Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Is there anyone else who completely despises the artwork/merch for Uno, Dos, Tré? I was watching Cuatro last night and really started harping on it again. This may sound ridiculous, but I almost believe that if they had gone with a different look, the albums would have been slightly more successful. To me, the artwork just reminds me of stuff directed toward 13 year old kids. And I think it doesn't fit the sound at all. Actually watching Cuatro is amazing--everyone is all dressed down, relaxed, totally chill; skateboarding, surfing, ping-pong...ing, etc. Not to mention the beautiful 8mm film effects. And then there's the artwork and it just seems a little bit too try-hard. In part of the documentary, they show the rough drafts of the albums and it's their faces in the same pose except that it's just a black and white photo with sharpie for the X's over their eyes, and truthfully I think that alone would have been heaps better than the overdone look.

The actual documentary is very nostalgia classic meets a touch of modern, and the artwork just looks like they found some 12 year old, asked him to eat 57 Laffy Taffy's then used what he puked up as the artwork.

:mellow:

Okay... I'm being a little harsh. The truth is, I hate neon. I hate it. I want it nowhere near me. Forever.

• Like 3

Is there anyone else who completely despises the artwork/merch for Uno, Dos, Tré? I was watching Cuatro last night and really started harping on it again. This may sound ridiculous, but I almost believe that if they had gone with a different look, the albums would have been slightly more successful. To me, the artwork just reminds me of stuff directed toward 13 year old kids. And I think it doesn't fit the sound at all. Actually watching Cuatro is amazing--everyone is all dressed down, relaxed, totally chill; skateboarding, surfing, ping-pong...ing, etc. Not to mention the beautiful 8mm film effects. And then there's the artwork and it just seems a little bit too try-hard. In part of the documentary, they show the rough drafts of the albums and it's their faces in the same pose except that it's just a black and white photo with sharpie for the X's over their eyes, and truthfully I think that alone would have been heaps better than the overdone look.

The actual documentary is very nostalgia classic meets a touch of modern, and the artwork just looks like they found some 12 year old, asked him to eat 57 Laffy Taffy's then used what he puked up as the artwork.

Okay... I'm being a little harsh. The truth is, I hate neon. I hate it. I want it nowhere near me. Forever.

I hate neon too. Neon is for fucking highlighting, not album covers. I completely understand your point and I agree with you. I think that the artwork for the trilogy was a bit "popish" and childish. It basically looks like a teenager who was very happy and in love chose the colors and I don't think suits GD very well. With all due respect for the artist, it kinda sucks. (Sorry for being so judgemental)

Oh god yeah, I've always had a problem with those covers. The Uno artwork especially bugs me with that stoned look on Billie's face. I do like the idea of a more simplistic, fun time style artwork, but surely they could have done better than what they came up with. I do really like the demolicious art though, and I think some variation of that would have been a lot more effective.

• Like 4

Oh god yeah, I've always had a problem with those covers. The Uno artwork especially bugs me with that stoned look on Billie's face. I do like the idea of a more simplistic, fun time style artwork, but surely they could have done better than what they came up with. I do really like the demolicious art though, and I think some variation of that would have been a lot more effective.

I love the Demolicious artwork too. And I agree that they should have used some of the aspects of the Demolicious cover for the Trilogy. Not only would it have looked better, but it would have tied the albums together as a complete set.

Hopefully the artwork on the next album will be fantastic because I really want to wear a new GD shirt and I hate the ones from the Trilogy :lol::cry:

• Like 1

I still find it astonishing that a person with Billie's verbal skills can write such clever lyrics.

Thank goodness for spell check and grammar check or else we wouldn't understand any of those lyrics

• Like 2

Thank goodness for spell check and grammar check or else we wouldn't understand any of those lyrics

From native speaker's point of view, what's his English like? For example, the Phil Everly obituary seemed stylistically awkward and sometimes pretty clumsy to me. I don't remember if there were mistakes in his tweets...

But of course, my sense of English is limited, it's not my mother tongue and I don't think I see everything.

• Like 1

From native speaker's point of view, what's his English like? For example, the Phil Everly obituary seemed stylistically awkward and sometimes pretty clumsy to me. I don't remember if there were mistakes in his tweets...

