"American Idiot" Musical Tour

plaid ducky

I really want to see this again :(

Does anyone know what was supposed to be going on during the scene where they sing Wake Me Up When September Ends? I had a feeling they were watching the towers fall but I feel like I'm wrong.

Most of the previous cast left the tour after their run in South Korea, which is why there's new actors!

Oh bad, I liked Rebecca and John (and Tony Viencent of course). Well actuely I day that but I've never seen the show.

They won't play AI again then ?

Oh bad, I liked Rebecca and John (and Tony Viencent of course). Well actuely I day that but I've never seen the show.

They won't play AI again then ?

No, they won't. Rebecca, John and Tony were all a part of the Broadway cast but this is the third touring cast. :)

• Like 1

interview with new tunny

Based on Green Day's GRAMMY® Award-winning multi-platinum album, AMERICAN IDIOT boldly takes the American musical where it's never gone before. As the shows tours throughout North America, Broadway World caught up with actor Dan Tracy who plays the role of Tunny in his award winning show. Dan shared with me his experiences and his feelings of being a part of this award-winning show.

Tell us a little bit about your experience in college and some of the shows you were in.

In the spring, I just graduated from the University of Michigan. I studied in their musical theater program there and received a bachelor's in Fine Arts. It was a really great experience. I loved going to school in Michigan even though it was a little too cold for me. When I was there I did a few plays some student run and some main stage. My favorite was a play called, "Our Country's Good" which is a play from the 80's. I also was able to dance in the ensemble of "Chicago" and I played a leading role in "Little Women" directed by one of our alums who was actually in the original company on Broadway so that was a really awesome experience. I loved my time in Michigan and it was a great school.

How did you get started performing?

When I was a little kid, I was the person in church who sang too loud at mass so my mom put me in the children's choir when I was in first grade; basically as soon as you could read you could be in the children's choir. So, I did that and through that I got my first performance opportunity which was in a little sit down production of a one man show written by John Lithgow and that was a really cool experience. It was at this big theater where I'm from in Providence, Rhode Island and from there my parents just saw that it really excited me and I was super into it so I started doing more serious work in middle school and then did all the shows in my high school in Providence and then decided to study it in college. I always felt passionate about it and wanted to be where I am now and it's great to be here.

When did you start with AMERICAN IDIOT?

I just joined the company in August. It was a long casting process that started pretty much right after my senior showcase in May. I got the appointment from the senior showcase and from there had my initial appointment and I went on to do summer jobs and then callbacks and we started rehearsals early in September. We rehearsed for 2 weeks then we went onto Vegas and did some previews in Vegas and teched our new production there. People were returning who were in last year but I think there's only 5 of them left of the 16; the other people, they're all new company members and I'm one of them.

What interested you in auditioning for AMERICAN IDIOT?

I was always a Green Day fan. When I was in middle school, one of the first CDs I ever bought and learned all the way through. As somebody who grew up in the post 9/11 - being so young when it happened - really, this album just kind of spoke to me even though I have a very supportive family and I grew up in a very different situation than the characters in this show. It still felt like it resonated with me. From then I've really always had it in my sights and I was fortunate enough to see it on Broadway right before it closed. It was really just something different. I've seen a lot of shows and it's in its own world the way the ensemble thrives. The story is told so effectively and powerfully. It's an amazing show and it's awesome to be a part of it. People (should) come to our show with an open mind and an open heart and willing to listen to the story because I think it's really beautiful and it may come across as violent or angry but it's also equally as joyful and it's as much about love as it is about rage. We are excited to be in Texas. I can't wait.

What have you learned by playing the role of Tunny?

I found a lot of different aspects of my life to reach into this place. It's very difficult to understand what it's like to go to a war and to fight and right now, it's a very difficult climate in the Middle East and that is something that my character has to do through something really difficult but I found a lot of interesting documentaries Restrepo and American History X and it's been really interesting to try and find what this hardcore cultural life in Oakland and then translate that to somebody who drops everything and goes off to fight in the war and eventually my character has a really tragic event happens while he's over there and then discovering what that might be like for me even though it's not happening. It really taught me a lot about how to understand the blessings that I have and to be happier every single day.

