Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Edgar Allen Poe is kind of a household name...

Not even close. Few enough people outside of those with a keen interest in English would have heard his name, never mind actually name anything he's written.

Not even close. Few enough people outside of those with a keen interest in English would have heard his name, never mind actually name anything he's written.

Which is a complete shame. :(

They teach Poe in school... (or at least they did when I was in school)

• Like 3

They teach Poe in school... (or at least they did when I was in school)

We were never taught him over here. Granted we have Yeats and Wilde and a good dozen other poets equally as gifted and prolific, so non-Irish poets are basically ignored unless you take higher level classes.

Every time I listen to "St. Jimmy", I'm kind of amazed that Billie has enough literary knowledge to know who Edgar Allan Poe is, considering his usual less-than-impressive command of things like grammar and punctuation. :P

he probably watched the simpsons episode lbr

• Like 3

I had heard of Poe and knew he was a poet, though I know little about him. I just loved the funny randomness of the line though :lol:

This is shocking to me. I've known Edgar Allen Poe for a long time. Pretty well known in the US. Easily one of the most famous poets to us.

• Like 2

I have been listening to Dookie a lot nowadays. Its a great medium to channel you anger and frustration in a better direction.

• Like 2

Edgar Allen Poe might not've been heard of by everyone but he's hardly an obscure reference. Wouldn't be at all surprising if Billie heard of him at school or just randomly, but he's also mentioned in I Am The Walrus by The Beatles which he'd certainly be familiar with.

seeing those pictures from last night, and from earlier this year, it kinda seems like Billie gained a pound or two :lol:

Yay maybe but I love it, though. I remember a shot from 2012 he looked like a skeleton. I love double chin

Yay maybe but I love it, though. I remember a shot from 2012 he looked like a skeleton. I love double chin

I like it, too! He looks way better then before ;) but it is noticeable by now ;P

• Like 1

Do you think the guys have a favourite Green Day song?

They probably have favorites from every album. Songs they enjoy the most, like to play the most, are most proud of having written.

I know! He looks so good and healthy.

• Like 1

It's amazing. :wub:

Oh yes this is the biggest part of my fangirl activity: pics of an healthy BJ, sillily smiling. And when he's hugging a fan, I just start squealing :P It's so great to see him like that, it makes me really happy :happy:

They probably have favorites from every album. Songs they enjoy the most, like to play the most, are most proud of having written.

Like 99 Revolutions? :P

Green Day should embrace their namesake and open with the song green day. Just imagine the opening 4 notes, Tre taking a hit from a bong, Mike's sweet bass lick and away they go

Is it odd that my favorite Green Day guitar work always involves muting? Especially on Homecoming--I can't put my finger on why, it just sounds so damn cool.

Back to the Edgar Alan Poe conversation, he's taught in most American high schools and is an American literary icon. He's hardly an unknown scholar in the U.S.

• Like 4

Is it odd that my favorite Green Day guitar work always involves muting? Especially on Homecoming--I can't put my finger on why, it just sounds so damn cool.

There's something quite special about Billie's palm muting. He locks in so tightly with Mike and Tre, and his dynamics are so consistent, that it's actually incredibly difficult to replicate. It's a very underrated skill, because in theory it's so simple.

• Like 3

There's something quite special about Billie's palm muting. He locks in so tightly with Mike and Tre, and his dynamics are so consistent, that it's actually incredibly difficult to replicate. It's a very underrated skill, because in theory it's so simple.

Down strokes. It's all in the down strokes.

• Like 1

Whenever I listen to Makeout Party and there's that bit in the middle where Billie moans/pants and then coughs, I can't help thinking of how at one of the shows on the 21st CB tour when he asked the crowd to "make fucking noises" during Hitchin A Ride as he liked to do at that time, when he joined in instead of moaning like usual he just started coughing and said "I've got a hair in my mouth" :lol:. I wonder if that bit in Makeout Party was inspired by the same idea.

Green Day should embrace their namesake and open with the song green day. Just imagine the opening 4 notes, Tre taking a hit from a bong, Mike's sweet bass lick and away they go

I always think it's a shame that it doesn't actually say the phrase "Green Day" in that song. It would be awesome and hilarious to hear them perform it live if it did. Bet they would've been more likely to perform it live more often if it did as well.