Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I gave it another listen and I can hear the sitar from EG at the beginning of Letterbomb now. It's just there for like half a second, but I'll begrudgingly accept them as transitional.

Rockband doesn't lump them together, I was talking about others like Novacaine and She's a Rebel.

I think She's a Rebel starts way too quickly--immediately, really--after Novacaine to not consider them a dual track.

I gave it another listen and I can hear the sitar from EG at the beginning of Letterbomb now. It's just there for like half a second, but I'll begrudgingly accept them as transitional.

Rockband doesn't lump them together, I was talking about others like Novacaine and She's a Rebel.

If 21 Guns/American Eulogy gets a pass then EG/Letterbomb does.

Ah ok. I don't consider them transitional but you can't have one without the other. It's definitely Are We The Waiting/St Jimmy territory.

Dat bassline. Here's me playing it. And then reversing what I played. Which is really a double reversal.

https://soundcloud.com/zackery-paskell/nightlife-bassline-backwards

that's awesome! And I think I like the bassline for this song backwards more than forwards. And that's not an anti-nightlife comment I this think the sound of the bass backwards is really cool

Most of the AI songs were lumped together long before rock band. They were on non-US iTunes stores

Most of the AI songs were lumped together long before rock band. They were on non-US iTunes stores

Even The Death Of St Jimmy, East 12th Street, Nobody Likes You, Rock N Roll Girlfriend and We're Coming Home Again we're haphazardly lumped together before the album was even pressed :P

Mother Mary has the same rhythm as Stray Heart. Also melody is similar. Funny how I did not realize it sooner. More reasons why trilogy is not so great.

Mother Mary has the same rhythm as Stray Heart. Also melody is similar. Funny how I did not realize it sooner. More reasons why trilogy is not so great.

And they're both the same as Town Called Malice :P

You might enjoy this thread, by the way.

• Like 1

I know this might have been a thing before. If not, am I the only one who noticed this?
In Longview, Billie Joe says "Take me away to paradise"

What do you know? The next song on Dookie right after Longview is "Welcome to Paradise"

Am I the only one here who saw this?

I know this might have been a thing before. If not, am I the only one who noticed this?

In Longview, Billie Joe says "Take me away to paradise"

What do you know? The next song on Dookie right after Longview is "Welcome to Paradise"

Am I the only one here who saw this?

I don't know if there's much in it since Welcome To Paradise was written years before and had already been on Kerplunk, but I guess it's a cool choice for the running order.

I don't know if there's much in it since Welcome To Paradise was written years before and had already been on Kerplunk, but I guess it's a cool choice for the running order.

Yeah, I know it was originally on Kerplunk!, but I just thought it was interesting to point out. Possibly intentional on GD's part.

• Like 4

Yeah, I know it was originally on Kerplunk!, but I just thought it was interesting to point out. Possibly intentional on GD's part.

I bet it was intentional. It's funny hearing a not so common word like that in the chorus of two songs in a row, amuses me that they didn't space them out.

In celebration of the Simpsons' 25th anniversary they're releasing Simpsons figures of celebrity guests that have been on the show. I'm pretty sure there are 4 series of figures, 25 in total. Series 1-3 have been announced already but I'm really hoping Green Day will be in the 4th series! Some of the ones that have already been released are Britney Spears, The Who, and Tony Hawk along with others.

I really wish Whatsername would've gotten a music video. The song is brilliant, and the footage of the drugged out girl in the yellow dress looks as if it has more potential than the final product for Jesus of Suburbia.

• Like 1

People always say how Billie has a ~British accent~ but I never hear it? He sounds American to me tbh

• Like 3

People always say how Billie has a ~British accent~ but I never hear it? He sounds American to me tbh

It's when he sings, mostly live. It's pretty hearable in JoS from Bullet in a Bible.

You all know the official video for Welcome to Paradise, which is the studio soundtrack over a live performance.

Does anybody know what performance that was and how good it actually was?

I know it's unlikely, but is there anybody on GDC that was actually at that show?

In-studio, it's most noticeable on Longview, especially the chorus.

In-studio, it's most noticeable on Longview, especially the chorus.

I thought I could trust you with matters of Englishness. "So damn bored I'm going blind" is delivered with one of the most obvious California twangs ever.

• Like 2

I have never once listened to a Green Day song and thought "hey, that sounds kinda British". I always put that myth down to dumb Americans not knowing what other accents sound like.

I thought I could trust you with matters of Englishness. "So damn bored I'm going blind" is delivered with one of the most obvious California twangs ever.

I thought this was a joke when there was a radio discussion about singers who put on ascents - when they said Billie sounds English I nearly fell over laughing. I just don't hear it.

• Like 1

To be fair, Billie himself said "I sound like an Englishman imitating an American imitating an Englishman." So it all gets sorta jumbled together. :P

• Like 1

Mike should write more songs. I really like his lyrics, they're honest and relatable.

• Like 1

What is "California Twang?" — A Dumb Midwesterner

I have never once listened to a Green Day song and thought "hey, that sounds kinda British". I always put that myth down to dumb Americans not knowing what other accents sound like.

I second this. — A Dumb American

• Like 1

I haven't never really heard British accent either. But I hear traces of that weird accent Joey Ramone used. And Joey Ramone tried to imitate British Accent.

But anyway, whatever accent Billie uses, especially on tje older records, it's pretty hard to understand what he's saying sometimes XD

I don't think there's anything like a universal ~~British accent~~ unless it's like received pronunciation or something which is dumb. There's hundreds of different accents in the UK.

An English accent would be like for example singers of the Stone Roses, Oasis, The Clash, The Beatles or The rolling stones etc etc and billie doesn't sound like them at all.

(yes uk people I realise oasis and the stone roses have quite thick regional accents but still :P)