What has been the best part about touring with AMERICAN IDIOT?

Seeing places that I never would go. We're doing a lot of smaller - San Antonio one of the bigger cities we will visit but we've done all over Washington State, we just played Saskatoon Saskatchewan and I couldn't have told you where that was on a map but being able to get on the bus and go between all these different cities has been really amazing to see all these different places and meet all the different people; to do our show for lots of different people and see the way they see things in each place and then spread the story that is a great story.

Do you get a chance to go sightseeing?

I try my best. When we're doing a lot of one-nighters it's hard because we're on the bus all day travelling from one place to the other then we get up and do the show. I was able to see a lot of Portland. I went hiking in Portland. I had a lot of fun in Vegas exploring. I've gotten around some places in Washington and I've just been exploring in Edmonton all morning where we are now. So it's nice. I'm excited for San Antonio and I really want to see the Riverwalk.

How are you celebrating Thanksgiving?

We are going to be on the bus all day. That's unfortunate but I think we're doing to stream the Macy's Parade to the bus to watch it on our TV so that will be nice and remind me of home. Friday, actually, the venue in Regina actually gonna make a Thanksgiving dinner for us which is so nice. So, we're gonna celebrate with the cast on Friday and have a nice sit down meal.

If you had not gotten into show business, what would you have done?

That's a hard question because I've been brewing this idea for such a long time. My dad always says that I should just have been a lawyer and I never have to worry about paying the bills. I guess there's always that. I've always been the Type A outgoing personality that suits being a performer so probably something, maybe politics or something in that vein; law. I'm very interested in producing and writing and that stuff as well even though I'm also an actor. Maybe I would have found that even if I didn't pursue acting. Not quite sure.

What advice do you have for anyone who is thinking about getting into the business?

That's a really good question. I think the biggest thing for me was trying to find the best opportunities for yourself in the place where you live. I think the best way to do that is to try and find the people's whose careers you idolize noW. Maybe they're from the place where you are or they've done something that you respect. I think my best advice would be to go out and try to engage with those people. I think performers, especially in the beginning of their careers are super willing to help people out and to talk people and to reach out to people who are interested and I think that's a really great opportunity for a high school student to try to find the people who have just graduated from colleges and stuff like that through social networking and really try to get advice on what to do. Just putting yourself out there and reaching out to people is the best way to find opportunities that you would not have known just from doing a simple Google search.

I still haven't had chance to see this :(

Terrible fan.

Thanks for the download, by the way!

What download?

What download?

Pretty sure another thread was merged with this one, someone had a download of one of the shows. Can't seem to find it now though.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the musical yesterday night in Montreal. It was awsome! Unfortunately, my cousin wanted to buy the program, but it was already sold out just before the show started. He made a promess to a friend to bring back one.

I saw the musical yesterday night in Montreal. It was awsome! Unfortunately, my cousin wanted to buy the program, but it was already sold out just before the show started. He made a promess to a friend to bring back one.

I saw the musical two days ago and I agree with you. It was awesome! :runaround: I saw the program when I bought my t-shirt, but I didn't buy it... Is there something special inside that I don't know? :o

Saw this about a month ago at the Plaza Theater. Here's what I thought of it:

I honestly was pretty afraid of how this would turn out, but once I heard it was coming to my city, I got tickets since I liked Green Day. I was afraid that the cast would butcher the songs from the album, and would turn out like Glee.

The whole cast was extremely talented. Jared Neptune (Johnny) and Dan Tracy (Tunny) were standouts. The stage was fantastic, and the theatrics and scenery/special effects were great. Some of the 'covers' were better than others, but everything was pretty good. Some of the faster-paced songs were more intriguing than others. Although, some of the slower 'covers' tended to bore me. Especially When It's Time, which I've never been a big fan of.

What lacked for me, was definitely character development. No characters had that great of development and depth, and I felt like some of the scenes were rushed and could of been slowed down to a point. Although, the 90 minute run time was perfect. Not too long, not too short.

