Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Not the worst thing he did during that time - not even near. And nowhere near the things my schoolmates did.

This is why I act like a mama (space) bear to teenage fangirls who may be a bit awkward. Whoever hurts them in my presence will face the consequences...or something.

• Like 1

Not the worst thing he did during that time...not even near. And nowhere near the things my schoolmates did. This is why I act like a mama bear to teenage fangirls who may be a bit awkward.

I hope you don't think I am a teenage fangirl......far from that.

I hope you don't think I am a teenage fangirl......far from that.

We talked in the over 30s thread, I would never think you're a teen.

I was talking about where my stance on protecting young and weird-ish fans comes from. :)

• Like 1

I've watched the Irving Plaza show and didn't pick up on any of those things either. It was hard to watch Billie during WMUWSE though. When he screamed daddy and could barely get through the last verse, it nearly had me in tears. I felt so sad for him.

The fact that he ended up in a park and didn't know how he got there is very sad and a sign he needed help.

The fact that he ended up in a park and didn't know how he got there is very sad and a sign he needed help.

Wait, what? I don't remember hearing about that.

Wait, what? I don't remember hearing about that.

I think it was in the Rolling Stone article, but I'm not 100% sure. He said that one night after a show, he was so out of it, he woke up in a park on the West Side Highway and didn't know how he got there. I think it was after the Irving Plaza show.

• Like 1

I think it was in the Rolling Stone article, but I'm not 100% sure. He said that one night after a show, he was so out of it, he woke up in a park on the West Side Highway and didn't know how he got there. I think it was after the Irving Plaza show.

That is sad. :(

• Like 1

yes that was the one.
  • Like 1

I know I've said it before but how are people hearing "daddy" there? Just sounds like a random noise to me.

The thing is, though, many of those don't mean anything. How many shows has Billie been off key on before and after that? Loads. And this is by no means the first time he's forgotten lyrics to songs or changed around words to mock Mike. Just revisited some of the footage in the last few minutes and scrolled through to watch closeups of Tre and he looked just fine to me. And as I said, the park thing is obviously unfortunate but that's not part of the show itself.

Agreed. Getting emotional onstage, doing crazy/silly/over the top things onstage, playing around with lyrics to make Mike laugh and forgetting lyrics are all things that he's always done, part of his personality as a performer. So is being drunk at the time and doing them a bit more because of it. Of course that time and probably many other times before some of it might've been caused by or indicative of having gone too far with the drink/drugs or having problems with them at the time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that any of it was down to that at any given show let alone all of it.

On the 21st CB tour he saw someone causing trouble in the crowd, directed security to bring them forward, and spat a whole mouthful of spit in their face, got angry at a guitar being out of tune and chucked it across the stage, and went on several angry/drunken rants including the Steve Jobs one. In 2011 he played a semi private Foxboro show and was so drunk he pulled his pants down and urinated on the stage, not to mention all his other Foxboro antics. I don't think most of the stuff he did on stage at iHeart was that out of character for his current self. I agree it certainly would've appeared out of character to anyone not super familiar with the band so I do understand that reaction in the majority of people. But seeing Billie drunkenly try to kick a fan in the face and going lololol but then going "how distasteful!" when someone posts a photo of him pulling his pants down a bit at iHeart is never going to make complete sense to me.

Goddammit, I like to pretend the Steve Jobs rant doesn't exist... why did you have to remind me?! :lol:

Maybe I just wasn't as informed as I thought I was about his modern-day antics. To me, the stuff you described is just as cringe-worthy as iHeart Radio. I wouldn't laugh at him drunkenly trying to kick a fan in the face or spit on them. I think it's just as pathetic.

That's why I think, again, the high visibility of the iHeart Radio event is what makes it so notably terrible. This wasn't a Green Day concert, it was a widely broadcasted public spectacle and (to my knowledge) at similar events in the past, the shit he pulled certainly wouldn't fly. That isn't meant to diminish the things he did at Green Day shows — again, just trying to explain why iHeart Radio is so particularly cringe-worthy to me and to others.

And honestly, Foxboro Shows don't even count for me because "drunken shit show" is pretty much the premise...

• Like 2

That's why I think, again, the high visibility of the iHeart Radio event is what makes it so notably terrible. This wasn't a Green Day concert, it was a widely broadcasted public spectacle and (to my knowledge) at similar events in the past, the shit he pulled certainly wouldn't fly. That isn't meant to diminish the things he did at Green Day shows — again, just trying to explain why iHeart Radio is so particularly cringe-worthy to me and to others.

Yeah I'm with you there, the fact it was so public did make it different and a lot more significant (even if not all his antics were that different).

But even on the last couple of pages of this thread people are saying they're disturbed by Irving Plaza because we now know he had problems at the time, but there's no concern about the video of him drunkenly drop kicking a crowd member even though he's said on numerous occasions that he had problems with alcohol and was a mess then. I don't really think there needs to be for either, we have no idea how much of what he did onstage was because of that and how much was just his personality at either so I don't see the need to try and attribute everything to drink/drugs/personal problems, especially when his behaviour wasn't particularly out of the ordinary and only appears so with hindsight.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm with you there, the fact it was so public did make it different and a lot more significant (even if not all his antics were that different).

But even on the last couple of pages of this thread people are saying they're disturbed by Irving Plaza because we now know he had problems at the time, but there's no concern about the video of him drunkenly drop kicking a crowd member even though he's said on numerous occasions that he had problems with alcohol and was a mess then. I don't really think there needs to be for either, we have no idea how much of what he did onstage was because of that and how much was just his personality at either so I don't see the need to try and attribute everything to drink/drugs/personal problems, especially when his behaviour wasn't particularly out of the ordinary and only appears so with hindsight.

