Billie's singing is generally more clear makes it more noticeable to people.

Yeah I think Joey Ramone sounds a bit English when he sings as well, for pretty much the same reasons (vowels and dropped h's). Maybe just the fact that Billie's singing is generally more clear makes it more noticeable to people.

I don't know, maybe things like dropped h's make it easier to sing quickly, like often required in punk rock. Also, of course, Sex Pistols and Buzzocks were British so that also influenses Americans' singing.

Though these are funny things. Like many British singers in the sixties were trying to imitate their american idols by singing with accent that tried to sound like American (and black american often).

The another funny thing is also to notice how many people's accents change a lot when they start to sing.

Like in Billie's speech theres no traces of British accent whatsoever. And Joey Ramone sounded basically just like someone from New York when speaking (which is what he, of course, was.)

Or an older example. The Beatles' members (I am sorry I mention them but they just came to my mind first) spoke pretty much Scouse, especially George. Just listen to those early interviews.

When they sang, however, their pronunciation was much more "standard" and sometimes even have traces of Americanisms.

But this is getting very off-topic and these are just random thoughts so they can as well bw bloody wrong :P

Joey Ramone? Bit of English? Oh, please. The only ones that really sound English are Futureheads.

Joey Ramone? Bit of English? Oh, please. The only ones that really sound English are Futureheads.

'EY OH LET'S GO sounds pretty English. Anyway I'm not saying he "really" sounds English, there's just some small English sounding elements to his and a lot of other American punk singers' singing.

I did not mean he sounds like a true Englishman would but his dropped h's really remind me of the Cockney accent. And some other features too. Also it must be noted there is not such a thing as "British Accent" in reality. Many dialects rather. I would say. But I'm not an expert or I don't really know that much about English since I have enough problems with trying to speak it :P

by no means I wanna start a fight about English accents. I just pointed out what I thought.

My point was that EVEN he sounds more British than Billie.

Yeah, the London accent (I know there are different forms of that, but I can't remember the specific area) tends to filter somewhat into punk - it's probably a Sex Pistols influence.

I was reading dat dudes signature ^

and just remembered how fucking weird Live Freaky Die Freaky is and the fact i watched it when I was like 12

• Like 1

I did not mean he sounds like a true Englishman would but his dropped h's really remind me of the Cockney accent. And some other features too. Also it must be noted there is not such a thing as "British Accent" in reality. Many dialects rather. I would say. But I'm not an expert or I don't really know that much about English since I have enough problems with trying to speak it :P

by no means I wanna start a fight about English accents. I just pointed out what I thought.

My point was that EVEN he sounds more British than Billie.

English accents war. It would become second weirdest.

After Ice Cream war, of course.

English accents war. It would become second weirdest.

After Ice Cream war, of course.

The Youtube comment section , the starting place of all the weirdest wars.

in all honesty, I have never heard of the Ice Cream war.

The difference between Billie's stage voice vs his talking voice never fails to amuse me. Bullet in a Bible is so funny. He's on stage belting out these really emotive, liberating speeches like they're coming out of a spartan general and then in the interview scenes he turns into a 17 year-old.

Oh my god yes :lol:. I remember when all I'd seen of him was Storytellers (so just singing and normal talking) and then saw footage of a bigger show for the first time, I was quite taken aback by his growly shouty big show voice.

• Like 1

The difference between Billie's stage voice vs his talking voice never fails to amuse me. Bullet in a Bible is so funny. He's on stage belting out these really emotive, liberating speeches like they're coming out of a spartan general and then in the interview scenes he turns into a 17 year-old.

His awkward interviews are wonderful. :3

Makes me wonder what it'd be like to interview him... Not that I'd ever get the chance... But I can dream, right? :happy:

I'd LOVE to interview him one day. Although I'd probably get really messy and thankful towards the end and ruin my professional composure. :lol:

"So Billie, how does it feel to be the most beautiful, perfect frontman to ever grace the presence of the universe?"

tumblr_mhlsktdlst1rcs49eo2_500_large_by_

• Like 4

His awkward interviews are wonderful. :3

Makes me wonder what it'd be like to interview him... Not that I'd ever get the chance... But I can dream, right? :happy:

Billie Joe: umm y'know?. . . . It's kinda like umm something like y'know?. . . . Or maybe y'know? something else. . . . But y'know? I don't really know y'know?

me: yes Billie I do know. :D

You are perfect

I miss listening to Dookie and I got to listen to it after a long time today. Mmmmm yes.

I started listening to it today cause I missed it too, but I only got up to Longview and I had to leave
  • Like 1

I started listening to it today cause I missed it too, but I only got up to Longview and I had to leave

To be fair that's the best time to have to leave.

To be fair that's the best time to have to leave.

I disagree with that I fucking love dookie I just think that you can skip some of the songs and listen to the ones further back I've kind of grown apart from WTP,Longview, Basket Case,and FOD, ( don't judge me )

I disagree with that I fucking love dookie I just think that you can skip some of the songs and listen to the ones further back I've kind of grown apart from WTP,Longview, Basket Case,and FOD, ( don't judge me )

I just meant my mind tends to wander during Longview. Nothing wrong with the rest of the album.

• Like 1

I just meant my mind tends to wander during Longview. Nothing wrong with the rest of the album.

:lol:

Last night, I was riding in my dad's jeep with him, and the windows were down, the breeze felt great, the scent of charcoal filled my nose as we were driving through neighborhoods, and When I Come Around came on the radio. I thought to myself "We could get in a horrible car accident right now, I could die, and I'm perfectly okay with that". All of my senses were being positively stimulated, and I just felt great. It was awesome :P

• Like 4

Last night, I was riding in my dad's jeep with him, and the windows were down, the breeze felt great, the scent of charcoal filled my nose as we were driving through neighborhoods, and When I Come Around came on the radio. I thought to myself "We could get in a horrible car accident right now, I could die, and I'm perfectly okay with that". All of my senses were being positively stimulated, and I just felt great. It was awesome :P

:) except for the car accident bit ;)

• Like 1