The whole She's A Rebel mash-up with Last of the American Girls was pretty dreadful, and Favorite Son was pretty awful, too. Jesus of Suburbia was definitely a standout. I didn't feel like all of the 21st Century Breakdown songs were needed, as well as some of the American Idiot B-Sides.

The whole sex scene with Whatsername and Johnny was pretty awkward, as tons of elderly people were in the audience. I saw a handful of people leave, which I though was pretty rude. Plus, my grandma and mom were with me :lol:

So, overall I thought it was pretty good. Surpassed my extremely low expectations, but still didn't have the exact wow factor that I wish it could of had. I'd give it a solid B.

interview with new Johnny

24F820ED7-A13A-F7C9-7061BF1A91858CAC.jpg

Jared Nepute plays the role of Johnny in the tour of AMERICAN IDIOT. He has learned a lot while playing the role and it has helped him as he makes plans for his future.

How did you first get interested in being in theater?

Oh, going way back. I got into in music at a young age. I was playing piano at 5 at the request of my mom. She is my biggest motivator. She heard me sing one day and thought I had a good voice so she told me I should do choir at school. It just snowballed from there. I started doing talent shows at school. Then I started doing honors choir and I started performing in the plays. Before I knew it, it was a huge part of my life and I was still undecided what I wanted to do career wise until probably junior year of high school. I was doing SINGING IN THE RAIN. I learned how to tap dance for it. I just fell in love with it and decided that this was what I wanted to do with my life. I did a summer program at NYU and got accepted just by doing the summer program. I didn't have to audition. It all really fell into place on its own which is so funny looking back on it.

What are some of the best roles you have played in the past?

That's a great question. I was Gabe in NEXT TO NORMAL. That was definitely up there. I played Anthony in SWEENEY TODD. That was awesome because that was at NYU and I was singing behind a 30 piece orchestra so it had the magnitude of the sound that you really want when you're doing a show like SWEENEY TODD. Also, I loved playing Matthew in ALTER BOYZ. That's a guilty pleasure for sure.

Tell us a little more about AMERICAN IDIOT.

It's 3 best friends, Will, Tunny and Johnny, who's my character, and they are living in post 9/11 suburbia. They are representing this disenfranchised youth who feel like they were promised this American dream and it's just not working out for them. Johnny gets this great idea for the 3 of them to move to New York City to get away from this kind of lie that they see. The problem is Will finds out that his girlfriend is pregnant so he stays behind in suburbia and then Tunny doesn't see himself in the city so he joins the war in Iraq. Johnny ends up living in New York City on his own. That's where he finds Whatshername who is the woman that he falls in love with and together they spiral into this dangerous cycle of drug addiction. The story is about these 3 men and how they find themselves over the course of the show and the different choices that they make and how it affects them and their relationships at the end of the show.

Were you a Green Day fan before you got the part?

Oh definitely, yeah. When I was a kid I listened to the "Dookie" album and I thought their sound was just so cool. I definitely appreciated Green Day. Green Day, Weezer, Blink 182.

What are some of the things you have learned by performing in AMERICAN IDIOT?

Really (laughs) too many things to even say. It's been incredible just the caliber of professionals that I've been working with as far as on the creative team even the cast members. Everyone is so good at what they do and it's incredible to have that kind of direction. When you surround yourself with high caliber people, it makes you elevate your game in a sense. I've learned so many things that it's hard to even narrow it down one specific thing.

How did you get the role of Johnny in AMERICAN IDIOT?

I started auditioning for the role in New York in May (2013) and I had something like 7 callbacks all the way from May 'til August until I officially got the role. They put me through the hoops and you have to sing, play guitar, dance, do some of the monologue. I just kept coming back and more and more people were in the room for every callback and more of the creative team saw me and put their opinions in and helped me get the role.

Did you play guitar before you got the role?

I actually started playing guitar 2 years ago. I just taught myself because luckily I had piano under my belt so that made it easier than someone who hadn't had any sort of instrument background. I've been playing for 2 years now, self-taught. I'm so glad I did.

