Green Day 33 Day Challenge

GreenDayBillie

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 - which band member would you meet?

Again, Jason White should count, so I choose him. If not, Mike.

8. "It was time to raise the bar higher, or lower if you're doing limbo." I find that one pretty sweet.

Ew,I missed a few days :dry:

Day 6 ~ Favorite quote from Billie Joe?.

"The one thing that's always stuck with us is that we're crazy mother fuckers"

Day 7 ~ Favorite quote from Mike?

"All my religious beliefs are based on Star Wars."

Day 8 ~ Favorite quote from Tré?

"We're Green Day. We can do whatever we want."

Day 1: How I Discovered Green Day

First: hello, everyone! This will be my first post at GDC, and I'm excited to be part of the community. Don't worry about the crazy spelled-out-number username or even the J. David Ramsey name I've listed. You can call me Josh.

The Early Days (Not Yet Green)

By the summer of 1994, Green Day had not yet "grabbed me." I was 15, and to that point, my teenage years had been defined by the explosion of alternative music. Bands like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, and Nine Inch Nails became the first artists I really felt were "mine," or at least my generation's. I was especially into Nirvana, and so the months after April 1994 were understandably something of a "musical depression" for me. (Kurt Cobain committed suicide in April.)

"Longview" had been in heavy rotation on the radio and MTV for months by August, but I hadn't really been taken with it. I liked the song well enough, but buying Dookie wasn't a high priority for me. But, as time went on, I was hearing other tracks from the album that began to have a real effect. Before the end of my Freshman year of high school, one of the school clubs put on a lip-sync competition[1] in which a group of my friends mimed a performance of "She." That was the first time I really noticed how powerful Green Day really was, being especially awestruck by their mastery of strong melody and harmony — not to mention the raw power and dynamics.

Still, teenagers don't normally have the expendable income to act on their whims, so the feeling that I had to have Dookie faded as time passed without finding the money to buy the album.[2]

The Final Discovery

So, I found myself in August, cooling down in my basement during a midday break from summer marching band camp, watching a VHS tape of the Woodstock '94 pay-per-view coverage from the previous weekend. My friend had convinced his parents to pay the $100 or so for the 72 hour broadcast[3], and I was the lucky one to get to borrow his VHS recordings first — the day after it ended. The tape played in the background as I mucked about with my computer Bulletin Board System[4]. I hadn't been paying attention, but for some reason I turned around because somebody was making fun of the "brown acid" scare from the first Woodstock. It was Green Day, so I left my computer to watch the performance in full, rewinding the tape to the beginning of the first song, "Welcome to Paradise."

The energy of Green Day's short set gobsmacked[5] me. Everything about the performance — from the songs themselves to the insane mud fight and near riot — was an eye-opener. I immediately watched the set again, before it was time to go to evening band rehearsal. And, as if fate were finally putting me solidly in the Green Day camp, another friend in the band had brought a portable stereo to the field, and all of us sat around it during breaks to listen to Dookie and Kerplunk on tape. I was finally a real Green Day fan, and apparently the way I talked about it that evening at dinner convinced my mother of this fact. The next day when she picked me up from band practice, she gave me my first copy of Dookie, which she'd bought for me that morning.

Legacy

Green Day was the first band since Nirvana that I would listen to constantly. For many months, it's no exaggeration to say that for every one song I listened to by any other band, I would listen to eight Green Day songs. Also, Green Day's music is what finally convinced me to learn guitar, which I still play to this day — 17 years later.

I'm sad to say that I "fell out of touch" with the guys for many years, as my tastes shifted to (don't gasp) progressive rock, jazz, and classical music. While I don't regret getting into these other genres, I do regret missing out on about seven years of Green Day's development. Luckily, they easily won me back over with American Idiot (in my opinion, the greatest rock album of the decade). In 2009, I traveled 600 miles to Chicago expressly to see Green Day — my first Green Day show, in fact.

So, if you look at the figures for iTunes and iPod "play counts," you will find that this guy — who considers Gustav Mahler, Igor Stravinsky, Miles Davis, and Yes amongst his favorite artists — has listened to Green Day songs far more often than anything else over the last five years. As much as any other musician or composer, Green Day has left an indelible mark on the way I approach my own playing and songwriting, regardless of whether I'm working on a punk-inspired song or a massive progressive epic.

All I can say is, Green Day has made my world a much more enjoyable place to live. Thank you!

Notes (Because Too Many Parentheses Make Jack a Dull Boy — These Parentheses Notwithstanding)

1. Our school's lip-sync competitions were called — rather unimaginatively and potentially trademark-infringingly — "Puttin' On the Hits." Is anybody else old enough to remember that TV show? ;)
  2. I miss some things about my teenage years, but definitely not the typical teenager's cash flow!
  3. Not to mention another $100 or more for the 40 videotapes he bought to record all 72 hours in high-quality Standard Play (SP).
  4. One of my hobbies was running a computer Bulletin Board System (BBS). Users called my computer using a dial-up modem, and participated in message boards, played online games, and downloaded files. Best part: everything was text, and only one person could use the BBS at a time. Without any irony, I can say that it was amazing.
  5. I should apologize for being a pretentious wanker who uses British slang, despite being from the US Midwest. ;) ("Gobsmacked" is the same as being "blown away" or "amazed.")

I'm incredibly late on this but I want to try! :happy:

Day #1- Green Day has always been in my life ever since I was a kid. I remember listening to When I Come Around, Redundant, and Good Riddance on the radio during the 90s. Despite always listening to them, I never bought any of their cds until my friend told me I should buy 21CB back in 2009. 8 Green Day cds bought later, here I am!

Day 6 ~ Favorite quote from Billie Joe?

I don't want to limit myself musically. It would be really limiting if we'd neglect something we really want to do, like explore other styles of music.

1) My brother got in to them before me. He bought Dookie i think, and then i heard it and the rest is history!

Day 3 ~ Which band member inspires you the most?

To be cliche, I'm inspired by the whole band, not just one of them. I have a favourite member (as mentioned yesterday) but when it comes to who inspires me the most, I can't pick. Without one, the other bit wouldn't work. :)

Day 11 ~ Favorite Mike picture?

oh, so many favorites! I'll go with this one cause is kinda new

dirnt.jpg

Day 5 ~ If you had the chance to ask Green Day something, what would you ask them?

Oh geez. There are so many things I'd like to ask them. Off hte top of my head:

What is your favorite song to play live?

Who would you like to tour with?

Any embarrassing secrets/qualities about you that you would be willing to share? Anything about the other two that hasn't been shared that should?

What made you decide to wear eyeliner?

Do you think that you'll ever decide to rerecord any of C&V? Why or why not?

What's a typical day in the studio like for y'all?

What's it like hearing yourself on the radio?

For Billie:

Exactly how many guitars do you have? How often do you buy more?

So many questions. :lol:

Day 5: If I had one question to ask them...

I really don't know about this one. Honestly I wouldn't ask them a question. Maybe "could you sign my t-shirt/album/whatever I have with me at the time.

Apart from that I have no questions.

Archived