Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I never realized how much I liked Extraordinary Girl until last night.

It was the first non-single song from AI I really connected with when I first got the CD. I've since grown more indifferent toward it, but I still hate when it gets shit on. 14-year-old me loved it. :happy:

• Like 1

It was the first non-single song from AI I really connected with when I first got the CD. I've since grown more indifferent toward it, but I still hate when it gets shit on. 14-year-old me loved it. :happy:

Why would people shit on it? It's a great song!

Why would people shit on it? It's a great song!

It's generally considered the weakest on the album, along with She's A Rebel. Which doesn't really say much given how strong an album it is.

• Like 1

It's generally considered the weakest on the album, along with She's A Rebel. Which doesn't really say much given how strong an album it is.

That was my second-favorite when I first heard the album. Funny, isn't it? 14-year-old me was like "wow, these songs are gr8!" :happy:

But seriously, She's A Rebel is super catchy, and Mike's backing vocals at the end are spot-on. For how short the song is, I think it accomplishes a lot, and it's fun and upbeat compared to most of the other tracks. I think it's a good song and I'd miss if it it was a b-side or something instead of being on the album. (Speaking of which, Too Much Too Soon really is a gr8 song! Makes me sad it wasn't included.)

• Like 2

I've really got into the covers of A Quick One and Like a Rolling Stone just recently. The production on those songs is just fantastic.

• Like 3

I've really got into the covers of A Quick One and Like a Rolling Stone just recently. The production on those songs is just fantastic.

Ironic considering how the production is pretty much the only way they differ from the originals :P

Yeah, they both sound so huge and epic--they're made for stadium rock. Wish they'd kept that sound.

Ironic considering how the production is pretty much the only way they differ from the originals :P

Yeah, I guess they're more re-recordings than covers. But I'll generally prefer something with better production than something with worse production. I know that's a little unfair coz obviously we have better technology now than in the 60s, but the drums, bass and acoustic guitar sound so punchy and crisp on A Quick One, it sounds so good.

Online lyrical analysis of Green Day songs makes me feel ill. Here are some selected highlights from one for American Idiot:

The subliminal mindfuck America - A mindfuck is something that is strange and makes no sense and fucks with your mind. America is like a mindfuck.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America - Billy Joe Armstrong has publicly stated that he is bi-sexual and believes[citation needed] all humans are born that way but society tells us that it is not okay. He has a wife and two kids though. I thought that line was kind of connected to Holidays lyrics ‘kill all the fags that dont agree’ implying yet again, people who are against the war are soft. hes saying maybe hes the faggot, as he is against war and if that means being homosexual then he is.

I'm not a part of the redneck agenda - A redneck is a white, poor and racist people, who doesn’t live in a city (so he lives in small towns in Texas for example, which is famous for his racism and redneck culture). Also a reference to George Bush, being from Texas, known for having quite a few rednecks.

:mellow:

• Like 1

Online lyrical analysis of Green Day songs makes me feel ill. Here are some selected highlights from one for American Idiot:

The subliminal mindfuck America - A mindfuck is something that is strange and makes no sense and fucks with your mind. America is like a mindfuck.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America - Billy Joe Armstrong has publicly stated that he is bi-sexual and believes[citation needed] all humans are born that way but society tells us that it is not okay. He has a wife and two kids though. I thought that line was kind of connected to Holidays lyrics kill all the fags that dont agree implying yet again, people who are against the war are soft. hes saying maybe hes the faggot, as he is against war and if that means being homosexual then he is.

I'm not a part of the redneck agenda - A redneck is a white, poor and racist people, who doesnt live in a city (so he lives in small towns in Texas for example, which is famous for his racism and redneck culture). Also a reference to George Bush, being from Texas, known for having quite a few rednecks.

:mellow:

Dear Christ. Where'd you find these?

• Like 1

Enjoy.

Hear the sound of the falling rain - Jesus is now in the city, and it’s one of those days where it is just pouring rain.

Oh, and check out what Liam found last night. Yes, that's Taylor Swift.

She's covered the song before so no surprise there.