What are some of the hardest things about playing Johnny?

The hardest part would be trying to find the line between...he says in the show, "I'm the son of rage and love." The rage aspect is supposed to represent his abusive father and the love aspect is supposed to represent his mother. I feel like it's very easy for an actor to go to an angrier side just because anger is something that's more easily accessible as an action to play. So for me it was trying to find that balance of yes I have something; I'm an angsty 20 something that felt like he's been dealt a bad life. But at the same time, there's a certain relief and release about saying all these things that I've never been able to communicate ever until right now until this moment and so there's this certain joy and love that comes out of a group of 20 actors saying this same message to the audience. It's finding that fine line between this angst and euphoria of being able to communicate this message.

Was it hard to be able to be on the scaffolding and have it tilted over while you were on it dancing and singing?

I trust them with my entire life which as you see it is on the line there. The first time was a little frightening but after that...I know I'm in really really good hands. There are so many parts in the show where it looks like I could get hurt or something really bad could happen but everything has been broKen Down step by step so that we're always in control of the situation. I never feel scared or anything like that, which is great.

Have there ever been any mishaps during a performance?

When we were doing tech rehearsals in Las Vegas, I actually received 3 stitches because I was doing a quick change and it's at the very end of the show when I come out in that fur jacket and the party hat. I was going too fast and I told the crew guy to open the door so I didn't miss my cue. His foot stopped the door from opening fully and I was running on to make it. So I smack my eyebrow right into the corner of the door. It just started bleeding all over the place. I had to go to the ER and get my 3 stiches. That was one moment in the show where we didn't take it slow and figure it out step by step, how to open a door. I didn't even think I was bleeding but all of a sudden people looked at me and they're like, "Stop, stop. Everyone hold" and I feel my head and it's just dripping, dripping.

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years and in 10 years?

Obviously, Broadway is the goal so that is definitely in my 5 to 10 year plan. I live in New York and I'm gonna stick with that, keep auditioning and I feel so fortunate because this role really can keep elevating my career. It's such a notable role and people know exactly who I am and will know I was on the tour. It's really a big deal for me especially.

Do you have any dream roles you would like to play?

I want to play the lead in ONCE. That's probably my dream right now. It's something I think I can play in 5 years.

If you had not gotten into theater what would you have done?

Something still in the arts. I'm a music person. I would probably get into something like film score composing just because I have that piano background. It's a weird fallback I guess but it's in the same industry.

Have you written a lot of music yourself? And have you recorded any of it?

Yeah, I have. On piano and guitar. I've done some singer songwriter kind of things too. I've recorded some of it. I haven't released it to the public yet because I'm still a little not sure if I like it but I'm going to get more into that while we're on tour because we have some time to do some other things.

Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about getting into musical theatre?

My advice would be to go for it. Really study hard and work hard to better yourself and to make yourself a better performer. Take the classes and take the lessons. When you go to that place of a hard work ethic, kinda decide is this what I can myself doing every day for the rest of my life. It's all about persistence and not giving in and just going for it and always being emotionally available too which is hard to for some people to always put yourself out there like that. There's always the fear of rejection. I've been rejected probably 5 times more than I've gotten the roles. It's something you have to get used to and you have to develop a thick skin but if you have all those qualities then absolutely. It's a very fulfilling life.

AMERICAN IDIOT plays at Bass Concert Hall in Austin, Texas from January 14-19, 2014. Tickets can be purchased by going to Texas Performing Arts website.

I'm going to the musical on Friday in Sioux Falls and I'm so stoked!

I'm hoping there's some old people there who just came for fun and have no idea who Green Day is haha

I saw the musical two days ago and I agree with you. It was awesome! :runaround: I saw the program when I bought my t-shirt, but I didn't buy it... Is there something special inside that I don't know? :o

No, there was nothing special inside the program. It was the same program as the one sold when it was on Broadway. My cousin's friend wanted one because she doesn't live near a place where the musical goes. My cousin bought her a keychain instead.

The new Extraordinary Girl scene is simple: the girl just dances around and on Tunny. No more things to say about it.