Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

If you had to erase 1 song from every Green Day album, which songs would you pick?

Edit: By erase I mean completely wipe from existence!

Edited by Jaded in Chicago
  • Like 2

If you had to erase 1 song from every Green Day album, which songs would you pick?

39/Smooth: I Was There

Kerplunk: Dominated Love Slave

Dookie: All By Myself (Does that count?)

Insomniac: Brat

Nimrod: Last Ride In

Warning: Hold On

American Idiot: Boulevard of Broken Dreams

21st Century Breakdown: Know Your Enemy (Easy)

¡Uno!: Carpe Diem

¡Dos!: Fuck Time

¡Tré!: The Forgotten

Note: The only songs here I actually dislike are Know Your Enemy, I Was There, and The Forgotten. The others are pretty much just my least favorite from its album (Except Last Ride In, I just can't make myself wipe Walking Alone from existence).

39/Smooth: I Was ThereKerplunk: Dominated Love SlaveDookie: All By Myself (Does that count?)Insomniac: BratNimrod: Last Ride InWarning: Hold OnAmerican Idiot: Boulevard of Broken Dreams21st Century Breakdown: Know Your Enemy (Easy)¡Uno!: Carpe Diem

¡Dos!: Fuck Time

¡Tré!: The Forgotten

Note: The only songs here I actually dislike are Know Your Enemy, I Was There, and The Forgotten. The others are pretty much just my least favorite from its album (Except Last Ride In, I just can't make myself wipe Walking Alone from existence).

Brat, last ride in, hold on (my fav from album), BOBD - I don't get it - wiped really.

1039 Smoothed Oyt Slappy Hours: Green Day

Kerplunk: Private Ale (though it's still good)

Dookie: In the End (just kinda redundant)

Insomniac: Jaded (filler)

Nimrod: Take Back (too ugly)

Warning: Warning (ripp-off and melodically weak)

American Idiot: Wake Me Up When September Ends (though I love it)

21st Century Breakdown: Do You Know Your Enemy (too generic and boring)

Uno: Troublemaker

Dos: Nightlife

Tre: Drama Queen

Btw I love The Forgotten :S though I admit it's lyrically bad. But those melodies are fine.

Brat, last ride in, hold on (my fav from album), BOBD - I don't get it - wiped really.

I only chose those songs because I had to choose one from each album. The only ones there I dislike are Know Your Enemy, I Was There, and The Forgotten.

Btw I love The Forgotten :S though I admit it's lyrically bad. But those melodies are fine.

The lyrics just ruin it for me. It's fine otherwise, for the most part.

• Like 1

Rest, Dominated Love Slave, Longview, Tight Wad Hill, Nice Guys Finish Last, Fashion Victim, She's A Rebel, Christian's Inferno, Loss Of Control, Wild One, Little Boy Named Train.

Probably some controversial choices there. Maybe this would be better off in Unpopular Opinions.

The lyrics just ruin it for me. It's fine otherwise, for the most part.

That's the advantage of not having English as your first language. I can easily just forget lyrics.

Rest, Dominated Love Slave, Longview, Tight Wad Hill, Nice Guys Finish Last, Fashion Victim, She's A Rebel, Christian's Inferno, Loss Of Control, Wild One, Little Boy Named Train.

Probably some controversial choices there. Maybe this would be better off in Unpopular Opinions.

hmmm...What is wrong with Nice Guys Finish Last :o I mean it includes all the GD's trademarks and is extremely catchy?

I have also always felt like Christians Inferno is kinda dull. It has nothing else than that chorus which is very generic and obvious. And Little Boy Named Train is lyrically very very bad.

But yep, some strange choises, like Longview.

Edited by Nowhereman

People always say how Billie has a ~British accent~ but I never hear it? He sounds American to me tbh

I think it's just from the way he sometimes sings certain words or phrases. Sometimes he puts an exaggerated twang or something on it.

I think it's just from the way he sometimes sings certain words or phrases. Sometimes he puts an exaggerated twang or something on it.