The first time I heard Wild One it was on CD, and because it came right after Lazy Bones I thought it was actually the same song until the first verse :P (and the hole between the 2 songs was a random little break before a guitar solo just like the previous one on Lazy Bones)

• Like 2

Listening to Demolicious, I now realize how massively over-produced the trilogy really is.

Listening to Demolicious, I now realize how massively over-produced the trilogy really is.

Again the trilogy wasn't over produced

Production value Dookie is severely over produced compared to the trilogy

The vocal filter is what makes it sound like it was

Again the trilogy wasn't over produced

Production value Dookie is severely over produced compared to the trilogy

The vocal filter is what makes it sound like it was

Fair enough, I don't know if the production is to blame, but every aspect of the sound sounds off to me. They went with a cleaner guitar tone, and that's fine, but the drums are thin and uncomfortable to listen to, the vocals are, as you say, overproduced, and everything just sounds really flat in general. What I meant by Demolicious sounding better is the fact that it sounds so much more natural in every way, and the instruments have more room to "breathe", if you will. I give you Carpe Diem and 99 revolutions as the best examples.

Fair enough, I don't know if the production is to blame, but every aspect of the sound sounds off to me. They went with a cleaner guitar tone, and that's fine, but the drums are thin and uncomfortable to listen to, the vocals are, as you say, overproduced, and everything just sounds really flat in general. What I meant by Demolicious sounding better is the fact that it sounds so much more natural in every way, and the instruments have more room to "breathe", if you will. I give you Carpe Diem and 99 revolutions as the best examples.

Well anytime a band is recorded actually playing live is going to be a more natural sound to it as opposed to recording each instrument separately

And for some songs going the clean tone wasn't the best choice (IMO) but it what the band wanted to do

Hopefully they got it out of their system and next album will be back with the distortion

Well anytime a band is recorded actually playing live is going to be a more natural sound to it as opposed to recording each instrument separately

And for some songs going the clean tone wasn't the best choice (IMO) but it what the band wanted to do

Hopefully they got it out of their system and next album will be back with the distortion

Agreed. Although, this is the first time I've felt that their sound has been particularly unnatural, and as far as I know they always record this way.

About the distortion, I suspect that they actually sounded better during practices than on the albums. As you may know, recording a guitar changes the tone a little bit, leaving out some frequencies and emphasizing others, resulting in a guitar tone that sounds different on record than it does "live". This can be heard on Demolicious, as those songs that have the best recording and production quality sounds weakest, and those that are recorded with lower quality have a lot dirtier guitars. Not sure if this is the reason it sounds the way it does, but I think it's an interesting thought.

• Like 2

Sex, Drugs & Violence and Missing You are also very noticeable. I think the drums on most of the songs are what struck me right away. They sound very unnatural on the studio versions now. I know nothing about the technicalities of producing music, but I know something isn't right.

• Like 1

Sex, Drugs & Violence and Missing You are also very noticeable. I think the drums on most of the songs are what struck me right away. They sound very unnatural on the studio versions now. I know nothing about the technicalities of producing music, but I know something isn't right.

That's the tambourine that's throwing the drums off lmao

• Like 1

That's the tambourine that's throwing the drums off lmao

The tambourine in the Fell For You demo is like nails on a blackboard. Why do they ever think tambourine is a good idea? :pinch:

• Like 2

The tambourine in the Fell For You demo is like nails on a blackboard. Why do they ever think tambourine is a good idea? :pinch:

I'm thinking one day Tre was playing a game of poker with a tambourine player and they got in a argument and made a bet that if tre lost he had to use trambourines if the trambourime player lost he had to say drums were better tre lost and there for trambourine galore

• Like 3

I'm thinking one day Tre was playing a game of poker with a tambourine player and they got in a argument and made a bet that if tre lost he had to use trambourines if the trambourime player lost he had to say drums were better tre lost and there for trambourine galore

That's also how Tre lost his testicle.

• Like 4

What, by trying to use it as a tambourine?

Snorting donut sprinkles will do strange things to a man.

• Like 1