Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

after listening to the trilogy again, i think Uno > Dos > Tre

Uno honestly has some of my favorite GD songs (Let Yourself Go, Kill The DJ, Nuclear Family, Oh, love, and Loss of Control off the top of my head). I like at least half of Dos (fuck Time, Wow Thats loud, Ashley, Baby Eyes, Makeout Party, and Lazy Bones) and the only thing i like off of Tre is DRB, X Kid, SDV, and 99 Revolutions.

Edited by Jirachi

I didn't even know there was a clean version of American Idiot. That sounds like the worst thing in the world.

It's not that bad, just means the swear words are cut out so you can play it around young kids who you don't want repeating them so they get to enjoy more Green Day songs. Or it can get played in shops or workplaces where songs with swearing wouldn't be allowed. Pretty handy really, and the explicit version is still available for anyone who wants it so no harm done.

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite performances! It's so good and chill-inducing. That bridge :wub:

• Like 1

I cry everytime I see a GD live till the end because guys, it's so moving and I'm pissed off not to be there.

Or maybe it belongs to the fangirls confession thread ?

Nevermind.

• Like 1

Because it actually does :lol:

He's mentioned in an interview that a lot of the stuff on Uno Dos and Tre is just his thoughts/fantasy (as well as stuff inspired by other times and people in his life). I see it as kind of like a "what if", what if he gave into the temptations of drugs, sex etc, the rock and roll lifestyle, what would the good and bad consequences of that be.

Can you find that interview please??

Oh and I'm pretty sure in an interview Billie said Stay the Night was about Ms. Amanda. Honestly though we all know Billie at least fantasizes about other women, wether he acts on it or not is a whole another debate, but not every single song he writes is about 80. In fact I believe a lot really aren't and NO I'm not one of those random Adrienne haters (who have absolutely no reason at all to dislike her...WTF is up with that anyway??)

• Like 2

My favourite musician once said that some songs are OK to release once the story has been buried in the past. Perhaps Billie thinks the same.

• Like 1

My favourite musician once said that some songs are OK to release once the story has been buried in the past. Perhaps Billie thinks the same.

That's an interesting quote, especially being a song writer.

Thought the same, though I'm writing poetry. Some poems are definitely not ready right after they'd been written.

Can you find that interview please??

Oh and I'm pretty sure in an interview Billie said Stay the Night was about Ms. Amanda. Honestly though we all know Billie at least fantasizes about other women, wether he acts on it or not is a whole another debate, but not every single song he writes is about 80. In fact I believe a lot really aren't and NO I'm not one of those random Adrienne haters (who have absolutely no reason at all to dislike her...WTF is up with that anyway??)

This is the one I remember (he may have mentioned similar things in others, not sure). It's from a German magazine so what he said was translated into German and then translated back into English by a GDCer, so it's obviously not his exact words, but you can get the idea:

Billie, what does your wife say about songs like "Nightlife"? I mean, you describe

in that songs your fantasie about getting seduced from a stranger.

She thinks it cool. She says, I'm sounding young and fresh..just like how I am.

And "Nightlife" doesn't only describe the thing with girls, it's about stuff like

drugs, alcohol and bad influence.

Is it easy to seduce you?

In this song, I just show my fantasies. My home, my family is a safe place for me.

I would never risk to lose it. I live in a beatiful realationship with my wife

and that since 18 years. But as a musican, you need to think different. There

are things I wanna drink, thinks I wanna take and people I wanna look at. And my

wife bans stuff like that. Beeing a healthy person, a good husband, a good father

and to have fun in your job. That's the challenge I accepted.

(thread with full interview)

And yeah, I think it's always been pretty obvious that Billie writes songs inspired by previous girlfriends as well as his wife (especially ones about "the one who got away", being left by someone, or an exciting but volatile romance), and he's always been totally open about it as well. Don't see what the fuss is about really, it's just writing songs inspired by stuff he's experienced in his life. And all his proper romantic songs are about his wife anyway!

• Like 4

So I couldn't help but make this... It's nightlife played in reverse..

it's like Lady Cobra is saying help me in parts. Scary shit

So it's someone doing Idioteque by Radiohead in German, basically?

Also, at 1:29 it sounds like Lady Cobra is saying "masturbation."

No Satan. :( Me disappointed. KTNXBAI. :/

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask. I'm making a playlist of music to play at a community swimming pool for the summer. I want to include a song from the Trilogy. Which song would work best while laying out by the pool? We are using Spotify and the only Good Riddance song is the one where he silently says "fuck"! I love it but I need a song that's appropriate for all ages;...a few new tunes from Green Day is what I'm looking for.

I just noticed that 21 Guns has some of the radio static from American Eulogy at the end. I wonder if they could be considered transitional tracks in any sense. They've got more going for them than Are We The Waiting/St. Jimmy, at least.

htt

Dat bassline. Here's me playing it. And then reversing what I played. Which is really a double reversal.

https://soundcloud.com/zackery-paskell/nightlife-bassline-backwards

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask. I'm making a playlist of music to play at a community swimming pool for the summer. I want to include a song from the Trilogy. Which song would work best while laying out by the pool? We are using Spotify and the only Good Riddance song is the one where he silently says "fuck"! I love it but I need a song that's appropriate for all ages;...a few new tunes from Green Day is what I'm looking for.

The songs on the Trilogy without any swearing are: Nuclear Family (although has "piss"), Carpe Diem, Fell For You, Troublemaker (has "tits") Sweet 16, Oh Love, See You Tonight, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, Stray Heart, Lady Cobra, Nightlife, Wow That's Loud, Amy, Brutal Love, 8th Avenue Serenade, Drama Queen, X-Kid, Sex Drugs & Violence, Little Boy Named Train, Amanda, Walk Away and The Forgotten. I doubt Nightlife would be considered age-appropriate, and people might lose their shit over Drama Queen without bothering to analyse the meaning, but beyond that you'd probably be ok. I'd stick to Fell For You, Sweet 16, Oh Love, Amy, Brutal Love, X-Kid and The Forgotten though, personally.

I just noticed that 21 Guns has some of the radio static from American Eulogy at the end. I wonder if they could be considered transitional tracks in any sense. They've got more going for them than Are We The Waiting/St. Jimmy, at least.

I consider them transitional personally. That said, the static sounds are on more Breakdown songs than you might necessarily think.

How about Extraordinary Girl into Letterbomb?

• Like 1

How about Extraordinary Girl into Letterbomb?

I've never even heard of anyone thinking of those two as transitional. Honestly, if there isn't a cross-fade or part of one track actually being in the other I don't consider them transitional. No matter what Rockband says.

The only ones that get a pass are Are We The Waiting/St. Jimmy because they were originally one song and Brain Stew/Jaded because they share a single and music video.

I've never even heard of anyone thinking of those two as transitional. Honestly, if there isn't a cross-fade or part of one track actually being in the other I don't consider them transitional. No matter what Rockband says.

But there is a crossfade. The guitar fades out at the end of EG but keeps ringing into the static noise at the very start of Letterbomb. I didn't even know Rockband lumped them together.

• Like 1

But there is a crossfade. The guitar fades out at the end of EG but keeps ringing into the static noise at the very start of Letterbomb. I didn't even know Rockband lumped them together.

I gave it another listen and I can hear the sitar from EG at the beginning of Letterbomb now. It's just there for like half a second, but I'll begrudgingly accept them as transitional.

Rockband doesn't lump them together, I was talking about others like Novacaine and She's a Rebel.