"Hindsight is 20/20," etc. for sure. Thanks to hindsight, it's impossible to really view anything objectively anymore.

But seriously, he's not saying "daddy" in that video... it's just gibberish, right?

I will say I was one of the first people (as well as not-mod Mar) to say "eh, something's not right" as the shit was going down in the iHeart Radio thread on here... A lot of other people were laughing about it at the time and cheering "Yeah Billie!!!" about it until after word came out he was going to rehab. Then, all of a sudden they were all offended by it. Before that, they were all offended by people like Mar and I for being to "sensitive" and not liking his "punk rocker" rant. It's easy to flip-flop your point of view once you know the whole story, I guess.

"Hindsight is 20/20," etc. for sure. Thanks to hindsight, it's impossible to really view anything objectively anymore.

But seriously, he's not saying "daddy" in that video... it's just gibberish, right?

I will say I was one of the first people (as well as not-mod Mar) to say "eh, something's not right" as the shit was going down in the iHeart Radio thread on here... A lot of other people were laughing about it at the time and cheering "Yeah Billie!!!" about it until after word came out he was going to rehab. Then, all of a sudden they were all offended by it. Before that, they were all offended by people like Mar and I for being to "sensitive" and not liking his "punk rocker" rant. It's easy to flip-flop your point of view once you know the whole story, I guess.

I was in the same crowd with you and Mar on that

Yeah to be fair some people did notice something was wrong at the time with iHeart, and were right. Not so much with shows preceding it though (other than the Steve Jobs rant), as far as I remember.

And indeed, it really doesn't sound like "daddy".

I didn't even know WhiteTim then. :cry:

I was also the one who kept arguing with folks that their set wasn't 40-45 mins they were contracted for 30 mins etc was called idiot and a liar etc

I was also the one who kept arguing with folks that their set wasn't 40-45 mins they were contracted for 30 mins etc was called idiot and a liar etc

Oh yeah!!! I remember now. The whole "we got cut short for Usher" thing that was total shit. Just Billie being a drunk idiot. :lol:

Goddammit, I like to pretend the Steve Jobs rant doesn't exist... why did you have to remind me?! :lol:

Maybe I just wasn't as informed as I thought I was about his modern-day antics. To me, the stuff you described is just as cringe-worthy as iHeart Radio. I wouldn't laugh at him drunkenly trying to kick a fan in the face or spit on them. I think it's just as pathetic.

I know I've heard of the Steve Jobs incident, but what exactly happened?

I don't know about other parts of the world, but iHeart was a big deal here. It was talked about, alot. Nice description.

We may not look at things objectively because of hindsight, but hindsight is a learning tool. It helps us see our mistakes and gives us the tools to correct them for the future.

You seem to indicating that you don't think that he was any different at iHeart than he was before. Do you think that the reason he went into rehab was because he was worse than he was before or just because the rant was at a national event?

I don't know about other parts of the world, but iHeart was a big deal here. It was talked about, alot. Nice description.

We may not look at things objectively because of hindsight, but hindsight is a learning tool. It helps us see our mistakes and gives us the tools to correct them for the future.

You seem to indicating that you don't think that he was any different at iHeart than he was before. Do you think that the reason he went into rehab was because he was worse than he was before or just because the rant was at a national event?

Was there a conversation with management before about him getting help but he said he had too much shit to do.

Was there a conversation with management before about him getting help but he said he had too much shit to do.

I thought he had said in the Rolling Stone interview that Pat Mangarella wanted him to go to rehab but he said after iHeart. Or something like that. But based on the conversation, I'm starting to wonder if he had been that bad for 20 years and only got rehab because of the venue this time.

I thought he had said in the Rolling Stone interview that Pat Mangarella wanted him to go to rehab but he said after iHeart. Or something like that. But based on the conversation, I'm starting to wonder if he had been that bad for 20 years and only got rehab because of the venue this time.

I heard someone here say someone said they wanted to cancel the Shepherd's Bush gig and get him to rehab, but I'm not sure of the source.

To be fair the embarrassment of iHeart could have been avoided if whoever was doing the sound had done their damn job. It was immediately obvious he was losing his shit, all they had to do was cut his mic and the entire rant could have been avoided. Whichever way you slice it someone must have known they could have put a stop to it but instead they went ahead and allowed it to become a spectacle.

• Like 3

On the last leg of the 21st CB tour in South America he went on one of his anti (certain aspects of) technology rants during a show. He was particularly wound up on this occasion and in the heat of it he said "I hope Steve Jobs dies of fucking cancer!". It was obviously really meant as an extreme way of saying "fuck technology" rather than a personal attack on Steve Jobs, but pretty harsh.

Oh no I do think he was different in that it was more extreme and a lot of his antics were definitely largely down to drink/drugs. I just don't think all his antics were that different or that they were all only as a result of drink/drugs.

I heard someone here say someone said they wanted to cancel the Shepherd's Bush gig and get him to rehab, but I'm not sure of the source.

Yeah Billie said that morning they'd told him they wanted him to cancel and go to rehab but he didn't want to so he went ahead with the show. I guess it must've been in that Rolling Stone interview since it's the only one he's done about it, have to check. That was the reason they were late on stage and Tre came out to play All By Myself to get the show started. Kind of crazy to know that when we were queuing all day and wondering what the hold up was all that was going on now, having been oblivious at the time.

• Like 2