Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Random thought: I wonder what the band are doing the next 2/3 weeks and whether there's a chance they'll fill in as Glastonbury headliners if Foo Fighters have to officially pull out. Would be an adequate and similar replacement.

When I was just starting to get into GD and before I ever heard Billie speak, I thought he was British.( I know stupid, right?) But then I was all like, "Why would a British dude be singing about the current state of America?" :confused:

When I was just starting to get into GD and before I ever heard Billie speak, I thought he was British.( I know stupid, right?) But then I was all like, "Why would a British dude be singing about the current state of America?" :confused:

Yeah this has been said on many occasions - I just don't hear it. I am a farking American :P

• Like 1

First I thought they were Canadian :confused:. My parents thought Green Day was a British band.

• Like 1

I've never understood people confusing Green Day for being an English band, and never will. Billie Joe doesn't sound even remotely English, just standard whiny American.

Random thought: I wonder what the band are doing the next 2/3 weeks and whether there's a chance they'll fill in as Glastonbury headliners if Foo Fighters have to officially pull out. Would be an adequate and similar replacement.

Probably! No, I don't think it's very likely. Would be rad, though.

Almost 5 years since Wembley! I can't believe how fast time is running...

Holy shit I can't believe that! I've got a multi cam recording of the whole show on a DVD somewhere, might have to get my sister round and watch it for the anniversary. It's really cool to know there's that brick commemorating GDCers being at the show at the stadium too.

I've never understood people confusing Green Day for being an English band, and never will. Billie Joe doesn't sound even remotely English, just standard whiny American.

It's his Cockney-style dropped H's
  • Like 1

It's his Cockney-style dropped H's

yes, he sounds pretty cockney-like when singing. When he talks he sounds totally american (or that's what I think :D)

Regarding the iHeart talk, I don't really understand what part of Billie's rant Mike agreed with. He was either insulting everyone in sight or he was talking about being superior, which given the circumstances fell flat.

As Juste Bro and others said, this subject always comes up. The reason being that it's one of the two major events that happened during last three years. In spite of that, there's no point in trying to make sense of it. A drunk guy was being ridiculous in public. There's nothing more to it. This wasn't about expressing an opinion, disagreement or protesting in the first place. Nothing to be held against him, either.

• Like 3

A drunk guy was being ridiculous in public. There's nothing more to it. This wasn't about expressing an opinion, disagreement or protesting in the first place. Nothing to be held against him, either.

Yeah, this. It was shitty behaviour, he's since got sober and apologised, move on.
  • Like 2

Both Mikes part in Mass Hysteria and Cigarettes and Valentines mention 'the great divide'

• Like 1

Both Mikes part in Mass Hysteria and Cigarettes and Valentines mention 'the great divide'

Plus "red alert is the colour of" both panic and your paper valentines.

• Like 3

So I just went blonder and I feel a mighty need for blonde Billie and the Rev to be a thing again.

• Like 1

Plus "red alert is the colour of" both panic and your paper valentines.

I guess this might be because the guys never planned to perform Cigarettes and Valentines?

Highly unlikely. Emily Eaves has got her head so far up her arse... back in 2010 when U2 pulled out, Green Day were post 21CB touring, available, (IMO) at their peak in performance, even Bono recommended them, and she opted for Gorillaz - a set that sucked the big one, served her right. :lol:

So I just went blonder and I feel a mighty need for blonde Billie and the Rev to be a thing again.

I can help you with that

9Iip3n3-922x1024.jpg

blonde.jpg

Highly unlikely. Emily Eaves has got her head so far up her arse... back in 2010 when U2 pulled out, Green Day were post 21CB touring, available, (IMO) at their peak in performance, even Bono recommended them, and she opted for Gorillaz - a set that sucked the big one, served her right. :lol:

$$$$$$$$ Were the tickets already on sale when U2 pulled out??? If so, there was no reason to pay a big act like Green Day. They need a big act to sell tickets, but if tickets are already sold, and they can pay a band less, the festival makes more money. If the tickets were already on sale, it was a brilliant move, if the tickets were not already on sale, she was an idiot.

she was an idiot.

Correct. U2 pulled out, not as late as the Foos - I think about a month before, and after all were tickets sold.

Correct. U2 pulled out, not as late as the Foos - I think about a month before, and after all were tickets sold.

Well then she was brilliant. Gorillaz would not charge nearly as much as green day. She made a hell of a lot more by booking gorillaz. She didn't need green day to pull in the ticket sales, the tickets were already sold.

Well then she was brilliant. Gorillaz would not charge nearly as much as green day. She made a hell of a lot more by booking gorillaz. She didn't need green day to pull in the ticket sales, the tickets were already sold.

We do not know that. Green Day were keen. BTW the Gorillaz set was so bad it embarrassed Glastonbury. Glastonbury needs good sets.. Now I am outta here.

We do not know that. Green Day were keen. BTW the Gorillaz set was so bad it embarrassed Glastonbury. Glastonbury needs good sets.. Now I am outta here.

You don't know for sure, but I would bet my first born child that Green Day would charge a hell of alot more than Gorillaz. The point of a festival is to make money. IF the tickets are sold, and you can replace a more expensive act with a less expensive act then you have made money.

FYI, they have just announced that Florence and the Machine are replacing the Foo Fighters in Glastonbury. I would guess that Florence and the Machines charges less than Foo Fighters and Green Day.

• Like 1

You don't know for sure, but I would bet my first born child that Green Day would charge a hell of alot more than Gorillaz. The point of a festival is to make money. IF the tickets are sold, and you can replace a more expensive act with a less expensive act then you have made money.

FYI, they have just announced that Florence and the Machine are replacing the Foo Fighters in Glastonbury. I would guess that Florence and the Machines charges less than Foo Fighters and Green Day.

For an annual festival to continue to make money they have to have good acts that put on a good show. They might've made more that year but if they did that kind of thing too often they'd damage their reputation as one of the best festivals in the country and lose money in the long run.

For an annual festival to continue to make money they have to have good acts that put on a good show. They might've made more that year but if they did that kind of thing too often they'd damage their reputation as one of the best festivals in the country and lose money in the long run.

Agreed, but getting good acts does not mean it has to be an expensive act. I did not mean to imply that the festival would hire shitty acts just to save money, but that given the opportunity would hire less expensive acts. Most of the tickets were sold, so they did not need Green Day to boost ticket sales. I have never seen Gorillaz in concert, so I can't personally comment. But, most of their reviews are 5 stars. So, by written accounts, they were getting a good act, maybe not an act as big as Green Day or U2, but one that has gotten good reviews before and most likely cost alot less. Now the reviews could have been by hard core fans that would not say anything bad, or the band was just really off that day. So the festival made a decision to save money and hopefully got an act that put on a good show, it didn't work out that way.

This year they got Florence and the Machine to replace the Foo Fighters. My guess is that they did the same thing. I would think Florence and the Machine cost alot less than the Foo Fighters. But, I can sort of comment here. I have sort of seen them in concert. They were playing an outdoor theater near where my girls had swim practice. The practice was going on when they were doing sound check so I got to see the sound check. They were awesome. So hopefully this will work out better than Gorillaz.

Yeah this has been said on many occasions - I just don't hear it. I am a farking American :P

So am I :dance: (Woohoo!) And I don't know what I heard. My ears were stupid when I was 10

• Like 1