Yeah, it's not an actual "British accent" that he sings with, he sounds American but there's just some elements of a "British" (or to be more accurate English, specifically Cockney/the accent of many famous English punk singers, which is probably where the influence came from) accent in there at times. It's the way he pronounces some vowels, and the way he drops his h's (eg "and the broken 'omes").

• Like 1

Wat8.jpg

• Like 1

You'd get rid of Nice Guys over Last Ride In?! What the hell?

Also, I refuse to delete anything off of the perfection that is American Idiot. That's just wrong. :(

• Like 1

You'd get rid of Nice Guys over Last Ride In?! What the hell?

Also, I refuse to delete anything off of the perfection that is American Idiot. That's just wrong. :(

Well yeah. At least Last Ride In is something different and I think it's pretty good. Nice Guys is just a dull, terrible way to start an album that good.

• Like 2

Well yeah. At least Last Ride In is something different and I think it's pretty good. Nice Guys is just a dull, terrible way to start an album that good.

I think you have the wrong thread, dear.

http://www.greendaycommunity.org/topic/96167-blasphemy-and-genocide-unpopular-green-day-opinions-part-2/page-113#entry5658892

:thumbsup:

I've already discussed it in there ;)

Nice Guys Finish Last is the most boring, average, nondescript Green Day song pre-Trilogy.

THANK YOU. I'm glad I'm not on my own, I really thought I was.

There is no such thing as a British accent. There is an English accent, a Scottish accent, a Welsh accent and an Irish accent (and many dialects in between). I'm not saying punk was invented by the English (not going to open that can of worms), but a lot of the early punk songs by The Sex Pistols, Siouxsie, The Clash etc had a huge influence on later bands and they had distinct English/London accents. It's not surprising Billie sang in this style, but it's nice that he found his own sound. :)

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a British accent. There is an English accent, a Scottish accent, a Welsh accent and an Irish accent (and many dialects in between). I'm not saying punk was invented by the English (not going to open that can of worms), but a lot of the early punk songs by The Sex Pistols, Siouxsie, The Clash etc had a huge influence on later bands and they had distinct English/London accents. It's not surprising Billie sang in this style, but it's nice that he found his own sound. :)

There's no such thing as an English accent. ;)

its not really a thought

idk what it is

but there isnt a thread for videos as far as im aware

so

Yeah, it's not an actual "British accent" that he sings with, he sounds American but there's just some elements of a "British" (or to be more accurate English, specifically Cockney/the accent of many famous English punk singers, which is probably where the influence came from) accent in there at times. It's the way he pronounces some vowels, and the way he drops his h's (eg "and the broken 'omes").

Dropping h's is British ?? (no irony, I really don't know)

Not exclusively, but yes. Lots of other accents do it as well.

Also, strictly and linguistically speaking they aren't "dropping" the H so much as they just pronounce it as a glottal plosive (also called a glottal stop, it's the one on the top-most right - you can also think of it as the hyphen in "uh-oh").

• Like 1

If we're gonna be like that there's no such thing as an American accent either.

Indeed not!

Yeah it is in some parts of England, the most well known being in the Cockney accent from London. If someone wants to do an over the top English accent the first thing they'll do is drop their h's, like American actor Dick Van Dyke did (badly) to play a Cockney chimney sweep in the film Mary Poppins :lol:. Famous punk bands from London like the Sex Pistols and The Clash would sing that way, I think that was probably an influence on Billie.

• Like 2

You can have an Englsih accent which is made up of all sorts of dialects. The punk sound has a definite London or Cockney dialect. You can't have"a" British accent because, by definition, Great Britain is made up of different countries, with different languages and accents within those countries. You can have an American accent, with different dialects for different states. Fascinating subject, but I think we've said enough about it now! :)

You can have an Englsih accent which is made up of all sorts of dialects. The punk sound has a definite London or Cockney dialect. You can't have"a" British accent because, by definition, Great Britain is made up of different countries, with different languages and accents within those countries. You can have an American accent, with different dialects for different states. Fascinating subject, but I think we've said enough about it now! :)

Funnily enough a similar conversation recently came up in the Accent Game Thread, might be a thread that interests you if you enjoy the subject of accents.

• Like 1