But of course, my sense of English is limited, it's not my mother tongue and I don't think I see everything.

That is an interesting question. First, based on the subjects he writes about and the lyrics he is able to compose, he is clearly not stupid. I just think he never gave a shit about grammar and sentence structure, etc. So his lyrics are often not correct from those standpoints. As far as his verbal skills, I think he is just such a nervous guy that he has trouble speaking in public. IF he takes his time, and it is a subject he feels more comfortable with, I think he is fine. He can sometimes be quite eloquent, not often but it does happen! I thought his Rock Hall speech was decent.

To sum it up, I would not put down his english skills as one of his better talents.

• Like 2

Strange thing I noticed, Billie Joe rarely said "y'know" at all pre-American Idiot. If you watch the interviews from the Pop Disaster Tour he's a completely different person to what he becomes just a few years later. Post-AI Billie is certainly a lot more arrogant and up himself, although considering the change was so dramatic I'd imagine a large amount of that is put on.

Strange thing I noticed, Billie Joe rarely said "y'know" at all pre-American Idiot. If you watch the interviews from the Pop Disaster Tour he's a completely different person to what he becomes just a few years later. Post-AI Billie is certainly a lot more arrogant and up himself, although considering the change was so dramatic I'd imagine a large amount of that is put on.

It is. He did that as a part of the new image. He wanted to look self-assured, which came off as arrogant.

I didn't spot the y'know thing before. I think he would always say it pretty often. It only got worse as the drugs robbed him of the rest of his vocabulary.

That is an interesting question. First, based on the subjects he writes about and the lyrics he is able to compose, he is clearly not stupid. I just think he never gave a shit about grammar and sentence structure, etc. So his lyrics are often not correct from those standpoints. As far as his verbal skills, I think he is just such a nervous guy that he has trouble speaking in public. IF he takes his time, and it is a subject he feels more comfortable with, I think he is fine. He can sometimes be quite eloquent, not often but it does happen! I thought his Rock Hall speech was decent.

To sum it up, I would not put down his english skills as one of his better talents.

That's what I think, too. It just has always seemed strange to me that someone doesn't pick up their native language's syntax :D

It is. He did that as a part of the new image. He wanted to look self-assured, which came off as arrogant.

I didn't spot the y'know thing before. I think he would always say it pretty often. It only got worse as the drugs robbed him of the rest of his vocabulary.

I think part of it had alot to do with the image change and the pressure that went along with it. With the release of AI, GD became one of the biggest bands in the world, fronted by a neurotic mess. I think it is pretty clear that he always felt the pressure acutely, but it must have increased incredibly after AI. That kind of status change is probably hard for anyone to take, but someone who is so nervous would be affected much more.

That's what I think, too. It just has always seemed strange to me that someone doesn't pick up their native language's syntax :D

You need to consider also, that he went through enough school to have learned sentence structure and syntax, when we first learn that stuff, it is pretty boring and dry. By the time he got to the part of our school system where you really learn how to use the words and sentences, how to truly convey your feelings with written words, he had first tuned out, then dropped out. He honestly didn't learn the most important part of conveying the written word

• Like 3

Just out of curiosity, any other GD fans here that aren't liberal Democrats? My views are pretty damn conservative and people are always shocked when they hear that I love Green Day.

• Like 3

People in this world don't like neon colors? What the fuck?! :mad: (That being said, the trilogy era merch does look disgusting... but don't blame the colors! It's the designs!)

• Like 3

I still can't believe this happened. I can't believe three of my favorite musicians shared a stage like total bros. I can't believe Satch and the Het actually learned a Green Day song. So amazing.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, any other GD fans here that aren't liberal Democrats? My views are pretty damn conservative and people are always shocked when they hear that I love Green Day.

I don't think there are many. I know of you and maybe one other person who I think said she voted for the Republicans.

I think part of it had alot to do with the image change and the pressure that went along with it. With the release of AI, GD became one of the biggest bands in the world, fronted by a neurotic mess. I think it is pretty clear that he always felt the pressure acutely, but it must have increased incredibly after AI. That kind of status change is probably hard for anyone to take, but someone who is so nervous would be affected much more.

You need to consider also, that he went through enough school to have learned sentence structure and syntax, when we first learn that stuff, it is pretty boring and dry. By the time he got to the part of our school system where you really learn how to use the words and sentences, how to truly convey your feelings with written words, he had first tuned out, then dropped out. He honestly didn't learn the most important part of conveying the written word

I agree about the AI. He was probably trying to play along with it and becoming larger than life was the result. Also, he didn't look nervous to me - the slightly pretentious persona fit him.

True, later you can pick up a lot just from reading. However, school gives you a lot of writing practice so you learn how to use written language actively.

• Like 1

There's Tomrade, but he's the only one off the top of my head.

I wouldn't say I'm a total conservative. I think I am more libertarian; I support gay marriage, for example. I lean conservative on many issues, though. So no, you aren't the only one! ;) & I'm glad you admitted to it because I feel like conservatives get ridiculed for their beliefs nowadays.

I wouldn't say I'm a total conservative. I think I am more libertarian; I support gay marriage, for example. I lean conservative on many issues, though. So no, you aren't the only one! ;) & I'm glad you admitted to it because I feel like conservatives get ridiculed for their beliefs nowadays.

Up until 20 years ago (or even more recently in some parts) you'd have been ridiculed, marginalised, and probably even been physically threatened or assaulted for having liberal views on many subjects in Ireland. I have absolutely no time for butthurt conservatives who are mad that their outdated beliefs no longer align with modern thinking and are openly mocked as a result.

This is off topic now but in response to Ceadog, I don't think anyone should be ridiculed for their beliefs - no matter what side of the aisle your on. That's one reason why I hate politics; it pits us against each other.

The unfair treatment/mockery liberals faced isn't okay. On the other hand, there shouldn't be a double standard. Liberals getting ridiculed for their beliefs is wrong, and the same goes for conservatives or anyone for that matter. Just because you disagree with someone, and think their beliefs are outdated or whatever doesn't make it right to deride them.

• Like 4

This is off topic now but in response to Ceadog, I don't think anyone should be ridiculed for their beliefs - no matter what side of the aisle your on. That's one reason why I hate politics; it pits us against each other.

The unfair treatment/mockery liberals faced isn't okay. On the other hand, there shouldn't be a double standard. Liberals getting ridiculed for their beliefs is wrong, and the same goes for conservatives or anyone for that matter. Just because you disagree with someone, and think their beliefs are outdated or whatever doesn't make it right to deride them.

Thing is, I'm not going to respect someone who's pushing a belief or a policy that's outdated. I'm just not. There's a reason conservatism in the form of the Republican Party is dying a slow death in America; it's been exposed as a bigoted old white man's club that's still clinging onto the policies and beliefs of Reagan. Yes it's good that you're more of a libertarian than Republican, but by all accounts the Democrats are right wing as fuck by European standards so it's not much difference really.

Anyway, you can believe in whatever politics you want, I retain the right to think that they're dumb as fuck, and the right to tell you as much.

Agree with Ceadog's comments about American democrats. That said, we who are moderate liberals in Europe are pretty scary folk. Boo.

I don't like when they play a song "inside" another, or in the middle of one. Ex.: in AAF when Billie plays Good Riddance before the end of Wake Me Up WSE. To me it just messes up both songs; like -you've playing 2 1/2+- hours, why don't just play them one after the other? :unsure:

• Like 1

Thing is, I'm not going to respect someone who's pushing a belief or a policy that's outdated. I'm just not. There's a reason conservatism in the form of the Republican Party is dying a slow death in America; it's been exposed as a bigoted old white man's club that's still clinging onto the policies and beliefs of Reagan. Yes it's good that you're more of a libertarian than Republican, but by all accounts the Democrats are right wing as fuck by European standards so it's not much difference really.

Anyway, you can believe in whatever politics you want, I retain the right to think that they're dumb as fuck, and the right to tell you as much.

Yeah, there is no question the Republican Party is dying. My point is, I think people need to promote tolerance and try to find some common ground with each other politically instead of resulting to name-calling, shaming, or dismissing, which doesn't solve anything.
  • Like 2